Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 PM

85 posts, read 134,955 times

Advertisements

Of course I agree that someone can be a jerk or misrepresent themselves online or offline but my topic was more about negative aspects of online dating in general. I understand most of what everyone is saying but I find it hard to believe the dynamics of meeting people online and offline are exactly the same, especially if you are online for a long time? I'm not an experienced online dater but have many friends that are and hear stories all time (some good and some bad like I said). Doesn't the constant matching (like 10 a day) and meeting of new people create some negative aspects in terms of commitment, expectations, and the selection process? Or from what am I hearing, does online dating a superior way to find a better match than the old fashioned way of meeting in real life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:42 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
It's the "paradox of choice":
be it 50 different jars of mayo at the grocery store to pick from,
or 50 potential dates from which to select.

Post I wrote about that quandary-
//www.city-data.com/forum/29671235-post8.html

Old 06-06-2013, 11:42 PM

947 posts, read 1,186,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phili80 View Post
Of course I agree that someone can be a jerk or misrepresent themselves online or offline but my topic was more about negative aspects of online dating in general. I understand most of what everyone is saying but I find it hard to believe the dynamics of meeting people online and offline are exactly the same, especially if you are online for a long time? I'm not an experienced online dater but have many friends that are and hear stories all time (some good and some bad like I said). Doesn't the constant matching (like 10 a day) and meeting of new people create some negative aspects in terms of commitment, expectations, and the selection process? Or from what am I hearing, does online dating a superior way to find a better match than the old fashioned way of meeting in real life?
Nothing beats the old fashioned way of meeting in real life. Ever.

With online dating, you also run the risk of being catfished.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
It's the "paradox of choice":
be it 50 different jars of mayo at the grocery store to pick from,
or 50 potential dates from which to select.

Post I wrote about that quandary-
//www.city-data.com/forum/29671235-post8.html
Read reviews, try the best ones, and stick with the one you like.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
The internet is 20% golden and 80% trash. As with anything in life good luck is what helps the most with online dating.

Luck is for losers.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:42 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
Nothing beats the old fashioned way of meeting in real life. Ever.

With online dating, you also run the risk of being catfished.

Yeah, and no one has ever messed with someone from meeting in real life?

Dating is dating, no matter how you meet.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:36 AM

688 posts, read 897,477 times
Quote:
Although I am happily settled with my hubby (who I met offline), I can think of around 5 girlfriends off the top of my head who have met their current boyfriends/fiances online. It's here to stay and although I never loved the idea, it can and does work for many people. I can't help but think of a couple of friends, however, who have been in the online dating game for a long time with no success. They are good looking, well educated, and fun but constantly complain that men they meet either misrepresent themselves (weight, height, profession) or just won't settle/commit since they are content to date around because they have so many options. I have a male co-worker who is on an online dating site and speaks about women he meets like expendable cattle, to him they are a dime a dozen and he gets excited about a new girl every week. I'm thinking that having too many options forces one to not commit until they feel that 'instant' click which may or may not be the best way to find a mate. In other words, unlike the good old days, online dating seems to create people just don't have the attention span/patience to spend time to really get to know someone. Based on countless stories I've heard, this seems like a big negative aspect to online dating to me. What do you think?
Sounds like the Seinfeld syndrome. Meet someone, doesn't meet lofty expectations. "Oh, there's more people. Moving on."

Then again, there are plenty of people who misrepresent themselves, crazy people and so forth. That's the chance you take online.

My girlfriend found me on OKCupid over a year ago. It's been an amazing relationship. We're like two peas in a pod.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:46 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Not as bad as an on-line relationship.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:18 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
Quote:
Although I am happily settled with my hubby (who I met offline), I can think of around 5 girlfriends off the top of my head who have met their current boyfriends/fiances online. It's here to stay and although I never loved the idea, it can and does work for many people. I can't help but think of a couple of friends, however, who have been in the online dating game for a long time with no success. They are good looking, well educated, and fun but constantly complain that men they meet either misrepresent themselves (weight, height, profession) or just won't settle/commit since they are content to date around because they have so many options. I have a male co-worker who is on an online dating site and speaks about women he meets like expendable cattle, to him they are a dime a dozen and he gets excited about a new girl every week. I'm thinking that having too many options forces one to not commit until they feel that 'instant' click which may or may not be the best way to find a mate. In other words, unlike the good old days, online dating seems to create people just don't have the attention span/patience to spend time to really get to know someone. Based on countless stories I've heard, this seems like a big negative aspect to online dating to me. What do you think?
I totally agree with your OP.
Plain and simple, it is making dating more difficult.
For many people, it is a necessary tool to meet people.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
There are two factors, I think. Online dating is a tool. If you don't learn to use the tool well (especially to screen candidates), you'll probably hurt yourself. Second, many people who have no success with online dating also have no success dating in "real" life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships