Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I wish I had been able to distinguish better between lust and love. I would have made much better choices for a husband (both times LOL).

I wish I had known that love in marriage is a commitment and not so much a 'feeling' -- feelings come and go -- but a commitment is forever.

I wish I had known that separate bedrooms were an option! I would have slept A LOT better! (And sex probably would have been more frequent! LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL)
OHhhhhh, that's a good one.

Too many can't tell the difference and get into bad situations when they jump into marriage too quickly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 04:28 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Meeeeyeah...nothing about the way my wife lives annoys me. Oh, yeah...she leaves crumbs up the counter and leaves it sometimes. And I HATE HATE HATE paper towel usage.

My wife says sometimes I leave my socks in my pants. And I sometimes leave cabinets open.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:46 PM

257 posts, read 295,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyself73 View Post
...What are some of the things that you wish you knew or you had to work through with your SO?
The things you can work through are easy. The things you can't work through become pivotal points. There were two: 1) my ex could not apologize. 2) He hated conflict so he would not say "No" in order to keep the peace, but the uncommitted, insincere "yes" created bigger problems.
In both cases, I think this is a self-worth issue. We all make mistakes and hurt our partner at times. A sincere apology can go a long way.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:20 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,464 times
My in-laws would be the worst part of our relationship! The really came out of the woodwork after we were married, but laid low up until that point.

As far as my wife goes--what is good about a person is what is bad about them.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:32 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,810,581 times
Sometimes he kicks in his sleep. Really hard. I get big bruises from it. I've gotten into the habit of sleeping in a little ball in the corner of the bed to avoid getting kicked.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times
It seems like a lot of people here never even had "sleepovers" with their SO's before officially moving in together?

My boyfriend will stay for me for weeks at a time sometimes (we live states apart) and after about 5 days the natural tendencies came out. That was a few years ago, but it just seems like a lot of people here ares stating things they could have observed after a few days.

Not trying to be nasty, just genuinely curious.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:41 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
My girlfriend likes to 'mother' me a little bit. She always tries to make sure that I eat a complete healthy breakfast, and if I try to leave the house with a slightly wrinkled shirt she whips out an iron or at least the bottle of wrinkle release. I am not a slob at all, but she will go into cleaning/organizing mode if I go to the bathroom or step outside to play with the dogs.

She does leave me plenty of personal space though, and although I know it worries her a bit she doesn't try to discourage me from riding motorcycles, smoking an occasional pipe, or participating in shooting sports.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:08 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,599 times
This isn't really about my wife, but:

I wish I had known the depth of some of my insecurities and what the triggers were/are. They seem to pop up at the most inconvenient times! That said, I am glad my wife is understanding enough even if she gets annoyed.

--Dim

Old 05-29-2013, 07:10 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,810,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
It seems like a lot of people here never even had "sleepovers" with their SO's before officially moving in together?

My boyfriend will stay for me for weeks at a time sometimes (we live states apart) and after about 5 days the natural tendencies came out. That was a few years ago, but it just seems like a lot of people here ares stating things they could have observed after a few days.

Not trying to be nasty, just genuinely curious.
We did sleepover. He doesn't kick that often and I think he was more aware of my presence when we were dating. It doesn't happen often, it's just that when it does, it really hurts.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
One of the reason my relationships went downhill was because I had no idea who I was, where I came from, and where I wanted to go in life. My growing up years laid the foundation for my issues in life; yet I was blind to that fact and anytime I made bad choices I blamed it on anyone or anything other than focusing on myself.

Once I got a clue that "I" needed to look within myself and learn all about me was I then ready to work with a counselor to get the answers.

It is true that the partners I paired up with were not the best for me; however, it was not their fault that I chose them, it was me making the wrong choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships