Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
Yes I seen this yesterday and I am not surprised. Many women have been complaining for years about it. I was surprised however he didn't take away the married option, as that was also a big complaint as well. Oh well doesn't effect me as I don't go looking for any women that young, however, I think more and more men will be lying about their ages now.
Personally I am glad they re fixing the age problem because it is a serious problem, however it's a problem on all the sites. For some unexplained reason men for the most part want much younger and assume they can get much younger on dating sites. However, most of the women I have spoken to about dating sites, whether online or offline all complain about this. Not one was happy a much older man contacted them, unless they were into that. The rest considered it a pain. I know for me I would get so mad when a much older man would contact me. I am not even remotely interested in 60 year old men or older, and even 50 is pushing it (though 50 is still in my range, but at the outer limits). I know several 20 something women and they would get so mad that 40 year old men contacted them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:44 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Personally I am glad they re fixing the age problem because it is a serious problem, however it's a problem on all the sites. For some unexplained reason men for the most part want much younger and assume they can get much younger on dating sites. However, most of the women I have spoken to about dating sites, whether online or offline all complain about this. Not one was happy a much older man contacted them, unless they were into that. The rest considered it a pain. I know for me I would get so mad when a much older man would contact me. I am not even remotely interested in 60 year old men or older, and even 50 is pushing it (though 50 is still in my range, but at the outer limits). I know several 20 something women and they would get so mad that 40 year old men contacted them.
Solution: Stop being lazy and use the age filters

Online dating shouldn't cater to those who aren't smart enough to use an age filter.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:12 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
I have used the age filters, I still got these men contacting me. It turned me off big time to online dating.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:09 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Solution: Stop being lazy and use the age filters

Online dating shouldn't cater to those who aren't smart enough to use an age filter.
Using the age filters does NOT stop anyone from messaging you.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It stops old guys from messaging you.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:21 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,361 times
My friend has come across some REAL peices of work that she found while browsing through POF in years i've known her. The guys she dated would hardly be classified as "men" More like old boys with serious mommy issues

Old 06-03-2013, 01:53 AM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I have used the age filters, I still got these men contacting me. It turned me off big time to online dating.
Don't let a few fools ruin it for you. See below about the filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Then they should have fixed THAT. And yes it could be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Are you talking about the feature that you used to allow a guy to choose a pic he wanted to send a woman on POF? I noticed that feature is now gone.
I believe that is what it was.

And OUCH if that is the ratio between men and women. And i seriously doubt the owner goes the paid route. He has done VERY fine AS IS. Ofcourse this dude does not appear to have a level head on his shoulders either so i guess it is possible. I think the owner should take a break from it and re-focus. I have seen my share of websites go the route this one seems to be headed because of owners like this and suffice to say they are no longer around and we are talking some very popular websites.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,918,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
There are ALOT more men than women on the website, though.
This is true of all the free sites, which means you have to spend way more time on them as a man to get one of the decent women, just based on probability. Unless your time is worth less than about $1 an hour, "free" is pretty expensive compared to the nominal monthly rate of a pay site.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
POF is just a bizarre story to me. i guess i shouldn't be surprised how a poorly-designed site run by a moron, filled with idiots, is wildly successful.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,454 times
yes the Age filters should work. You can set a filter on POF that states no one outside this age range can contact me, I have done it before. But it's irrelevant now, and honestly I don't think it will have the big effect that many people think it will. Many of the guys complaining about and threatning to leave the site, won't do it, because it is still their best option to meet women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships