Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 12:11 PM

297 posts, read 502,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
She may just not get along with overweight, balding men who don't care about their health and exercise.
Because all men over 45 are overweight and balding? Sorry, try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 PM

607 posts, read 855,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2012 View Post
Because all men over 45 are overweight and balding? Sorry, try again.
so all women who want a younger man are unstable? Sorry, try again.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
false premise

perhaps some men like older women, but you can't make that statement about men in general.
Yeah, it's a pretty broad baseless statement to say "younger men like older women." Certainly some do, and perhaps a higher % do now than did in the past, but it's still a relatively low % compared to men who prefer same age and younger women.

I have to say, though, that I've noticed the thing the OP is talking about as far as women in their 30's and 40's these days often being in better shape and more attractive than women in their 20's. This might be because my pool for observing this is online dating, and most in-shape and attractive women in their 20's are probably too busy getting their pick of guys anywhere they go to bother with online dating. In general, though, single women in their 30's and 40's (at least educated professionals in urban areas) are taking care of themselves way better than past generations did, IMO. Thank God for this, because I'm almost 40 and can't imagine if I had to date women who looked like my mom's friends did when I was a kid.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
I have to say, though, that I've noticed the thing the OP is talking about as far as women in their 30's and 40's these days often being in better shape and more attractive than women in their 20's. This might be because my pool for observing this is online dating

most in-shape and attractive women in their 20's are probably too busy getting their pick of guys anywhere they go to bother with online dating.
oh definitely. online dating is not a representative sample of the population.

Quote:
I have to say, though, that I've noticed the thing the OP is talking about as far as women in their 30's and 40's these days often being in better shape and more attractive than women in their 20's.

In general, though, single women in their 30's and 40's (at least educated professionals in urban areas) are taking care of themselves way better than past generations did, IMO. Thank God for this, because I'm almost 40 and can't imagine if I had to date women who looked like my mom's friends did when I was a kid.
i think you're right, but i'm not sure.

i'm thinking the modern world has become more polarized in this way, where you have more people who are disciplined and in-shape, but you also have more people who are obese, sedentary, and/or despondent.

i agree that i see plenty of women in their 40's who are hotter than 20-somethings, there's no question about that.

Last edited by le roi; 05-08-2013 at 01:15 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
oh definitely. online dating is not a representative sample of the population.
For single people in their 30's and 40's in an urban area, I'd say it's a pretty representative sample. Nearly everyone I know in that demographic has done online dating at least once in recent years. In the 18-27-ish age range I think it's distorting my perception, though.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:12 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
For single people in their 30's and 40's in an urban area, I'd say it's a pretty representative sample. Nearly everyone I know in that demographic has done online dating at least once in recent years. In the 18-27-ish age range I think it's distorting my perception, though.
I'm in a small southern city and it's still taboo for women to use it. I think you're right about tech/cultural meccas like Portland or Austin or Brooklyn, IIRC they have just as many women using it as men.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:14 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
It's amazing that the OP has met the majority of women in the world.
A lot of guys on this site apparently have. It has nothing to do with the fact that they simply don't want to think of people as individuals. Far more efficient to create labels and categories.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I'm in a small southern city and it's still taboo for women to use it.
Bummer. I thought we had moved beyond that as a society 10 years ago or so, at least for people under the age of 50 or so.

Quote:
I think you're right about tech/cultural meccas like Portland or Austin or Brooklyn, IIRC they have just as many women using it as men.
I don't even think it has to be a tech/cultural mecca. I think it just has to be any city large enough to have a substantial population of single people over age 30. (One of the problems with this in the rural south is that people tend to get married very young.)

Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
I'm 23, and while I've never been with a cougar type sexually, here's what I like about over 35 women in general:

I can actually have a legitimately interesting conversation with them. Many times I've heard women talk about the appeal of "smart, funny" men; the problem is, at my age many girls aren't nearly as smart as they think they are, and their sense of humor reflects it. A lot of them have been propped up by the sort of upper middle class, helicopter-parent type environments they grew up in, and take their admission to a more selective university as a sign of their intelligence and sophistication. Meet them, however, and you'll be met with a constant barrage of self-important babbling and goofy in-jokes amongst their friends. Casually reference Sartre in a conversation, or try some deadpan sardonic humor, and they'll be like "lolwut?"

Older women get it. I'm not saying they're all brilliant or highly intelligent, but at the very least they've been exposed to so much more in life that they can appreciate discussion about ideas that exist outside of their own narcissistic bubble. And in general, they tend to be more down to earth.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM

297 posts, read 502,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
so all women who want a younger man are unstable? Sorry, try again.
You obviously didn't read my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships