Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I was much like the OP. I also don't care for competition with women. So, when I was dating, I just didn't. I didn't go after women who had other guys hanging around, or that had boyfriends or a group of guys who were "friends". I actually tended to look for diamonds in the rough. The shyer type girls, who were more serious, better students etc. There are tons of attractive women who are not being chased by a pack of men, but are nice wonderful people. Change your priorities. Don't follow the pack, date the girls that others don't care for and I bet you'll meet some nice people.

School is a great environment for relationships, I was totally blessed until I graduated and that cocoon disappeared. I went from being a happy fish swimming with other happy fish to being in a dead zone with little oxygen and few fish and no dates.

So for those in school these are probably the best dating years of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I don't even remotely comprehend that type of logic in my life personally, but I am aware some people are quitters when any type of adversity or road block presents itself.

Some people are resilient and up for the challenge, some like things handed to them in nicely wrapped packages.

It is precisely the same type of logic used by 'discouraged workers' who can't find a job and who eventually stop trying. It's not a quick decision and usually takes considerable time for a person to reach that point.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The problem isn't that the single male/single female ratio is 100/1. The problem is that most of those 100 men are all vying for the attention of the "hottest" 1% of women. There are plenty of warm, sweet, funny, charming women out there. It is just that men ignore most of them because they don't feel they are "hot" enough.

I don't believe that. I believe that at any point in time, most women are unavailable for one reason or another. The ones who are available include those who are and those who are not "hot".

Nearly all women but the least (10% - 20%) desirable can get a good catch (if not quite a dreamboat) if they just wait a little longer. So it generally makes sense for most women to be picky and wait a little longer. I think the top 80% of available women are rejecting the bottom 80% of men.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
If that makes you happy, do it. Otherwise, find another alternative.

There's always bottom-fishing aka any port in a storm, but the results often lead to self-loathing.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
whats the point of life if you're just going to die anyways?

the point of life is to accomplish something before you die.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
A prime example of scarcity mentality. There are plenty of women out there who do not have suitors banging at the door day and night.

Where are they? I have no money and no life, so I never meet them and wouldn't know where to find them.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
I thrive on competition.

That's nice, but the competition as long as I've been around seems to be full of PUA types and I'm both unable and unwilling to compete on that field.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Actually the ratio of men to women in the world is 1.01 to 1. So your chances of a date, statistically, are not 1 in 100, but 99 in 100.

Those would be good odds to bet on!

It varies by age, the odds are much better for men over, say, 70.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
By being better than those men.

[competition breeds excellence]

that's a competition shy guys practically never win.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
In younger age groups there are more men than women. The bigger issue that skews the sex ratio is the high number of men who cheat. For every husband who has a mistress on the side and for every man with a harem of lovers there will be other men with nothing.

In order for there to be one man for every one woman monogamy needs to be strictly enforced.

The other day one of the threads in this forum sent me to Google to look something up, which led to some idle surfing (sorta like word association where one idea let to a related idea) and I read some posts in a different forum saying that outside North America it's easier for men to get dates, that the rest of the world does not have boatloads of dateless men (or the PUA culture) like we do here. Several people agreed with this, but it's new to me so I have no idea really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships