Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM

296 posts, read 571,508 times

Advertisements

Not willing to settle? Not willing to compromise? It seems that even transplants from small towns have this sense that they were the best out of those they left behind so only deserve the best. I'm not saying we don't deserve our ideal, but sometimes I feel like we're so stringent and not true to what we like because of these imposed artificial ideals we set for ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 02:56 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Well, maybe we don't deserve our ideals. I see what you are saying. There are a lot of us who need a reality check so to speak.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Well, maybe we don't deserve our ideals. I see what you are saying. There are a lot of us who need a reality check so to speak.
And maybe certain people are okay with that. I have no doubt that there are plenty of people out there that will be perfectly happy single if they can't find what they're looking for.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And maybe certain people are okay with that. I have no doubt that there are plenty of people out there that will be perfectly happy single if they can't find what they're looking for.
Maybe you just responded to one of them

Old 05-14-2013, 04:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Maybe you just responded to one of them
Yep

I mean, I'm not going to 'settle' for someone I don't love and want to be with, and if that means I'm gong to be single forever, so be it.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:51 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortDoctor View Post
Not willing to settle? Not willing to compromise? It seems that even transplants from small towns have this sense that they were the best out of those they left behind so only deserve the best. I'm not saying we don't deserve our ideal, but sometimes I feel like we're so stringent and not true to what we like because of these imposed artificial ideals we set for ourselves.
Really, how do we know they don't deserve the best or that they aren't the best out of those they left behind? But I get what you're saying. Some people are unrealistic. I'm thankful to them. More to go around while they live in blissful ignorance as to why they are alone.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
People are way too picky. Seriously. Nitpicking over things that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I think it's because people are just so comfortable in this day and age. Consider that the beautiful Angelina Jolie just had a double mastectomy recently. How's that for guys who insist on big boobs?

Old 05-15-2013, 06:54 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,396,604 times
some cities have over a million people living in them, cant really blanket the entire population . find someone that wants what u want.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,282,508 times
It makes sense for some people to be picky. If your date is already unattractive and unintelligent, it's not like you can compromise on personality. If your date is attractive and has a great personality you could say "Our conversations are a bit stale, but she is the nicest person I've ever met and she has a sexy body... can't have it all!"

Old 05-15-2013, 07:32 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
In general I think some people are WAY too picky at times and do defend it by arguing they are not going to settle. However, from my viewpoint as someone who is married, I find that those people often have rather unimportant items on their checklist too (and ironically often ignore things which are far more important in a long term relationship).

Yet, it is up to each person to know themselves, and what they can and cannot live with in a mate.

Nobody should ever feel like they are settling. That said, nobody should feel like making a compromise is settling either. The difference, settling is giving up on something reluctantly or regretfully. Compromising is sort of like trading one desire to get something else, and doing so happily without regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships