Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:50 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times

Advertisements

Perhaps it also has to do with losing friends to marriage and children, or at least an increasing distance due to differing goals and life experiences. Could it be mourning rather than envy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,454 times
OP, you were just having a bad day and seeing those people happy made you depressed, not what made them happy. As another poster, those same people will be jealous of you, because they can't find a babysitter, or they don't have much money to do things because of bills of raising a child. Whether single or attached, you have to work within your own situation and make yourself happy. It's not your relationship status that makes you happy or sad, it's how you live your life, no matter what your circumstance is. Just as misery can be found in any situation, so can happiness. Just keep focusing on the things you know that make you happy, don't focus on how others are being happy or let them convince you, that you have to be like them in order to be happy

Old 05-20-2013, 07:57 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
If you truly do not want marriage or children, I do not think you are envious of the fact that your friends are marrying or having children.

Instead, I would suspect that what you may be envoious is that they have "good news" to shout from the rooftops and you do not.

Which is ok. Thats not a criticism. However, if your frustrated with your social life for the moment, and they obviously are satisfied at the moment and not shy about letting it be known, then you may have some envy that you do not have similar "good" news to report, even if you would not want to report the same thing.

Don't be envious. Feel confident in the life decisions and goals you are making and working towards!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
It could be because you are having a dating dry spell right now. If you were with someone and in a great relationship, it probably wouldn't bother you in the least.

You're friends' love lives are progressing and yours is in neutral for the moment. Its probably just that.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
I think it is probably a normal feeling. All of these people are happy and have a feeling of family. It feels good. You may change your mind on your stance and you may not, but either way, you are envious of what these people have. Love, relationships, marriages, children.

I hear you talk about your mom but I don't think I have heard you talk about your dad. Maybe you have been upset with the idea of marriage and family in the past but that idea is surrounding you right now and apparently not looking so shabby.

I wish you happiness in your life in whatever direction it goes, The D. =)

Old 05-20-2013, 09:34 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Pretty much, I have not had a good 12 hours.

I came from a church service where at the end, an old classmate from Southern VA proposed to his gf. Then once, I peeled out and got home, I see on my Facebook feed that two of my friends from Kentucky are expecting children. Another couple who I am friends with here in DC, just found out the sex of their kid. Honestly, after taking all this in I am feeling a little depressed.

For the life of me I have no idea why I am feeling so down about those events. I have ZERO desire to conform to the American ideal of family life. Meaning I do not want to get married and I damn sure do not want to have kids. If I had to say what my ideal relationship, it would be a casual or LTR which does not have an mission of ending up at the altar. So I should be totally indifferent to the above news, cannot figure out why I am not.

One possible factor is that I have a lot of trouble just getting a date. I just feel at 24 (and turning 25 in 3 weeks) I should be making more progress socially and especially in the dating arena.

Anyone care to advise or comment?
You are feeling this way because the DC area is "tailor-made" for married couples with families. It works much better for them than it does for single adults.

If you live here long enough, your outlook will likely change as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships