Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,414 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of this on my way home from work, and was reminded of it due to another poster's comment.

While leaving work, I nearly ran into a man walking on the street. I made eye contact because I wanted to apologize and he told me that I should smile. Not the joking kind of comment, but more of the "hey baby, you should be smiling" type of comment. I scowled and walked away.

I was taught that making eye contact and expressing a greeting is simply being polite. I feel like I am being rude but it has gotten to the point that I no longer make eye contact or give a polite smile when I see a single middle aged man walking down the street.

I thought there was a three glance rule that indicated interest in someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
I was thinking of this on my way home from work, and was reminded of it due to another poster's comment.

While leaving work, I nearly ran into a man walking on the street. I made eye contact because I wanted to apologize and he told me that I should smile. Not the joking kind of comment, but more of the "hey baby, you should be smiling" type of comment. I scowled and walked away.

I was taught that making eye contact and expressing a greeting is simply being polite. I feel like I am being rude but it has gotten to the point that I no longer make eye contact or give a polite smile when I see a single middle aged man walking down the street.

I don't make eye contact because it usually pisses off the other person and I end up defending myself in a physical way.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post

Maybe instead of over analyzing this you SHOULD just smile more often

Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Haha gawd.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I don't make eye contact because it usually pisses off the other person and I end up defending myself in a physical way.
That's pretty sad! Where do you live??

Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
This may be indicative that you have a problem. Maybe your eye contact is of the wrong kind, or your body language is threatening, or something.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:39 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
I have learned that telling people who don't or aren't smiling to smile is rude. It kind of is when you think about it. Just let them be.

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
I suggest wearing dark shades

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
wow, people are crazy

Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This may be indicative that you have a problem. Maybe your eye contact is of the wrong kind, or your body language is threatening, or something.
Unless maybe he lives in a foreign country? I know in some countries making eye contact can get you in trouble. Man I'm glad to live in America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships