Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by genger View Post
Thanks. I want suggestions like this. appreciate that. I'm sick of everyone telling me to break up with him since day one we started dating.
Okay, well...

If you're going to stay with him, then at least know that you're going to have to deal with him at his developmental level. Right now, because I think most of us here see just how different you two are developmentally, you're just going to have to work with him. Hopefully at some point he'll catch up (I was told they do). But if he eventually becomes growth-oriented, it could happen. But you can't place all that expectation on an unemployed 20y/o male who's still heeding the childish advice of his inexperienced friends.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:33 PM

837 posts, read 960,380 times
Quote:
Like I said in my thread. I want him to start it first, I'm a woman and I want to feel like he is a provider. No matter how much everyone say it's wrong to expect that. It is nature that a woman wants to be protected, provided. You can't say that I'm wrong for feeling this way. It has nothing to do with how much I earn. How successful I am in my career. It has nothing to do with how much money he spend on me too. .
A provider with what? Are you comfortable being provided for by his mom or dad's money that they worked 9-5 hard to earn? I'm on the side that doesn't think it's wrong for a woman to desire being pampered here and there. You are mistaken if you think I'm telling you you're wrong for wanting to be taken care of when you get home from a long day at work. You're being very reasonable and trying to give him a chance to pay within his means by ordering affordable items off the menu.

However, isn't the attraction to being provided for found within a man's ability to work hard, earn money, and then use some of that money to help you feel secure? You're kidding yourself if you think your boyfriend will be able to make this happen anytime soon. Maybe in another 3-4 years if he suddenly becomes ambitious. But right now, you're just asking him to provide you with things bought by his parent's money. That was handed to him without doing any hard work, it sounds like. Is that idea desirable to you?

Quote:
It's that if he's doing his best to make me happy. see my needs and such.
Is he doing his best or showing you he wants to try to do his best? Doesn't sound like it if he's not sending out resumes and looking for employment.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
The fact is that in the US today, it's more difficult to get jobs. There's a trend more toward high-earning women to be with low-earning men, because that's how the economic dice are shaking out. So more women are taking a provider role. The old expectations are going out the window. Unless your bf is studying engineering, he's probably not going to be in a position to provide much of anything for you for years.

Reality check.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Right

She should leave him, then make out an entitlement requirement list and hope that a man will appear.

It seems that the double standards are still alive and sickening.
Did you ever think that double standards left?! They will always exist.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
What is best though, is women with this kind of attitude get dumped instantly by any guys with a set of self esteem. Which is probably why she's dating a 20 year old.

The best thing for this kid, is he is learning at a young age who to run from.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM

41 posts, read 74,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Okay, well...

If you're going to stay with him, then at least know that you're going to have to deal with him at his developmental level. Right now, because I think most of us here see just how different you two are developmentally, you're just going to have to work with him. Hopefully at some point he'll catch up (I was told they do). But if he eventually becomes growth-oriented, it could happen. But you can't place all that expectation on an unemployed 20y/o male who's still heeding the childish advice of his inexperienced friends.

How should I do that? Please tell me. He's a good guy beside him not spending money on me. He keeps his promises. When I tell him I don't like something, he will try and change it. I heard communication is the key. I used to be passive aggressive in my previous relationships. I heard communication is the key and I want this relationship to work out, so I confronted him once about how I feel like I'm not worth it when he goes out and spend hundreds of dollars on clothing and hesitate to pay for dinner. I do admit, we do eat out a lot since I don't know how to cook. Should I try cooking at home?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Yes. that's my standard and I'm not lowering it for anyone. You can judge me for that. I stand up for what I believe in.

If a man wants to fulfill your requirements, that's their business.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
A provider with what? Are you comfortable being provided for by his mom or dad's money that they worked 9-5 hard to earn? I'm on the side that doesn't think it's wrong for a woman to desire being pampered here and there. You are mistaken if you think I'm telling you you're wrong for wanting to be taken care of when you get home from a long day at work. You're being very reasonable and trying to give him a chance to pay within his means by ordering affordable items off the menu.

However, isn't the attraction to being provided for found within a man's ability to work hard, earn money, and then use some of that money to help you feel secure? You're kidding yourself if you think your boyfriend will be able to make this happen anytime soon. Maybe in another 3-4 years if he suddenly becomes ambitious. But right now, you're just asking him to provide you with things bought by his parent's money. That was handed to him without doing any hard work, it sounds like. Is that idea desirable to you?

Is he doing his best or showing you he wants to try to do his best? Doesn't sound like it if he's not sending out resumes and looking for employment.

I'm not expecting him to buy me a car, a house. Provider as in, him paying for dinner when we go out and such. Something not more than $20, $30. No I don't want him to buy me anything with his parents money. When I mentioned about a job, he said he wants to graduate from high school which will be in 3 months. Then he said he will work. Am I not being patient here? I don't know. I told him to go to school every day because the reason he hasn't graduate from high school is his attendance. He's been trying to do that these days though.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
If a man wants to fulfill your requirements, that's their business.

Yes I believe in that. That's why I'm re-evaluating the relationship and think if I should stay.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Quote:
I'm not expecting him to buy me a car, a house. Provider as in, him paying for dinner when we go out and such. Something not more than $20, $30. No I don't want him to buy me anything with his parents money. When I mentioned about a job, he said he wants to graduate from high school which will be in 3 months. Then he said he will work. Am I not being patient here? I don't know. I told him to go to school every day because the reason he hasn't graduate from high school is his attendance. He's been trying to do that these days though.
DAMN you're robbing the cradle.

Still in HS and expecting him to be a damn provider, WTF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships