Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 07:57 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,425,022 times

Advertisements

Meeting many people at online dating site, how do you know when to stop?

When you go to their house for the first time. Open the freezer to get out some Ice cream and you see human remains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 09:04 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Wow. I live in not-giant town. There are maybe 2 or 3 guys on OKC that I would consider, in a given 6 month period. I was going to say, 'When you want a second date.'

I have nothing useful to offer for your 'embarrassment of riches' problem :/.
Well, the area where I live has a population of 9,331,587 according to the 2012 Census Estimate.

Secondly, I think the dating website that I use does a good job of matching people who are compatible.

Thirdly, I raised the age that I would consider dating to slightly out of my comfort zone.

So, when you add all three together, I think it possibly yields more matches than in other circumstances. I don't think I'm doing anything special to garner such attention, but I realize it's a good problem to have.

Also, I want to say that not every week is fruitful. Some are better than others and up until a few weeks ago, I hadn't found anyone I wanted to date. If I date through the current batch, it may be a while until I discover anyone new.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 PM

297 posts, read 502,527 times
You don't seem too excited about any of the guys you have met so far since they are "acceptable". I would find someone you are really excited to see again.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2012 View Post
You don't seem too excited about any of the guys you have met so far since they are "acceptable". I would find someone you are really excited to see again.
well, part of it is that I get the attention of more attractive guys in bars and out in public, so I'm used to better-looking suitors. I know that probably sounds horrible to say, but it's the truth, I'm not really that attracted physically to the guys I'm finding online.

But I've found that the men who want to start talking to me the most are about 5+ years older than me, so I'm guessing men who are my age are looking for women 5+ years younger than me, and while I think I look decent for my age, I can't compete with 20 somethings.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:29 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
If I date through the current batch, it may be a while until I discover anyone new.
Until you actually DATE them, you won't have the information that you need to allow you to develop a preference. More dating. Less talk here.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:36 PM

297 posts, read 502,527 times
Quote:
well, part of it is that I get the attention of more attractive guys in bars and out in public, so I'm used to better-looking suitors. I know that probably sounds horrible to say, but it's the truth, I'm not really that attracted physically to the guys I'm finding online.

But I've found that the men who want to start talking to me the most are about 5+ years older than me, so I'm guessing men who are my age are looking for women 5+ years younger than me, and while I think I look decent for my age, I can't compete with 20 somethings.
hmmm, so why don't you date the more attractive guys that you meet in public?

Old 05-12-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2012 View Post
hmmm, so why don't you date the more attractive guys that you meet in public?
I stopped drinking so I stopped going to bars. Also, you know how it can be in the bar scene, things seem to be going well, but sometimes nothing pans out. Either you don't meet anyone or you do, but then either one or both of you lose interest and nothing comes of it. And I hope I don't sound ageist when I say this, but I think I'm a little old to be meeting people in bars.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:57 PM

31,027 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
I stopped drinking so I stopped going to bars. Also, you know how it can be in the bar scene, things seem to be going well, but sometimes nothing pans out. Either you don't meet anyone or you do, but then either one or both of you lose interest and nothing comes of it. And I hope I don't sound ageist when I say this, but I think I'm a little old to be meeting people in bars.
A lot of people I go out with drink a diet coke, water or Ice tea while Im having a beer or mixed drink. What is too old to meet someone in a bar? Maybe a dance club that caters to 20 somethings.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:04 PM

I'm just really not interested in going to bars anymore. It's also hard to find girlfriends to go out with. Most of my friends are married with babies now.

Last edited by Violett; 05-12-2013 at 10:32 PM..

Old 05-12-2013, 10:05 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,089 times
I can't tell, in just one date, whether I am attracted to someone. I have to know them better.

All I can tell on a first date is if it is not a definite, 'no way' (which, online, most of them are).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships