Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what this thread is about. lol

I think it's about our OP being uncomfortable with men speaking to her in public.

She is concerned they are flirting or, worse yet, thinking that she is flirting with them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, I hope you smiled and made eye contact everywhere you went in America, nothing wrong with being friendly Though it does sound like in your home country (Argentina?) folks do a bit more ogling and outright staring, lol.
Yeah, it is more like that, actually, there are feminists organization that want to ban the "piropo" (piropo is generally a few worlds that guys will tell in the streets to any girl they come across, sometimes is cute/flattery and sometimes is plain sexual and offensive) cause its denigrating to women, supposedly. Im personally not against it, its something cultural, it doesnt mean they actually wanna do that to you. If girls would actually answer those "piropos" then men will stop doing it, probably .

I did found people to be very friendly in USA, specially in Minneapolis. They didnt stare the way people do here, but they were nice and smiley.

This is a funny sketch from an argentinian tv show that ilustrates what im saying about the piropo perfectly:

Duro de Domar - Cualca: Del piropo a la grosería hay menos de... un cachito así 09-02-12 - YouTube

It shows how men behave, and how they might think women might be feeling, but in the end it shows how women actually feel. Its pretty funny-

Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Yeah, it is more like that, actually, there are feminists organization that want to ban the "piropo" (piropo is generally a few worlds that guys will tell in the streets to any girl they come across, sometimes is cute/flattery and sometimes is plain sexual and offensive) cause its denigrating to women, supposedly. Im personally not against it, its something cultural, it doesnt mean they actually wanna do that to you. If girls would actually answer those "piropos" then men will stop doing it, probably .

I did found people to be very friendly in USA, specially in Minneapolis. They didnt stare the way people do here, but they were nice and smiley.

This is a funny sketch from an argentinian tv show that ilustrates what im saying about the piropo perfectly:

Duro de Domar - Cualca: Del piropo a la grosería hay menos de... un cachito así 09-02-12 - YouTube

It shows how men behave, and how they might think women might be feeling, but in the end it shows how women actually feel. Its pretty funny-
LOLOLOLOLOL - that is hysterical!!! Thanks for the laughs

Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,640,523 times
Quote:

A guy I know once told me that if women knew what men were really thinking, women would be walking around with guns and knives.

Here's a comedy show from the US that illustrates.

What Men Want - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
A guy I know once told me that if women knew what men were really thinking, women would be walking around with guns and knives.

Here's a comedy show from the US that illustrates.

What Men Want - Video Clip | Comedy Central

lol, even that little kid?

Old 05-22-2013, 01:28 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Yeah, but I'm thinking when people say this they are truly trying to be helpful or actually give the person a reason to smile.

The thing is, too many folks walk around looking pretty sour, even when they don't feel that way on the inside! Sometimes we do need to be reminded to SMILE
Excuse me, my facial expressions are my business. I walk around looking sour FOR A REASON.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Excuse me, my facial expressions are my business. I walk around looking sour FOR A REASON.
Well sorry, but that's just stupid

Unless your dog has just died or you just lost your job (something traumatic that you are truly dealing with), NOBODY has a reason to walk around all the time with a sour look on their face.

And people who do it on a regular basis apparently don't realize that they are repelling the very people they may wish they could attract

Your facial expressions tell people things about you and your attitude about life.

No one wants to get to know a sour puss, much less consider dating them.

Just food for thought....

Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,255,215 times
Quote:
Actually, when i went to America (USA) i was told that i SHOULDNT look people in the eye like we do here, cause people there could take offense. And when my friend from USA come visit me in Argentina, everytime we went out to the streets, she would ask "why is everyone staring at me??"

So, it depends on where you are. I guess if i see it from here, USA is one of the countries in where eye contact can get you in trouble.
Sure. And all the food tastes like chicken. And you shouldn't drink the water. And if they don't understand what you're saying, JUST TALK LOUDER.

I love it that the stereotypes we harbor in this country about traveling abroad are spread in other countries about us as well.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:59 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,255,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post

I thought there was a three glance rule that indicated interest in someone.
That was eliminated in the most recent edition of the rulebook.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:25 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Quote:
Well sorry, but that's just stupid

Unless your dog has just died or you just lost your job (something traumatic that you are truly dealing with), NOBODY has a reason to walk around all the time with a sour look on their face.

And people who do it on a regular basis apparently don't realize that they are repelling the very people they may wish they could attract

Your facial expressions tell people things about you and your attitude about life.

No one wants to get to know a sour puss, much less consider dating them.

Just food for thought....
They did a study on this awhile back and I saw it on Oprah. Everyone has a relax face. When they are not paying attention to things. My own face looks very serious when relaxed. On Oprah they viewed the audience and they looked very cranky. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships