Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,646,990 times

Advertisements

I usually don't pay attention when these things appear on my news feed but I found this one interesting.

What is your take on it?

Quote:
There is a purpose for everyone you meet. Some people will test you, some will use you, and some will teach you; but most importantly some will bring out the best in you. Learn to see and accept the differences between these people, and carry on accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
Relationship Rules on Facebook-screen-shot-2013-04-30-1.31.37  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,709,425 times
It's one of those trite platitudes that people love to post on Facebook. It goes hand in hand with other meaningless crap like "everything happens for a reason" and "this too shall pass".

Old 04-30-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
It's one of those trite platitudes that people love to post on Facebook. It goes hand in hand with other meaningless crap like "everything happens for a reason" and "this too shall pass".
I disagree (I think it's much worse than that), but will wait and see how other other weigh in.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,989,630 times
at Djuna.

It's one of those wisdom statements meant to inspire. Yeah, it's true. but at the end of the day you still have to deal with the individual details of your life.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,388,887 times
i dont understand? isnt that obvious, its like saying some food u like, some u wont, some might make u sick, and some will be ur favorite u taste.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:06 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,709,425 times
People look for simple reasons and processes in life. It makes it easier to comprehend the complexities. I view these types of sayings as nice little ways to explain life for the simple minded. Many people like to see simplicity, complexity is far too difficult to get your head around so it's very understandable people are drawn to these platitudes.

Logically however that particular "rule" you posted simply isn't true. You attract people in to your life in a far more complex fashion based on many aspects, your upbringing, your genetic predisposition, your state of mind, your circumstances, etc. Few have the capacity to truly analyse their friendships/acquaintances.

I think I have the most issue with the suggestion that things are preordained. I simply don't believe in this philosophical idea.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:12 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,444,235 times
I often get something useful even out of trite platitudes. This one is a reminder that people play different roles in our lives, if we choose to learn from them. Of course things are far more complex, but let's not forget the value of simple things. As Djuna implies, this "purpose" can be interpreted as "higher purpose", which IMO is just wrong. The purpose is the one which YOU give them - if any.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:17 PM

See to me this pithy little statement is perfect for modern times in which narcissism is the norm. It states that relationships and interactions with other people should solely be viewed through the prism of oneself and one's own needs. It states you should be on the look out for those who bring out the best in you, rather than stating that you should be your best person for those you meet. Very narcissistic, which of course is what Facebook is all about.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,388,887 times
[quote=OngletNYC;29360244]See to me this pithy little statement is perfect for modern times in which narcissism is the norm. It states that relationships and interactions with other people should solely be viewed through the prism of oneself and one's own needs. It states you should be on the look out for those who bring out the best in you, rather than stating that you should be your best person for those you meet. Very narcissistic, which of course is what Facebook is all about.[/quote]

Bingo which is why i decided to deactivate facebook 2 weeks ago and havent looked back since. I have realized that not using facebook keeps me living in the present. I wouldnt spend hours on it but i got tired of the narcissism aspect and figure that those i wish to talk to and keep in touch with can call or email me.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 PM

87 posts, read 147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
People look for simple reasons and processes in life. It makes it easier to comprehend the complexities. I view these types of sayings as nice little ways to explain life for the simple minded. Many people like to see simplicity, complexity is far too difficult to get your head around so it's very understandable people are drawn to these platitudes.

Logically however that particular "rule" you posted simply isn't true. You attract people in to your life in a far more complex fashion based on many aspects, your upbringing, your genetic predisposition, your state of mind, your circumstances, etc. Few have the capacity to truly analyse their friendships/acquaintances.

I think I have the most issue with the suggestion that things are preordained. I simply don't believe in this philosophical idea.

Couldn't rep you again, but I entirely agree with this. It's way more complex and I don't believe anything "happens for a reason" or with purpose. Life is haparzadous, and what we attract, people we like/dislike has to do with the factors mentioned above as well as our psychological pathology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships