Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:55 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times

Advertisements

1) Does a divorce cost the person who files more money than the other party? (because, for example, they're the one whose lawyer has to start the process, draw up initial documents, and who is on the clock before the papers have even been filed.....and the other party just needs to get a lawyer to respond which could cost less.

2) Is the person who files at any kind of disadvantage at all with negotiating alimony and child support because they're the one who initiating the process to "break the marriage bond."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
it costs balls.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:59 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
2)

Old 05-15-2013, 01:31 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,230,626 times
The man is at a disadvantage regardless of who files, that is why 70% of divorces are filed by women. If they are unhappy they just file because there are no other consequences to doing so. If a man is unhappy he is more likely to just stay unhappy because he will end up paying in the end.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 AM

332 posts, read 436,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
The man is at a disadvantage regardless of who files, that is why 70% of divorces are filed by women. If they are unhappy they just file because there are no other consequences to doing so. If a man is unhappy he is more likely to just stay unhappy because he will end up paying in the end.
Yep.

The cost of divorce:

House (you get to still pay the mortgage while she lives in it though)
Cars
Divorce Lawyers
Child Support
Half of your savings and future paychecks

Homelessness if you can't afford an apartment after everything is taken out of your paycheck.
Jail if you can't afford the child support payments.

So men have all of this to look forward to.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
Divorce can be pretty cheap if you both completely agree on all aspects of the divorce, how the possesstions and assets are split up, who get custodial custody of the children etc. If you do not agree then it gets more complicated. In my divorce my ex had an attorney and I could not afford one. I qualified for fee waivers in filing my documents, in other words I didn't have to pay any filing fees. Our divorce last a loooong time, close to a year. I am sure my ex paid at least $5,000 for his legal costs, where I paid almost nothing. It was extremely stressful and I would never want to go through that again. No sooner was I done with the divorce and my husband began a child custoday battle, so on it went. It doesn't really matter who filed first, other than the person that files first gets to present their case in court first. It is the judge that decides any child support or alimony and the laws with that differ from state to state.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:07 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
It varies considerably from state to state. Check your state's legal code... it's probably online somewhere. In my state, the cost for filing is $300 per party, and there is no priority or prejudice against the person filing or the person against whom the filing occurs.

All cynicism aside, the real cost isn't in the fees (to the lawyers or to the jurisdiction), but in breakup of assets. Obviously, "amicable" is the preferred route, but even then the loss of assets can be prodigious.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
if you have a "no contest" divorce , you agree on the asset split, you may not need a lawyer-you can go to a district courthouse and pick up the paperwork, a divorce packet..
i think my divorce cost 700 15 yrs ago- i hired a lawyer, just so the decree was filed and things were legal- but we had agreed on the assets

remember, lawyers get paid on billable hours- you may want it done and over with, but with lawyers- the more its dragged out-the more they get paid

if each has a lawyer, then you are set up for a war....and its very costly

you can go to a mediator for asset allocations- much cheaper than a lawyer
different states have different laws..

also keep in mind, if you have your name on a mortgage and the other keeps the house- you are still responsible for that mortgage- this all has to be hashed out

alot of resources online- look it up- try to find someone local that has recently done this on their own, and ask questions.

I told my lawyer-this is exactly what i want you to do-and she did it, with minimal hrs
but i was very fair with my x-most spouses are highly emotional, so they dig there own hole,,,because they cant agree on the asset split

but also, ive seen people get screwed because "they just want it over with" -
if a woman with kids-dont move out of the house-unless you are being abused- if the guy was cheating, on his family- then he should move out- if he makes a good wage and she doesnt , because she's been the mother-primary caretaker- then ...dont run away from alimony

you can talk to a lawyer for one hour- then go from there-see where you stand

Old 05-15-2013, 04:06 AM

11,372 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle43 View Post
Yep.
The cost of divorce:

House (you get to still pay the mortgage while she lives in it though)
Cars
Divorce Lawyers
Child Support
Half of your savings and future paychecks

Homelessness if you can't afford an apartment after everything is taken out of your paycheck.
Jail if you can't afford the child support payments.

So men have all of this to look forward to.
Rent, don't have children, and have your own car.
My divorce was quick, easy, and cheap. The divorce itself was around $100.00, no lawyers involved. However, I picked up an extra 2K in debt but that's another story.

Even better yet - don't get married unless you are a young couple that wants a family and close to 100% sure you all are going to make it.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:21 AM

11,372 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Divorce can be pretty cheap if you both completely agree on all aspects of the divorce, how the possesstions and assets are split up, who get custodial custody of the children etc. If you do not agree then it gets more complicated. In my divorce my ex had an attorney and I could not afford one. I qualified for fee waivers in filing my documents, in other words I didn't have to pay any filing fees. Our divorce last a loooong time, close to a year. I am sure my ex paid at least $5,000 for his legal costs, where I paid almost nothing. It was extremely stressful and I would never want to go through that again. No sooner was I done with the divorce and my husband began a child custoday battle, so on it went. It doesn't really matter who filed first, other than the person that files first gets to present their case in court first. It is the judge that decides any child support or alimony and the laws with that differ from state to state.
Indeed. I dodged a bullet on that. Living in Maryland had a lot to do with it.

My brother who lived in Virginia did not do well in that at all. Even though they did not have young children his lazy ex screwed him big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships