Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 04:12 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times

Advertisements

This is relationship based due to the dynamics with my ex.

My ex is with the woman he left me for, but denies having an affair with her. He walked out of the marriage for her because he refused to cut all ties with her, and then immediately got an apartment with her. Been living together for many months now.

While dealing with court issues this week, his father - a self described "good, Christian man" and ordained pastor, commented to my father that my ex isn't reeeaaallly doing anything wrong with this other woman. Sure, he sleeps with her, but "remains fully clothed and sleeps on top of the sheets" when they share a bed.

It would take some kind of special to buy this excuse, and apparently his father is in such a state of denial that he is eating it up.

Meanwhile, his father also believes that I was having a number of affairs over the years of our marriage only because my ex told him I was. No other grounds or proof to speak of, just my ex's word.

I have to maintain the relationship with my former inlaws due to having a child in the mix.

So, that brings the question - how do you take someone seriously that is in such a very apparent state of denial and being oblivious to the obvious?

Can you take them seriously after that?

How do you move forward if you have to interact with them fully knowing that they have a certain opinion of you that has no truth, but they believe it as truth with their entire soul?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
This is relationship based due to the dynamics with my ex.

My ex is with the woman he left me for, but denies having an affair with her. He walked out of the marriage for her because he refused to cut all ties with her, and then immediately got an apartment with her. Been living together for many months now.

While dealing with court issues this week, his father - a self described "good, Christian man" and ordained pastor, commented to my father that my ex isn't reeeaaallly doing anything wrong with this other woman. Sure, he sleeps with her, but "remains fully clothed and sleeps on top of the sheets" when they share a bed.

It would take some kind of special to buy this excuse, and apparently his father is in such a state of denial that he is eating it up.

Meanwhile, his father also believes that I was having a number of affairs over the years of our marriage only because my ex told him I was. No other grounds or proof to speak of, just my ex's word.

I have to maintain the relationship with my former inlaws due to having a child in the mix.

So, that brings the question - how do you take someone seriously that is in such a very apparent state of denial and being oblivious to the obvious?

Can you take them seriously after that?

How do you move forward if you have to interact with them fully knowing that they have a certain opinion of you that has no truth, but they believe it as truth with their entire soul?
I dunno, go out and "date" a few of his friends all the while telling him that strobe light he sees going off in your room, when he pulls up....while you meet him in a robe, with his best friends car in the driveway...warm....is really a "bible session" and/or a "prayer group".

Tell him if he sticks around long enough, he'll hear someone yelling "OH GOD!!! YES YES YESSSSSS!!!" in said prayer/bible study group to prove your "point". You might also want to break it to him that you are "dating" the heck out his friends and you plan to "date" their brains out as apparently THEY have the libido he lacked?

Tell him that thanks to his new found "Amish-like piety" , you have become "closer to God", usually in the evening, and that you plan to scream and celebrate his his name with utter joy AND volume with his friends as often as possible this summer and perhaps fall.

Pile on I say. Livin' Large my friend..livin' large....sure... Hey, If you can't have fun in life, why go through it? Just saying....

Let us pray....

You know, living well truly is the sweetest form of revenge?

Old 06-04-2013, 04:57 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
I WOULD laugh, when the FIL said those things. Laughing is an important social signal. You laugh and then you say, 'Oh! You mean that! You actually think I was the one who cheated??!'

Then he can go ahead and believe what he wants. I wouldn't bring it up again.

Alternate plan: Pretend it really is a joke. Laugh and so, 'Oh, JimBob, you are such a card!'

Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
I've had this problem with my ex's a couple of times. They didn't lie about me (Thank god!). But the stuff they pass on that their new wives say, sheesh.

One, when he and wife were interviewing nannies, said, 'We've decided that we want someone who is older, so that she already has experience raising her own kids.' Surrrrre... that is the reason wifey gave you. Not because she doesn't want someone young and hot running around the house in her undies.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:08 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
let him believe what he wants; you know it's far from the truth. I don't see why you have to prove anything to him.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Creepy beyond words.

I mean, there is a serious lack of boundaries in your ex's family.

You can't do anything about it. You just ignore them as much as you can.

And if the "child in the mix" is your child, and this ex-FIL is their grandfather, DO NOT say anything in front of the child that you don't want repeated to his grandparents.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:44 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Creepy beyond words.

I mean, there is a serious lack of boundaries in your ex's family.

You can't do anything about it. You just ignore them as much as you can.

And if the "child in the mix" is your child, and this ex-FIL is their grandfather, DO NOT say anything in front of the child that you don't want repeated to his grandparents.
Yes, the child is mine and they are the grandparents.

Lucky for me - child is still very young, 14 months, and unable to verbalize anything I say at this time. I am absolutely not going to make the mistake of making statements that should not be repeated in front of my son in the future.

It is not that I am out to prove them any differently --- just that awkward state when I show up to give them grandparent time, have to nod and smile and pretend like everything is hunky dory despite the massive elephant in the room. My son is young enough and doesn't have a good relationship with his grandparents that we are not comfortable leaving him alone with them at this time. ("We" as in the FIL, MIL and myself; ex is 700 miles away from all of us, so he doesn't do grandparent time and his parents see our son more than he does because I facilitate it. FIL isn't very kid savvy, MIL is a stroke victim that can't manage the child on her own).

Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
--- just that awkward state when I show up to give them grandparent time, have to nod and smile and pretend like everything is hunky dory despite the massive elephant in the room. .
A lot of relationships are like that, in-law or not. It's unfortunate, but common.

And no fun when it's your own "family."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships