Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:39 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, I've sorta coined low level gold diggers as "silver diggers"... LOL...

I personally have never had an experience where a woman was gold digging for my vast middle class wealth.....
Come on, man. Women would totally claw each other's eyes out to get with a guy who lives in a studio apartment filled with IKEA furniture and who drives a 1997 Honda Civic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 09:47 AM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Come on, man. Women would totally claw each other's eyes out to get with a guy who lives in a studio apartment filled with IKEA furniture and who drives a 1997 Honda Civic.
LOL... good point.

The only one experience I could think of in terms of gold diggers is about 20 yrs ago, I got my first "real" job with a large fortune 500 company. There was this "older" woman that was probably 38 or so, I was 21 at the time.... anyways, she was always sorta scheming about seeing what kind of dinners she could get when dating guys or what gifts she could get...

But other than that, I've never seen it... but based on the way some of the pinheads on here talk, you'd think every man needs a 500 dollar an hour lawyer draw up constitution sized docs to protect his measly 4k he has sitting in the bank......

Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 AM

523 posts, read 840,141 times
Quote:
Haha! That would be copper-diggers.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,154 times
I think the term 'gold digger' is a bit overused and refers to something fairly specific; marrying a wealthy person only for the money. I don't think that when a woman tries to get a guy to buy her drinks or even take her out to a nice restaurant that she is 'gold digging. That being said, it gets annoying when strangers approach me and ask me to buy them drinks. If it is a test to gauge interest, I must fail every time.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:48 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,762 times
Quote:
I would kill for some IKEA meatballs right now.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:51 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
Luckily it's not so much like this in the city unless you lounge around in bars where gold diggers are rampant.

Imagine being stuck in a small town or the burbs where if you're not in a house by the time your 25 then you're life was wasted. In these places, women are seeking that comfy upper middle class life where they get the nice house in a master planned community, the big bug shades and the white tahoe to take them to the local Town Centre (a gawdy mutli-use development project) to shop and eat. Why women love to play keeping up with the joneses is beyond me?

Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
We met on OKC and I told her I was about to move in a few weeks and she then asked me............................................."AR E YOU MOVING INTO A HOUSE?
Maybe it's not all about you, and she was just making conversation? Maybe the males in your age group in her locale are in the homebuyer mode? Even people in their 20s rent or buy houses. Where I live, most men will choose a house or a trailer over an apartment or townhouse as soon as they can, because they want a garage and a place when they can work on a vehicle without anyone complaining or interfering. Maybe most of the men she knows prefer houses to apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
What difference does it make what I'm moving into? You don't see how that question is stupid and materialistic?
Nope. I don't read that into it at all. But that's from an adult's perspective.

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 05-24-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 11:20 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Maybe it's not all about you, and she was just making conversation? Maybe the males in your age group in her locale are in the homebuyer mode? Even people in their 20s rent or buy houses. Where I live, most men will choose a house or a trailer over an apartment or townhouse as soon as they can, because they want a garage and a place when they can work on a vehicle without anyone complaining or interfering. Maybe most of the men she knows prefer houses to apartments.
In Philly? Who would prefer a trailer to a nice apartment or townhome? I love cars but I could work on them in a garage vs living in a trailer. I understand the appeal of owning a home and how it looks to women seeking that sort of stability but the allure of it is def stronger in women than in men.

I always laugh when women say that the "guy is not that cute but he owns a home!" LOL. Guys could care less but for women it is a status thing.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I always laugh when women say that the "guy is not that cute but he owns a home!" LOL. Guys could care less but for women it is a status thing.
I've never actually heard a woman say that, although I have heard variations on it -- such as "Let me set you up on a blind date with my cousin Mike. He's in his early 30s, he's an accountant, he plays tennis, and he owns a home."

I also think most women view homeownership as stability rather than status. If a woman is thinking she's ready to settle down (whether marriage or just long term partnership), a man who has bought a house is a good emotional risk to take. The act of taking on a mortgage indicates willingness to be involved in a long term commitment. There's less flight risk. And an indication that a man probably manages his finances responsibly.

(Yes, I know there's always exceptions. But in a world where people can decide to only date blondes; women who weigh less than 120#; men who are at least 6 feet tall; women who wear a certain bra size, etc . . . nothing wrong with a woman using generalized criteria like homeownership to screen and select dates.)

Old 05-24-2013, 12:16 PM

523 posts, read 840,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
In Philly? Who would prefer a trailer to a nice apartment or townhome? I love cars but I could work on them in a garage vs living in a trailer. I understand the appeal of owning a home and how it looks to women seeking that sort of stability but the allure of it is def stronger in women than in men.

The male version is "well she's not that smart but she's really hot"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships