Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:28 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times

Advertisements

Yes, a person can if they are paying attention!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,104,386 times
I could sense something was going on. I kept asking and he kept making things up. I wanted to believe him (but don't think I ever believed the excuses), because I loved him with my whole being.

I'm afraid that after a few months, I still love him for the first 8 years. I keep thinking that I'll wake up. And I do, every morning.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:37 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
I've never had someone break up with me out of the blue. That would be awful.

I'm big on talking about feelings. If something is bothering me in the relationship, I talk about it. If my sweetie doesn't want to talk, I try again another time. Depending on the issue, I may try for years before giving up and breaking up with them.

And if I sense something is bothering my sweetie, I ask. I draw it out of them. I have a few decades of experience as a counselor, so I am good at encouraging people to say what is really going on with them. (IRL, anyway. Maybe not here.)

So my relationships typically involve a year or two of trying to work stuff out, after problems arise and before we both decide they are not fixable. Then we stay friends. Not always, though -- acting other than in good faith has resulted in instant dumping.

Last edited by NilaJones; 05-13-2013 at 11:06 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 01:26 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,379 times
When I was dating. I always, always knew when it's coming to an end. I also knew when they were cheating too. LOL. Every girl I ever accused of cheating. I was right. LOL.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:35 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I was just watching this movie and this guy told his buddy that he thought he was losing his woman (things were not so rosey in their relationship) but they were not broken up yet, and then a little while after that she did leave him. So I'm wondering if people always see it coming beforehand or if it's more often a surprise.
I think it differs from person to person. I'm a woman. when I withhold physical affection or just can't seem to get past that hump within whatever fight my SO and I are having, it means I'm really really mad/hurt.

It's not a revenge thing. I just can't.

If I get that feeling weeks in a row, I guess that's trouble-ville for sure. Best to nip it in the beginning, talk it out and solve problems at the early signs

It's probably along the lines of why most legal separation periods eventually lead in divorce.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:38 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
When I was dating. I always, always knew when it's coming to an end. I also knew when they were cheating too. LOL. Every girl I ever accused of cheating. I was right. LOL.
DATE DIFFERENT GIRLS!

lol.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:48 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,883 times
Yes and true to idiot form, I ignored the signs. When he broke up with me, I should not have been surprised, but I was.

Lesson learned, heart glued back together.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Yes, I have always been able to tell. I'm always surprised when people say they honestly didn't see it coming especially if it's a long term relationship and/or a marriage. I find it hard to believe there weren't signs. I think maybe they just didn't want to see the signs or believe anything might be wrong. It's definitely a crap feeling when you feel someone you really care about losing interest and pulling away from you. In the past when I sensed someone pulling away, it made me try even harder to win them back. In the future, when I feel someone pulling away I'll just let them go. Not worth it.
Eh, as I mentioned, I was in one long-term relationship where this was the case. The reason I didn't see the signs is because they were the same signs as ongoing mental health issues of his that had been something we'd been experiencing in the relationship for years, that he'd sought therapy for from time to time, etc.

So, withdrawal because of psych disorder, or withdrawal because he no longer wanted to be in the relationship? It was impossible to tell the difference, the symptoms were exactly the same. All throughout our relationship, knowing about his psych issue, I would check and be on top of it, to make sure...because I knew that the symptoms were the same. The difference in the end is that previously, when I point blank asked if it was me, the relationship, etc. that was causing the distress, just tell me, and I'd go, he'd answer one way. In the end, he answered opposite.

Now, of course, through that relationship, I have learned that I am not willing to be in a relationship with somebody with an emotional and/or psych disorder that they choose not to consistently, proactively treat. I wasn't an idiot, but I did make the choice to be with somebody who had a psych problem, which made his behavior difficult to assess and categorize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships