Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
If you are in love with your spouse, seeing where he or she works is a big deal!

Don't you want to see the world where they are when you are apart? Don't you want to meet the coworkers they talk about? She how their office is decorate d? See if there are any pictures of you? Meet their boss who she complains about all the time? Curiosity is part of being in love!
To you it is.

To others, I agree, not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:37 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
If you are in love with your spouse, seeing where he or she works is a big deal!
Isn't it possible that what is a big deal to one person may not be to another?

Quote:
Don't you want to see the world where they are when you are apart?
For me, yeah. I dated a woman who was an air traffic controller. Her work was fascinating.
I dated a neuroscientist. Her work was fascinating.
I dated a teacher. Her work was interesting.
I dated my boss. We worked together.
I'm dating an actress/producer/model. I've seen her on sets and shoots. Always interesting.

Quote:
Don't you want to meet the coworkers they talk about?
There are other ways to go about that.

Quote:
She how their office is decorate d?
Not something I'd care about.

Quote:
See if there are any pictures of you?
Not something that I care about.

Quote:
Meet their boss who she complains about all the time?
Why would I want to meet someone she complains about all the time?
Plus, I wouldn't have to go to her work to do so.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I don't think it is a huge great big deal, but I have been there...several times. We talk about one anothers day together so when he tells me which equipment failed or what/where he was working that day, it is nice to have a visual to know what he is talking about.

I have met one of his co workers and that is about it. He supervises a metal recycling place and people bring all kinds of crap in there.

It is pretty fun going there on the weekends with my boots on and walking around and looking at things there. Also pretty neat to take pictures of it all. Of course I only do that when they are closed.

I am not working right now but he had not been to my workplace prior, when I was.... It was probably stressful enough hearing about it...

Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times
Quote:

Don't you want to see the world where they are when you are apart? Don't you want to meet the coworkers they talk about? She how their office is decorate d? See if there are any pictures of you? Meet their boss who she complains about all the time? Curiosity is part of being in love!
It's cool to see where she works, but I wouldn't be distraught if I didn't see her cubicle.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Yes, they spend a lot of time there. So what? Your spouse spends a lot of time on the can too... do you want to be there for that as well?

If it a big deal for someone, then certainly go. However, there is no absolute relationship need for one to see a spouse's cube or office environment.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:53 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:

I think you make some valid points Mr. Spock.

In a world where its all about "ME" it is no shock to see spouses not interested in the others work place.

I agree it should be an option. However, if your SO is reluctant to invite you to their work place for some reason or another it should be a red flag.

Lots of cheating in the work place is all I'm saying.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:

Not when the office is 30 minutes away and she doesn't usually even have time to take a pee break let along usher me around a bunch of cubicles.

My workplace is even farther away.

I already know what is in the cubicle (which pictures, which coffee mug, etc).
I met the coworkers socially.

I went to her other two job locations, but that was because I was either visiting from out of town or I had business to conduct (financial stuff). Her latest workplace has a lot of security.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
A group of family were sitting around talking and one person talked about how his wife had started a new job about eight months ago. I asked if he had been down to her office to check it out and got a long hard stare. Finally after the longest time he, said, "why in God's name would I want to go see some generic office building and cubical?' I said, "because your wife works there and that is her world for a third of her waking life." Then both wife and husband piped in and told me it was silly for them to be concerned or interested in seeing the exact office building, cubical or workplace of their spouse.

I could not disagree more! My wife is always talking about her coworkers, her conversations at lunch in the break room, the copier machine that always breaks down, the good looking guy in the next cubicle and all the other things that goes on at her office. She is my wife, I should be interested and wanted to see what she was talking about as soon as possible.

Which side are you on. Me with my natural curiosity about my wife's work world and environment, or my relatives who think visiting their spouses office is crazy and unnecessary?
I'd be curious to see, no matter how unglamorous his working condition is.

They used to have family days at work (especially corporate family type venues) where people bring their spouses and kids to their work and have a BBQ luncheon there or at the beach or something.

Besides, engaging oneself in his/her spouse's place of work helps to deepen your level of empathy.. especially when you get to watch them in their natural working environment.. helps you to appreciate the hard work and effort they put in.

Maybe your relatives are afraid of looking wierd so they rather not? Some people really care about what others think. Bleh

Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 PM

318 posts, read 566,894 times
There of course no right or wrong answer to this question but if I were with a spouse who showed no interest in seeing where I work and hearing about my day at work I would likely be seeing a divorce attorney!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I've seen hubbies and he saw mine, not out of a curiosity to see, but we were there for other reasons. I DO like meeting the co-workers though. It's easier to put names with faces when he talks about them.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships