Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:29 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
Number 1.. you're older and probably dating older women, who have learned to be a bit more cautious.

number 2... it's not all that common anymore to WANT to know someone after a date or two. makes sense right?

I always ask a persons last name before I meet them.. background check - informal to make sure they aren't on the "sex offenders registry" and to let someone know where I am and with who.

I don't see what the big deal is.. if you are questioning why someone you are seeing wants to know your last name, I would almost question your motives.

Not during the 1st conversation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 09:29 PM

98 posts, read 89,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
Number 1.. you're older and probably dating older women, who have learned to be a bit more cautious.

number 2... it's not all that common anymore to WANT to know someone after a date or two. makes sense right?

I always ask a persons last name before I meet them.. background check - informal to make sure they aren't on the "sex offenders registry" and to let someone know where I am and with who.

I don't see what the big deal is.. if you are questioning why someone you are seeing wants to know your last name, I would almost question your motives.
So you all probably figured out by now I'm NO virgin or dummy...

Cops Theme song - YouTube

Nice to meet ya......#388

Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 PM

98 posts, read 89,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Not during the 1st conversation
No way...not your email or phone number either.

"You don't trust me....you don't trust me!"

No...I don't. Trust is EARNED...not expected.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:36 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Just because the OP is a bit paranoid, doesn't mean he has no enemies.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:43 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Had a nice and entertaining conversation last night with this woman and after 2 hours she asked......."so what is your last name?

HUH????????? What magazine or Tv show is telling women to ask this question because no one asked me this at all 6 years ago.
6 years ago were you doing online dating? Sounds like an online dating thing. Maybe some women routinely run background checks on guys before meeting them in person.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:

All I want to know is.......................why the sudden request????
Who knows?

[sooo...what is your last name?]

Old 05-14-2013, 05:04 AM

286 posts, read 366,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Maybe people want to fully know who you are? You can tell a lot about a person's history and traditions by the sir name. The first and last name is your FULL name..what's so strange about that?
What the hell is a "sir name"? You mean "surname"?

Can we write in English, please? Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Maybe she's doing a back ground check on you on her phone while you to were on a date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Looking up info via facebook or other social media as it's easy to obtain at least basic info on a person through their page. interests, occupation and it they have a BF/GF/Wife?husband or not.
There's sort of a double standard. They ask you for your last name, and if you don't give it, you are "secretive". If they want to run a background check, and are not willing to share that, isn't that also secretive?

Suggested answer: "Why, you wanna make sure we're not related? haha."

I have no problem with someone asking for my last name, but it's a matter of timing. There is such a thing as being creepy by asking too early (for example, if this question is the first sentence the person says to you, obviously that's too early). The point where the question doesn't feel creepy depends on the situation.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:46 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Had a nice and entertaining conversation last night with this woman and after 2 hours she asked......."so what is your last name?

HUH????????? What magazine or Tv show is telling women to ask this question because no one asked me this at all 6 years ago. This silly mess just started in the last couple of years. And I don't want to cut her off because we did have a nice convo but that question just came out of nowhere.

All I want to know is.......................why the sudden request????
With the internet, we are able to look up an individual to see if he has any criminal record; that's the main reason I'd want to know.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
So...were you planning on getting to know someone and not reveal your last name?

Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
6 years ago were you doing online dating? Sounds like an online dating thing. Maybe some women routinely run background checks on guys before meeting them in person.

No six years ago I was doing telephone dating so I think you are right it is a online dating thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships