Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:44 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times

Advertisements

No swearing - edit, one cuss word-at the end, and adult themed content. Funny, though. At least I thought so.

Did you just look at my chest - YouTube

Last edited by 70Ford; 05-19-2013 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 08:52 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Lmao! Greg was effed.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:55 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,988,178 times
I especially love the way she instantly called him out at 0:23.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Default Rape Culture is way too pervasive

I am so annoyed that I lost my post here. I'll try to recreate.

When I watched this video, I tried to find it funny. But I couldn't. It really highlighted for me how embedded "Rape culture" is in our society.

Decoding this video, I really heard the following messages:
1. She was "asking for it" since she dressed "provcatively." Including the related messages of, women only dress to attract male attention, and women should take the h=onus of dressing "appropriately" so men won't react.
2. The man can't "help himself" because she is so hpt/attractive/tantalizing/whatever.
3. Women should be flattered by the "positive" male attention, no matter when it occurs.

And then this video made me sad.

Some of you might call this being over-sensitive, but really for me, this vidoe really exemplifies how encoded rape culture is in our society. So much so, that we are expected to think that men reducing us to a set of boobs is funny. And that is depressing.

As an FYI, more info about rape culture:
Rape culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sabrina Nelson: ****-Shaming and Rape Culture
Rape culture in the US military - Opinion - Al Jazeera English
Allison Leotta: SVU Shines a Light on the Rape Culture at College Campuses

Old 05-20-2013, 05:04 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
I would have just said "Yes".

Old 05-20-2013, 05:20 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,355,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am so annoyed that I lost my post here. I'll try to recreate.

When I watched this video, I tried to find it funny. But I couldn't. It really highlighted for me how embedded "Rape culture" is in our society.

Decoding this video, I really heard the following messages:
1. She was "asking for it" since she dressed "provcatively." Including the related messages of, women only dress to attract male attention, and women should take the h=onus of dressing "appropriately" so men won't react.
2. The man can't "help himself" because she is so hpt/attractive/tantalizing/whatever.
3. Women should be flattered by the "positive" male attention, no matter when it occurs.

And then this video made me sad.

Some of you might call this being over-sensitive, but really for me, this vidoe really exemplifies how encoded rape culture is in our society. So much so, that we are expected to think that men reducing us to a set of boobs is funny. And that is depressing.

As an FYI, more info about rape culture:
Rape culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sabrina Nelson: ****-Shaming and Rape Culture
Rape culture in the US military - Opinion - Al Jazeera English
Allison Leotta: SVU Shines a Light on the Rape Culture at College Campuses
How do you hope we combat that though? I would think it would be a waste of energy to worry about every little thing...this video in particular. Why not just stick to becoming infuriated over rape jokes and things of their level, that specifically make light of sexual harassment and such, rather than this video, that requires a level of creativity, I think, to associate it with rape culture? That said, I'm a guy, so rape culture doesn't affect me negatively whether it's here or not, whereas censorship definitely affects me negatively....I like my Beavis and Butthead episodes, and my favorite book is, "Pissing in the Snow," which is a book of nothing except sex jokes and crude jokes gathered from the Ozarks. Quagmire from Family Guy does a lot of specific rape jokes too...and he's my favorite character.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:21 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
I especially love the way she instantly called him out at 0:23.
At that point I walk away without answering her. I would not give her the satisfaction of asking me anything further and talking down to me.

The video was not funny. She didn't need for her ego to be boosted up any further then it already is. No way would I date someone with that kind of attitude.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:29 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Lmao! Greg was effed.
He's better off letting her go.

Assuming they temporarily hit it off chances are she will do the same to the yoga instructer in the near future.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,987 times
Without taking the video too seriously I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, she was a meany but I loved the yoga instructor's reply to her remark. Goodness, I never thought of guys viewing our ta ta's as their infant bottles inducing emotions of feeling nurtured and loved.

Hey wait, how come I don't get those same emotions when I see a women's breasts???? I was a breastfed baby.

Oh that yoga guy was a smooth, sweet talker wasn't he.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
How do you hope we combat that though? I would think it would be a waste of energy to worry about every little thing...this video in particular. Why not just stick to becoming infuriated over rape jokes and things of their level, that specifically make light of sexual harassment and such, rather than this video, that requires a level of creativity, I think, to associate it with rape culture? That said, I'm a guy, so rape culture doesn't affect me negatively whether it's here or not, whereas censorship definitely affects me negatively....I like my Beavis and Butthead episodes, and my favorite book is, "Pissing in the Snow," which is a book of nothing except sex jokes and crude jokes gathered from the Ozarks. Quagmire from Family Guy does a lot of specific rape jokes too...and he's my favorite character.
Your post illustrates my point though. You said rape culture has no impact on you as a man. And that is exactly it. Women have the onus of preventing rape and keeping men in check, whereas men (and everyone) should be responsible for their own action towards others. We always blame the victim for not being more careful or dressing appropriately or drinking or going off alone with an acquaintance. Instead of the person who committed the act.

Making light of the little stuff makes the big stuff more palatable ( like the broken window theory in crime prevention).

A question for you. I am busty. You are likely to notice whether I put on a turtleneck or a low cut shirt. Why am I responsible for your behavior related to that fact. Why should I need to coverup my cleavage to make it more comfortable for you. Why aren't you responsible for making me more comfortable and not staring or talking to my chest. The same thing holds true for someone wearing a short skirt it tight pants or whatever. What I wear should not dictate your behavior.

I am anti-censorship but we do need to be thoughtful about the message we are sending to our society.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships