Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM

8,749 posts, read 9,441,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
Strange maybe but also caring!
They'r usually some of my favorite people.

This isn't an unusual scenario, usually happens with my exes and their pets as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:28 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,552,376 times
Hey, take it as a very good sign. Dogs like nice, reasonable and kind people. Your girlfriend could be a keeper!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,977,037 times
I think your feelings are normal, and you will get over it.

Humans are hardwired to care deeply about social connections, and to be alert for subtle changes in them. And many humans, like many dogs, expand our social network to include (select) members of other species.

Sure, doggie sees gf as part of the pack. But you also see doggie as part of the tribe/family. You feel the way you would feel if your mom suddenly got a lot closer to your sibling. You are on yellow alert for potential loss of social power. But as time passes and nothing bad happens, you will relax.

I figured you would want the science perspective .

Old 06-10-2013, 11:35 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,977,037 times
Also, that whole post applies to the polyamory discussion in the other thread . Humans often have the same feels of anxiety when their two lovers get to be best buddies. 'What are they saying about me?!' and all that.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:59 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,109,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Tangent doesn't pee on my shoes, but Ninja will hide my girlfriend's belongings (shoes, wallet, keys, laptop charger, etc) throughout the house. She especially likes pulling up the edge of the area rug and shoving a sandal under, like she's burying a bone and saving it for later. In the winter Ninja would hoard my GF's hats and gloves in her crate.

I still can't figure out why this hurts my feelings so much. I could not be happier with my relationship yet I still find myself fondly remembering the days when I was single and my puppy did not need boobs in order to find a comfortable spot on the couch.

Betrayed by boobs, it truly is a sad day....

Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,901,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Normally I am a pretty rational guy. I do a pretty good job pretending to be a grown up, and in a recent course evaluation, one of my undergraduate students described me as "Wise like Gandalf, but without the grey in his beard". Still, there is one issue that has recently come up where I simply cannot let logic prevail.

I am concerned that one of my dogs is starting to like my girlfriend more than me. My three and a half year old American Bulldog mix (Ninja Lou) is still solidly my girl, but my one year old collie/whippet mix (Tangent Theta) has started down a path of consistent betrayal. I know it should be a good thing for our relationship, but I simply cannot help feeling disappointed every time she leaps off of my lap to find comfort in the arms of my SO.

Attachment 112890

I don't think I need advice on how to handle the situation, as I realize how ridiculous it is, but I am simply startled by the way I feel about it. Has anyone ever had something similar? Did you ever get over it? Or do I just need to have my office checked for toxic fumes that are addling my brain?
Why do you suppose this is an issue for you? Do you have abandonment/betrayal issues that this is triggering? Are you normally possessive? Is it the unexpectedness? The lack of loyalty? Do you feel less-than your GF? What is this stirring up in you?

And why did you have to reveal that you are a professor or something?

Have you studied the Enneagram? You might be a Three just based on this - especially if it is about saving face or vanity of some kind.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:08 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,336,746 times
Lol are you guys serious? I really don't think this is a serious post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships