Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:18 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times

Advertisements

What being single has to do with love???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 12:52 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpopper View Post
I'm no where near 50. But I will most likely have to settle for a friends w/ benefits arrangements. No man wants to be seen out in public with me or take me anywhere.
Those of us - and I include myself - that are NOT satisfied enough with our physical appearance can let that affect our self esteem and sense of self worth. Please remember that when you look at yourself in the mirror you are subjective and prejudiced and are not seeing what others see. I could never understand why even strangers in a bar would be drooling over me or running their hands on me, when I never considered myself especially attractive. Even if I can't convince you that you are really beautiful, maybe you could understand that there are people who consider you their "type."

Old 05-03-2013, 02:08 AM

246 posts, read 387,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I went to my weekly rap group for men over 50 at a community center, and this topic came up. I thought it was interesting.

The question is: "Single people: have any of you given up on finding love or a committed relationship? Whether yes or no, please explain why."

I would love it if you would share your thoughts on this topic.
I tend to agree but haven't quite given up yet at 57. I joined this forum to get a little insight on dating women in their 50s. I was very much in love with a woman in her late 50s and thought she felt the same way (at least she said so on a daily basis). We dated for 2 1/2 years until one day she found an excuse to just end it. That was 4 months ago and she hasn't changed her mind despite my attempts to reconcile. I believe she just decided she had a rich enough life (grown kids, sister, brother, mother and friends) and so didn't need the burden of a relationship (easy breezy was her motto and a relationship is not always that).

I recently started dating another almost-50 woman and while I think there is potential I'm sensing that she only wants a temporary LTR ... she has a similar rich life. We'll see. I hate to draw general conclusions but I do think that women (and men) get set in their ways making it difficult to enter into a loving relationship and all the compromises that entails. Seems this applies to well adjusted women who are the ones after all that are the most attractive.

If this one ends I'm probably done for awhile or maybe forever.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:35 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,267,982 times
I think I'll always be on my own I've pretty much known this since I had my son but maybe that's how it was suppose to be

Old 05-03-2013, 03:59 AM

788 posts, read 1,271,202 times
I'm 33, have been single for nearly 6 years, and find that pretty much everyone my age is married where I live now. However, I'm very interested in an older coworker, who also seems interested in me. Other than him, I have no hope at this point. I've given up on dating sites and being set up with people. Every guy I find attractive is taken. Such is life, I guess.

I'm very attractive, but I just can't find anyone. All my younger, similarly attractive or less attractive friends are taken. Sometimes I just think there's something wrong with me. Other times I think the timing must not be right. And then I just worry that there is no hope for me.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 AM

677 posts, read 1,193,332 times
You can't give up on something that doesn't exist.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:48 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,250 times
Pretty much.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:53 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,448,533 times
Been single since birth until my 40s. I was a master of forever alone life. Guess my life really began at 40. I have given up on love many times in the span of 40 yrs even though I only started actively seeking 'love' at age 38. And the only source I can use to find love is online dating since I am terribly shy.

I am happily married now. Took me 2 years to find him online so I guess there's hope. It really boils down to the person IMO. If you decide to give up on love then yes you won't find it.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:58 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,651,532 times
Yes, for the most part. I think I'll always have some little bit of hope, but spending the rest of my life alone seems more and more likely each day. There just aren't that many opportunities to meet single ladies my age.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:05 AM

11,394 posts, read 24,436,628 times
I hadn't exactly given up, but my expectations were pretty much in line with reality. The odds were against my finding a good partner and/or getting married. It was alright. Life was still pretty good.

Then strangely, I met someone and we eventually got married. Now life has a whole new set of equations to master.

Life doesn't end/begin at marriage. It just changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships