Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 11:58 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Only if you want it to be (another strike). Any person can be shallow, but people tend to be shallow in all different ways. Height may not be as much of a factor for one woman as another. It never was for me, the love of my life (so to speak) was 5'5".

The point of this argument was really not to make men OR women feel they have NO chance because of biological drive; it was to prove that shallowness is shallowness no matter how prettily one cloaks it.

PF, I like you. I like you a lot. If I had a sister, I'd be hooking the two of you up right quick. I think you're brilliant and funny. But really, I have to ask you this. If a seriously ugly girl (in your estimation of ugly) wanted to be with you and you just didn't, would you force yourself to "feel it"? Can anyone force him/herself to "feel it"?

If you couldn't force yourself to feel physically attracted to someone who just wasn't attractive to you, would that make you shallow, and would you therefore be a terrible person?

It's widely accepted that men have "biological instincts" that make them seek out beautiful women. It is WAY less accepted, in our currency-based/non-physical (non-natural) current societal and still very patriarchal setup, for women to also seek out men who are beautiful to them. I really don't buy into the "it's okay for men because they can't help it, but women actually can, so their shallowness is worse" thing, and that is what I've been arguing.
Are you describing wicked witch of the west type ugly or something? Or are you just saying that everything that I find attractive in a woman is the complete opposite? I haven't actually met a woman that I couldn't find something physically attractive about her.

I'd probably date her to see if we have things in common and we have chemistry. Even if I didn't find her very physically attractive, I can become physically attracted to her in some time if there's plenty of chemistry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Are you describing wicked witch of the west type ugly or something? Or are you just saying that everything that I find attractive in a woman is the complete opposite? I haven't actually met a woman that I couldn't find something physically attractive about her.

I'd probably date her to see if we have things in common and we have chemistry. Even if I didn't find her very physically attractive, I can become physically attracted to her in some time if there's plenty of chemistry.
Has this happened to you in the past (you went out with a woman you really didn't find attractive, but over time you became physically attracted to her)?

Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post

She's talking about Chelsea Clinton when she was in HS. Brilliant, nice, but ... meh.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 AM

135 posts, read 137,509 times
Quote:
I don't know. Hmmm...yes, probably (though I'd leave out the "just" in your sentence). Most though, of course, not all. I think it's the same the other way around. Most, but certainly not all, men want women at least as short as they are.

Obviously there are exceptions on both sides.

I do think this is why so many men seem to lie about their height both online and IRL. I think they feel it sounds more attractive to give a taller height. I personally don't have a point of experiential reference for this, I've never dated a man shorter than I, I think I'd have to visit the circus for that.
I think both sexes can lie about stuff online. People can put in athletic body type when they are nowhere near, people can take angled pictures to give the appearance of a nice face, they can hide the fact whether or not they are married or they have children, etc...

Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
She's talking about Chelsea Clinton when she was in HS. Brilliant, nice, but ... meh.
Wait, wait, not THAT ugly. (Just playin', I like Chelsea.)

ETA: And you know what, Ruth...Chelsea IS the perfect example. I never thought she was so bad physically but men? Oh they just TORE that girl apart. There was a while there where you couldn't go to a party without hearing at least one "ugly Chelsea Clinton" joke.

I'm guessing that wasn't shallow because, well, after all...biology and all that and hum hem hurrr....

And I mean good God, it wasn't as if the girl had one leg and a hunchback or anything. It was just that she dared to be a female in the public in some way AND be non-stellar looking.

Women who dare to not be genetically blessed are fair game to be torn apart with teeth and claws...Janet Reno...that woman on the OJ case, the attorney (can't remember her name)...Hilary...it's like it's a personal affront to men or something that women are unattractive in a way they can't control.

But if it's something a man can't control...well, we horrid wh*res, how dare we be so shallow...

Sad, very sad.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyGuy View Post
I think both sexes can lie about stuff online. People can put in athletic body type when they are nowhere near, people can take angled pictures to give the appearance of a nice face, they can hide the fact whether or not they are married or they have children, etc...
Right, but...you were specifically asking about men and height... (confused) I was answering what you asked me.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What are you talking about? Mrs. Clinton can be considered above average here. IMO she was quite a looker in college.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Right, but...you were specifically asking about men and height... (confused) I was answering what you asked me.
I was just expanding a point and going off-tangent.

*shrugs*

Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Has this happened to you in the past (you went out with a woman you really didn't find attractive, but over time you became physically attracted to her)?
Yeah. Twice.

Chelsea is pretty attractive actually. of course while she was in HS I didn't pay much attention to her because of her age.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Wait, wait, not THAT ugly. (Just playin', I like Chelsea.)
Well, actually it's a good point. Men (here on C-D) say they want women who travel and know languages, and are smart and interesting to talk to, sweet, and kind. There are lots of women out there, and I mean here in the US (for some reason, there's an erroneous belief that American women aren't cosmopolitan, don't travel and are monolingual) that fit that bill. But how many guys would ask out C. Clinton or Amy Carter? Brainy, fun, well-travelled, educated women are all around, but the guys aren't approaching them. Because their main priority turns out to be "hot" women (that reptilian brain again, darn it!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships