Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times

Advertisements

A coworker of mine wrote a note to me today since I was on a call "what do you think about a movie sometime?". I wrote back "Sorry I have a boyfriend. But thank you". and then he writes back that he didnt' mean it as a date, just something to do out of boredom.....ya sure.

A similar situation happened to me a year ago. I was talking to a guy online and he was on vacation but by the time he came back for us to meet up, I was with my boyfriend. I politely said that I was now seeing someone and he goes "well I just wanted to hang out..lol..but let me know if it doesn't work out"...ha.

Strange responses to rejections, I tell ya! just wanted to share since I find it funny and would love to hear everyone else's stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 10:37 PM

31 posts, read 60,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
A coworker of mine wrote a note to me today since I was on a call "what do you think about a movie sometime?". I wrote back "Sorry I have a boyfriend. But thank you". and then he writes back that he didnt' mean it as a date, just something to do out of boredom.....ya sure.

A similar situation happened to me a year ago. I was talking to a guy online and he was on vacation but by the time he came back for us to meet up, I was with my boyfriend. I politely said that I was now seeing someone and he goes "well I just wanted to hang out..lol..but let me know if it doesn't work out"...ha.

Strange responses to rejections, I tell ya! just wanted to share since I find it funny and would love to hear everyone else's stories!
I got your response quite a few times doing online dating (as the only responses), and I replied the same way. I was serious, since I'm still new here and wouldn't mind meeting new people. They replied 'lol'.

I was sad.

Your post makes me a very saaaaaad panda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fEzj0ZCJ0

ps: I thought women are supposed to be very empathetic...motherly instinct and all... :/

Old 04-30-2013, 10:37 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
That is not pride or ego, that's them trying to hang on/hang around and take the back door route through friendship. This is most of the time not intentional or premeditated though, so it's not meant in a malicious way. They're probalby not even conscious of what they are doing. It's not a bad thing either way.

Last edited by srjth; 04-30-2013 at 10:49 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:

You know, it's often a very worthwhile pursuit to make an effort to slide into another person shoes, so to speak, and try to walk around in them for a while.

It's not easy being the one who is expected to always make the first move. Rejection stings - even when the person doing the rejecting is as nice about it as possible.

Men aren't "funny about rejection" - they are just doing the best they can to not feel like an idiot for going out on a limb and taking a chance only to be shot down.

Just food for thought

Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
That is not pride or ego, that's them trying to hang on/hang around and take the back door route through friendship.
oh ya. I know that. Its just funny.

mozzila-what the boyfriend response? I wasn't lying about that to this guy though.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You know, it's often a very worthwhile pursuit to make an effort to slide into another person shoes, so to speak, and try to walk around in them for a while.

It's not easy being the one who is expected to always make the first move. Rejection stings - even when the person doing the rejecting is as nice about it as possible.

Men aren't "funny about rejection" - they are just doing the best they can to not feel like an idiot for going out on a limb and taking a chance only to be shot down.

Just food for thought
I understand, but I don't think he was hurt at all. I've only spoken to him at work today. It was the first time we officially had "met". Now if I could tell he took all the courage (We were both busy working so I wasn't paying attention to the fact that he was trying to feel me out) and it was hard for him, I wouldn't find it funny. I'm sorry if my post offended you..

Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:

how is that even bad? it's not even something funny enough to share..

fail thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 PM

31 posts, read 60,574 times
Quote:
oh ya. I know that. Its just funny.

mozzila-what the boyfriend response? I wasn't lying about that to this guy though.
It doesn't matter. Understand what its like to spend hours every day sending out responses to random people you don't know...and they never have the courtosey to respond with even the 1/20 of the attention you gave them....in fact, I'm no more than a joke to them.

What's the harm in getting to know new people? Maybe you could introduce them to your single friends, if they are cool people.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
how is that even bad? it's not even something funny enough to share..
Never said it was bad...eh..I guess my humor is different and a bit dry.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzillameister View Post
It doesn't matter. Understand what its like to spend hours every day sending out responses to random people you don't know...and they never have the courtosey to respond with even the 1/20 of the attention you gave them....in fact, I'm no more than a joke to them.

What's the harm in getting to know new people? Maybe you could introduce them to your single friends, if they are cool people.
I did offer him my number if he wanted to hang as friends. I have single friends that I may want him to meet. who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships