Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

When I was dating, I intentionally parked somewhere that the guy wouldn't see my car. On lists of "internet dating safety" I'd read that women should avoid letting men see their license plate number. I never shared my last name, address, or anything that would allow a man to track me if I decided I didn't want to see him again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 11:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Sell the Mercedes and invest in an old beat up VW (Volkswagen) Bug/Beetle. Problem solved!
Damn, last night I seen this badass VW beetle. I wanted to make love to her.

And the girl driving her.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:04 AM

290 posts, read 567,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'd say it's a good idea to date men who are of a similar financial class/income level as yourself or higher. If a man does not drive a luxury car, then more often than not it means he cannot reasonably afford a luxury car.

I don't think it's a good idea for a woman to date down in class. Even though I've seen it work for some people, a lot of men won't like it and will feel uncomfortable with it. That's my opinion.
The ones I've dated we're college educated and have awesome careers. They don't drive luxury cars but maybe it's just they're preference. I used to drive Honda, which was my car for 10 years and I never had problems dating the type of guys I'm attracted to.

Maybe, these guys were looking for someone who knows how to handle money wisely and they think spending that much money on a car is not smart or they think I'm high maintenance and don't want to deal with that.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
edit: cross posted

Maybe the guys think you'll be high maintenance? Women with expensive cars and purses are usually not satisfied with less.

Doesn't matter if you're bragging or completely out of touch with the mainstream. How you present yourself is how people will perceive you.

If I were you, I'd keep the car and only date men who also have nice cars. Be sure that they can afford to keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed, or you'll have to keep buying your own accessories.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 AM

896 posts, read 1,476,436 times
Wow. If you think guys care what car you drive, this must be your first day on planet earth.

Guys care if you are hot.

You can drive a mercedes, a mustang, a mini cooper, or ride in on a donkey. They don't give a rats axx. Look hot. The end.

If dating isn't going well, then use that nice mirror your mercedes has, and take a good look at you.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Wow. If you think guys care what car you drive, this must be your first day on planet earth.

Guys care if you are hot.

You can drive a mercedes, a mustang, a mini cooper, or ride in on a donkey. They don't give a rats axx. Look hot. The end.

If it aint working for you, then use that nice mirror your mercedes has, and take a good look at you.
I don't need to work on that, I know I am. I work out 5x a week. I take care of myself and how I look.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:36 AM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
I don't know too many men that would know the difference between an expensive purse and one purchased at Target.

As for as cars go, to me it would depend on the Mercedes. Could be an 10 year old Mercedes worth less than 7k or a new V12 AMG at 200k. In general I think most people look at any newer Mercedes as a Status vehicle and make a judgement call based on that. Like someone else said maybe the car says 'High maintenance' to the men?

Anyway, Most women I know typically drive common sense vehicles; Camrys, Accords, Malibus, or any newer bread and butter car or SUV.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
edit: cross posted

Maybe the guys think you'll be high maintenance? Women with expensive cars and purses are usually not satisfied with less.

Doesn't matter if you're bragging or completely out of touch with the mainstream. How you present yourself is how people will perceive you.

If I were you, I'd keep the car and only date men who also have nice cars. Be sure that they can afford to keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed, or you'll have to keep buying your own accessories.
I don't mind getting rid of the expensive stuff to find a guy with a good heart. It seems like I find them but they're looking for a girl whose not into expensive things. Its like wanting expensive stuff is a deal breaker for them.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:54 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I don't think your car is consistently scaring guys off. I'm not a fan of luxury vehicles myself, but I don't rule someone out solely because of the car they drive. And I can't imagine a man would compliment your vehicle while secretly marking it down as a demerit on the scorecard in his head.

You seem awfully worried about what would be turnoff to a guy between this post and your post about financially supporting your loved ones. Maybe you should just stop worrying about that stuff and focus on making your life as happy as possible. I just get this vibe in your posts that you are not pleased with your life right now, and that's probably a bigger factor than anything else.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, that's pretty much the case. Not only that, but men are supposed to be the ones impressing a woman with nice, expensive cars and things like that. Not the other way around.

So what fun is it if you already have that? And who paid for it anyway?
So am I supposed to drive a crappy car until I get married, so a man can feel like he's impressing me with his nice car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships