Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 12:45 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,151 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this and I have this idea that probably 90% of everyone on a dating site is not serious about actually finding a relationship. I truly believe the majority are either there for sex (something like 40% of people on dating sites are married) or looking to respond to people just for fun. There is also the delusional factor where people have stringent requirements that they know are probably unlikely but they try, like a 50 year old obese man who wants a 18-25 year old buxom blonde.

I did have a membership to a paid religious site that expired last fall and the majority of the men who contacted me were jokes. Quite a few were people in other countries who would chat with me but no intention of dating (this was true for me too). Others were so delusional like 60 year old men. Very few actually wanted to find a wife. Even on a religious site there was many men (women I'm sure too)only looking for sex and one guy was married. Then again the last few months of the site I considered it a joke. Definitely true with the free sites and though I have profiles on two of these one is used to post at a forum and the other I keep forgetting about. Even when men contact me on these sites (only one has a photo which I need to remove)I know they have no interest in me, but just want a friend or a bed buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Not everyone is looking to be in a relationship. Not exactly an "aha" moment.

It was only 3 years ago that I was on a dating site, and yeah, guys outside of my parameters contacted me. Big whoop. Bunch of guys 50 and over and a bunch 30 and under. I would certainly never mock them, or think they have no right to contact me.

I didn't need 100 men, I just needed one. And yeah, out of 100's I found my one. Online dating, is just faster evolution, and greater number version of dating in day- to-day life.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM

I get that, but why then pay for a site? If I wasn't looking for a relationship I wouldn't bother with dating sites and if I was looking for sex I would be honest upfront.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:02 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I get that, but why then pay for a site? If I wasn't looking for a relationship I wouldn't bother with dating sites and if I was looking for sex I would be honest upfront.
Maybe they WERE looking for a relationship, but didn't think they wanted one with you, but thought sex would be an option.

Part of the time I was on a dating site I was NOT looking for a relationship, just someone to have fun with. It is called a DATING site, not a RELATIONSHIP site.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,782,798 times
Quote:
I was thinking about this and I have this idea that probably 90% of everyone on a dating site is not serious about actually finding a relationship. I truly believe the majority are either there for sex (something like 40% of people on dating sites are married) or looking to respond to people just for fun. There is also the delusional factor where people have stringent requirements that they know are probably unlikely but they try,

After 17 years online the main thing that I've learned it that the internet makes most people feel like they are more "grand" than they really are.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM

I'm not talking me, talking about these people in general.One guy said he subscribed just to post on the forums.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,782,798 times
Quote:
talking about these people in general.One guy said he subscribed just to post on the forums.
That's who I'm talking about. I've spent a little time on these sites and many of these people act like they are the s*it but you know that they aren't. I saw one woman's profile say one time that she is "extremely selfish." At least she was honest and she wasn't a looker either! But statements like that don't scream "serious" to me.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:45 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,089 times
I can't believe I'm going to agree with you, but I am. Most people I met did not want serious relationships.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:51 PM

249 posts, read 312,467 times
Yes totally agree with OP. Most of the men on there are probably just looking for sex,and a lot of the pretty women who are on dating sites that say they are single. Are probably in ****ty relationships just looking for some kind of outlet. Or an email buddy or something.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
That's who I'm talking about. I've spent a little time on these sites and many of these people act like they are the s*it but you know that they aren't. I saw one woman's profile say one time that she is "extremely selfish." At least she was honest and she wasn't a looker either! But statements like that don't scream "serious" to me.
I was responding to another comment but yep way too many delusional people of both genders. It's one thing to have standards, another to have unrealistic standards, like wanting a woman 30+ years younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships