Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:39 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times

Advertisements

I am kind of at a crossroads right now in nearly every aspect of my life. Professionally, I'm trying to figure out which direction I want to go. I am also contemplating graduate school. Spiritually, I'm becoming more agnostic by the day. In fact, I've decided to stop going to church for the time being when my heart just isn't in it. I'm just sorta searching right now when it comes to religion and I am even questioning should I even search at all or whether religion is for me. I am also emotionally stuck right now in a pit of anger, frustration, etc. because of all of the above. Actually, I would say I'm frustrated by the lack of movement in those circumstances more than the circumstances themselves.

When it comes to dating, I just don't feel I am suitable partner, right now. I feel like actively dating right now, I may be more harm than good to someone while I am trying to get my together. Don't get me wrong, I know no one has EVERYTHING together, but I just don't feel close enough to together to be a good significant other right now. That is why I deactivated my POF and OKcupid profiles. They were causing a lot of stress and anger by getting rejected and the frequency I was getting rejected. Attraction-wise I had no idea what I wanted. I was messaging girls who I found physically attracted without even paying attention to their personality. That was just a bad mix.

I'm not just going to sit on the sidelines and do nothing. Summer is coming and it is my favorite season. I'm going to go out and have as much fun as possible. I'm going to enjoy the company of my friends. I'm gonna enjoy the city I live in. I going to put more of my energy in living my life overall instead of focusing on just dating.

Has anyone taken a sabbatical from dating and managed to become a person who could more easily attract what they was looking for, after they figured out what they were looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 07:42 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

Has anyone taken a sabbatical from dating and managed to become a person who could more easily attract what they was looking for, after they figured out what they were looking for?
....Yes.

...You do get lonely sometimes though.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:42 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
I think being out in the real world and just living moment to moment is always better than relying on the fantasyland of online dating sites. It may surprise you how easily things fall into place when you rely on yourself and real life all the time, not just part of the time.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:24 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Yes and there's nothing wrong with it. Actually better for you and whoever you do end up meeting and dating. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:15 AM

11,793 posts, read 12,027,255 times
I wish more people could be that wise and introspective because it might save a lot of disastrous relationships from occurring in the first place. I agree you're in the wrong mindsest to date so going out into the real world and living for yourself and having a fun summer sounds perfect. And when you're having a good time, in the moment, is when things may just start to click for you.

Best of luck, hope your mood lifts soon and you gain clarity as your life moves forward!

Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 AM

39,220 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Good luck to you! Have fun.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
....Yes.

...You do get lonely sometimes though.
This.

A sabbatical is needed every now and then (from many things!) when you need to regroup or recalibrate or reevaluate. It's okay.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:08 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,089 times
Quote:
I have a policy that I ONLY date seriously with people who have done this for multiple years at a time, and preferably more than once.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,171,516 times
Quote:
I am kind of at a crossroads right now in nearly every aspect of my life. Professionally, I'm trying to figure out which direction I want to go. I am also contemplating graduate school. Spiritually, I'm becoming more agnostic by the day. In fact, I've decided to stop going to church for the time being when my heart just isn't in it. I'm just sorta searching right now when it comes to religion and I am even questioning should I even search at all or whether religion is for me. I am also emotionally stuck right now in a pit of anger, frustration, etc. because of all of the above. Actually, I would say I'm frustrated by the lack of movement in those circumstances more than the circumstances themselves.

When it comes to dating, I just don't feel I am suitable partner, right now. I feel like actively dating right now, I may be more harm than good to someone while I am trying to get my together. Don't get me wrong, I know no one has EVERYTHING together, but I just don't feel close enough to together to be a good significant other right now. That is why I deactivated my POF and OKcupid profiles. They were causing a lot of stress and anger by getting rejected and the frequency I was getting rejected. Attraction-wise I had no idea what I wanted. I was messaging girls who I found physically attracted without even paying attention to their personality. That was just a bad mix.

I'm not just going to sit on the sidelines and do nothing. Summer is coming and it is my favorite season. I'm going to go out and have as much fun as possible. I'm going to enjoy the company of my friends. I'm gonna enjoy the city I live in. I going to put more of my energy in living my life overall instead of focusing on just dating.

Many of people have, in dating, religion, etc. The bold part is a good, healthy mindset to have. You're going about this the right way, better than sitting around at home in the dark feeling sorry for yourself, which is the worst mindset anyone can have when trying to change things. You do the bolded and everything else should fall into place for you. Sometimes the answer to these conundrums happen when you least expect it and you're not thinking about them, which usually is the best time, because you're focusing on things that make you happy now.

Drop me a line on Facebook if you ever need/want to talk, bro, I'm usually always online on my phone.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:40 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,386 times
Quote:

Sounds like your on the right track to me. Dating the last thing from my mind right now I just enjoying time with the family and keeping in touch with my friends from college. Dating is whatever when it comes to being happy. Look being a cool person is being a cool person whether your dating or not. Just do you and it won't even be that major after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships