Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:27 AM

144 posts, read 223,835 times

Advertisements

I've heard people call dating a marketplace, and people in the "dating game" having market value. While I dislike the idea of considering people commodities, I understand the purpose of the analogy - how viable are someone's chances for getting with somebody they want? One site even offers market tests for both men and women:

Dating Market Value Test For Men | Chateau Heartiste

Dating Market Value Test For Women | Chateau Heartiste

I have to say, the article of the site and some of the comments come off to me as being a $@^&head. If you pick the wrong answer for questions:

Quote:
0: don’t bothering finishing this test.
Quote:
over 33.0: stop taking this quiz. you get nothing! you lose! good day madam!
Or if you go too many questions wrong:
Quote:
-83: You are proof that god does not exist, but that satan does.
What do you think of this idea, that some people should "save their cash" and not get into the "dating game", but find a different pursuit? Does the author come off as harsh, or is he dead on the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,976,371 times
Are you shilling for that site, or do you have problems understanding basic social interactions?

The comment that you should not try to date is an obvious throwaway line, not intended seriously. Of course people of all sorts date.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,592,324 times
I think that dating world is entirely too calculated and cold. I used to be fascinated at the fact that first dates often felt like job interviews, but today it makes me yawn. Relationships are about two peopl ebeing together romanticaly, all the other BS matters little. I also do understand the analogy used but dont like the comparion nontheless. If anything, it is way too much like a market place.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 AM

936 posts, read 2,057,285 times
I agree with the analogy insofar as I think economic ideas can explain and make coherent the things people do when they date. As far as an explicit "market value"....I don't know. That may stretch the analogy a little too far, kind of like Bentham talking about "utiles" as a measurement unit in utilitarianism, or utility curves in behavioral finance.

The author comes off as harsh to me, but I don't think he's altogether wrong, either. Maybe a better solution is to find a different dating market rather than simply sit on your capital?

Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,570,550 times
Yes its a marketplace. There is high demand for a Don Draper or Mr. Big, but there is a low supply of them. Hence why they are considered high value. There aren't many women more attractive than Kate Upton, so she gets to select the price she is willing to sell herself at.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:55 AM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
The most amazing individual that life can present you the opportunity to share your journeys together, could have just said hello.

Dating game is load of crap, the only winning move is not to play.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:58 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,894,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Yes its a marketplace. There is high demand for a Don Draper or Mr. Big, but there is a low supply of them. Hence why they are considered high value. There aren't many women more attractive than Kate Upton, so she gets to select the price she is willing to sell herself at.
I just don't get the appeal of her. Even the highly photoshopped SI covers don't make her look that attractive. There are some fairly hideous candid pics of her.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:05 PM

322 posts, read 583,084 times
That thing is total crap. I scored a 12. I should be a 450.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:10 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,570,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I just don't get the appeal of her. Even the highly photoshopped SI covers don't make her look that attractive. There are some fairly hideous candid pics of her.
The only flaws I would consider is her herpes sore lips, and her non-existent hip to waist ratio because she is packing on more lbs than she needs.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:11 PM

11,770 posts, read 11,986,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
She has the face of a 14 year old, looks really young. Of course, men aren't looking at her face. And without all the supermodel makeup and styling, she, and most of these celebrities are average to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships