Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 12:16 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yes. Let me amend that.

Cheetos, or Blue Bell ice cream.
Excellent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 12:17 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Excellent!
I figured you'd like that!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:58 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Largely genetics, and epigenetic holdovers from the great depression (where enviornmental factors ffected gene expression, which was then passed on).
The way you Norwegians/Europeans are, you (aor at least the women) never really get fat. Like Asian people.

At the same time you'll never be the thick-assed and legged black and hispanic women that I and many others here like.
What a bunch on nonsense. Do you even know evolution works? People actually have to die for evolution to work. It is estimated that about 5% of the population died, that is not enough. Also, Norway has had plenty of problems with food in the past.

You want to know the real reason. Americans eat like crap. The fast food density is significantly lower in Norway than the US. When people go out eating, they go to restaurants and eat smaller portions. At home, the portion sizes are much smaller as well.

Norwegians are skinnier because they eat less, not because Americans are genetically disposed to become fat.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Cheetos, or Blue Bell ice cream.
Make that Lemon Bliss Blue Bell ice cream, and you can keep the Cheetos.

Pure heaven I tell ya.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
It has figures for just the US. And its not laughable at all that a man would have an inflated bmi due to muscle mass; many guys grew up lifting weights and playing football,and aren't "fat" at all despite being over 25 on the BMI.
I looked at your link and saw global figures. Feel free to highlight US stats. And I would think health scientists would take your assertions into account if they were relevant, but let's get real. High muscle mass men in the US are a minority not a norm. If you would like to argue otherwise, please cite the stats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
No it isn't. Black woman are the fattest group in America. What I find more interesting is to look at people over 30 years of age. Here are the results

BMI:
Men: 30
Women: 30.8

Overweight or Obese:
Men: 83.5%
Women: 80.4%

Obese
Men: 50%
Women: 54.8%

Both men and women in the US are incredibly fat. Also, women are a little bit fatter than men. You can check out the results here yourself. https://apps.who.int/infobase/Comparisons.aspx
As stated, there are more overweight men than women. Look at the figures you just posted. And for men, it's white men who account for it. So, yes, it is. As far as women go you are correct. IIRC, it's 30% of white women that are overweight. What interesting to note is that many of the complaints in these threads are coming from white men. So, you have a group where over 80% of men are overweight, but only ~30% of their female counter parts (again, IIRC) are overweight. That's pretty silly if you follow my point here. Especially since it would be more expected from women since they gain due to pregnancy and men don't.

eta: What's also important to note, as far this argument goes, is that women have plateaued and men haven't. Figures continue to rise for men, which is where the predictions from the first article I linked come in.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 05-15-2013 at 07:24 AM..

Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
I don't get why people frown upon this so much. I've had lots of girls tell me that I'm too tall and no one makes that out to be a big deal, but as soon as I say I don't like fat girls people act like I'm some bad guy. If girls can think I'm too tall then why can't I think some girls are too fat?
So you think it's okay for people to "not LIKE you", just because you're tall? Why in the world would you like or DIS-like someone, simply because they're not thin?

It's one thing to "not be attracted to" someone, due to their weight. It's a WHOLE 'nother thing to actually dislike a person, solely based on their physical appearance. That's a sure sign of "something is seriously wrong with Lucy"(aka...you)!! You got some serious mental health issues, if you're the kind of person who dislikes someone, simply because they're overweight?.....s-e-r-i-o-u-s...... mental health issues.

Actually, thank you so much for this post. It caused a flood of warmth and precious memories to overwhelm me for just a minute there. I am so grateful to have the kind of heart and mind, that allows me to look past the skin. Your post brought to my mind, MANY people I've met in my lifetime, people who will forever hold a place in my heart, because they were/are the most incredible, sweet, funny, smart, loving human beings I've ever known. Many of those people are/were "overweight"

It takes my breath away, just imagining that , if I were the kind of person who never made their acquaintance, because they were fat...... What a loss that would have been for me....a HUGE loss, indeed.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprince18 View Post
I swear women will never admit where they have the advantage over men in the sexual market place. Victim, victim, victim.
Men want it more.
So of course women have the advantage.
Why does that make it women's fault?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
OK, again people, the BMI is a freaking joke
EVERYONE is "overweight" or "obese" on it, regardless of actual health or risk factors.
While I agree that BMI is not the mist useful measurement, "everyone" being overweight or obese based on it is absurd. At 5'8" and 135lbs, I am overweight by no standard anywhere. Every single solid animal on the planet is going to be healthier without excess fat as compared to the same body with.

Quote:
No they're not and I'm sick of hearing it. The BMI and its terminologies of "overweight" and "obese" are shrill and unrealistic

Sick of hearing it or not, there is nothing unrealistic about it. If you look at people whose diet consists largely of well-planned, healthy food made with whole foods that are nutrient dense per calorie, whose recreational lifestyle involves activity and motion, you will see whole bunches of people for whom it is not unrealistic but completely normal.

You hear all the people moaning that it is so HAAAARD. Yah at first it is. Any habit change can be hard. For people who comfort eat, they have special challenges. Anyone who first transitions from unhealthy eating habits to healthy is going to feel funny at first. Your bowels are afu, probably hungry feeling a lot, probably tired. Again, it is the same with any change. When I first quit coffee, I felt like CRAP for a week. Nauseous, massive headaches, exhaustion. When I quit smoking, same thing. Three or four weeks of feeling absolutely awful. But then later, all of those feeling better benefits to emerge. The other night we had tater tot casserole for dinner. Holy COW did I feel awful afterward!

I wonder where people ever got the idea that life was not supposed to be hard. JJ has it as hard as anyone can get. Not only does she have the regular calorie in < calorie out, insulin etc., equations to deal with, she has medical and medicinal issues that make it even harder. And while I think her online excuses for all the rest of you lard buts is nice but not useful, SHE is out there doing it.

Everyone has every right to their lifestyle. If the one you want is to eat processed food and watch reality tv, go for it. But if you want to try to kid yourself that there is no health risk to your "paunch" then make sure not to do any research on diabetes risk, because your ignorant notion will be be disturbed.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:21 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
No they're not and I'm sick of hearing it. The BMI and its terminologies of "overweight" and "obese" are shrill and unrealistic
Terminology can be put aside. Lifestyle induced diabetes and heart disease, OTOH, which is prevalent and correlates to weight is a reality.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:21 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I love it when Europeans talk like they know everything about the US. They are imbeciles.
Right. Because they don't visit. Read. Watch the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships