Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:35 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socially Inept View Post
Some points to consider:

My wife's family fought her when she told them she wanted to go to college and she had to pay for it all herself because her parents would not help her with the tuition and refused to talk to her about her experiences at college or did they attend her college graduation.

My wife is more critical of her family than me, so the poster below would call her the snob.
Well, you seem to be chalking this up to a working-class thing, when really they are just dysfunctional people. You're obsessing over things like diction and engagement with the world, when really you should be concerned with the fact that they have been pretty bent on tearing your wife down. I've seen that across all classes - having gone to private school as a child, I can assure you that destructive and dysfunctional people are not limited to the working classes. And you left that tidbit about them tearing your wife down out of your original post, there, buddy, so don't get on your high horse. Your initial complaint was solely about their ignorance - and I'm wondering why you aren't frothing mad that they don't treat your wife well and why that isn't your primary complaint.

You're still a snob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 12:39 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,527 times
Quote:
it is about how terrible management or white collar people are who don't deserve to be making good money
Well, in all fairness a lot of them are. You;d be surprised how many "business people" there are who don't actually know squat about the technical side of their business, and assume they're good managers just because they're *******s but really aren't and just have never been in a non-managerial position, since they had money to start with their whole llives, and half of them are as corrupt as anything.
On top of the fact that our severely regulated, crony-capitalist economy is what creates the huge income imbalance towards do-nothings. Our unpredictable kangaroo courts push bureaucrat lawyers and insurance paper-pushers, our protectionist medical licensing system ensures only rich people can even become doctors, and makes sure they have no competition, our ridiculous tax and employment laws make understanding accounting more important for business than knowledge about what the actual product of the business is.

Think Khan Supanoosiphon from King Of The Hill, only more of them are actually useless "business men" as opposed to actual engineers

Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Weekend traveler reincarnated? I think so.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

You're still a snob.
Agreed, while their diction speaks volumes about them, your tone/word choice speaks volumes (not good) about you.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 PM

32 posts, read 59,625 times
I wonder if all the people who think I am the bad one in this situation would feel the same if they actually met the in laws.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Well, you seem to be chalking this up to a working-class thing, when really they are just dysfunctional people. You're obsessing over things like diction and engagement with the world, when really you should be concerned with the fact that they have been pretty bent on tearing your wife down. I've seen that across all classes - having gone to private school as a child, I can assure you that destructive and dysfunctional people are not limited to the working classes. And you left that tidbit about them tearing your wife down out of your original post, there, buddy, so don't get on your high horse. Your initial complaint was solely about their ignorance - and I'm wondering why you aren't frothing mad that they don't treat your wife well and why that isn't your primary complaint.

You're still a snob.
Seriously...socioeconomics notwithstanding, my ex's family is beyond dysfunctional. Lots of problems are money-blind.

Also, if you and your wife are on the same page, how is it causing a clash in your marriage? You seem to be changing the slant of your story a bit.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Seriously...socioeconomics notwithstanding, my ex's family is beyond dysfunctional. Lots of problems are money-blind.

Also, if you and your wife are on the same page, how is it causing a clash in your marriage? You seem to be changing the slant of your story a bit.
Exactly!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:03 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

ZOMG, I went to school with a girl whose family is loaded (doctors and lawyers on both sides of the family). She still lives with her alcoholic mother who runs her down every chance she gets and has my poor friend convinced that she (the mother) is a psychic. You can't make this **** up.

Oh, and then there's the friend whose father (a medical professional) would not hire a home health aide for her very ill mother and instead allowed the poor woman to fall out of her wheelchair whenever he was out of the house. My friend was the one who was left to take care of her mother, because her father simply was in denial that care was needed.

Dysfunction knows no socioeconomic boundaries. The OP is complaining about cosmetic issues while just mentioning the real problems as if they were minor items. If he wasn't a snob, he'd be posting on here about the difficulty of dealing with rude and verbally abusive in-laws who treat him and his wife poorly and not how he can't get over his wife's working class family.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:05 PM

32 posts, read 59,625 times
In my OPINION if you take a random group of white collar professionals, who make good money and had a college education, and compare them with working class poor people who have very little education, you will find vast differences between their social and intellectual skills. Yes, there are some people who make good money, work in high status jobs and are highly educated who are terrible mothers and fathers and lack any social skills. But in general, IN MY OPINION, the higher the person's income and education and employment status the more likely they will be good conversationalists, great people to be around and are more committed parents and brothers and sisters. Part of success is learning to be social and your behavior and personality has a higher impact on success, so these skills are more enhanced in many middle class or higher people.

On the other hand, I find a large number of poor, working class people have weak social and emotional intelligence and lack middle class sensitivities towards each other.

But what I was getting at is there is a culture class between the working poor and someone who came from my background. And the mentality of my wife's family still hurts her today.

Last edited by Socially Inept; 05-14-2013 at 02:17 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 02:08 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
My wife's family fought her when she told them she wanted to go to college and she had to pay for it all herself because her parents would not help her with the tuition and refused to talk to her about her experiences at college or did they attend her college graduation.
And?

My family is also blue collar. I’m one of the few to earn a degree and professional position. My folks did not pay for my education, did not support my endeavors or attend my graduation.
My family is good, honest, decent, hardworking people and I have the upmost respect for them. Paying for college or being involved in your college experience is not a parent’s obligation. Not doing so does not make a family dysfunctional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships