Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 PM

349 posts, read 459,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass45 View Post
It's been years since my boyfriend died. And I prayed to God a few months ago can he send me the perfect guy for me. Well i met this guy at work. We are both in law enforcement. He is a supervisor and everybody respects him because he treats everybody with respect. We both really like eachother alot. We are on different breaks. Most of the time I will come in for him if he calls me which is alot to help him out on his shifts and he always makes his way to visit me. He told he really liked but he cannot date me because he has alot of lose. If he loses his job he loses the custody of his kids. He told me if I was out of my uniform he would ask me out in a heartbeat. Once we are together it;s like nothing else matters around us. He is so kind.
I live a simple life i pay my own bills and do whatever i want on my off days but I don't like to get out much. We both understand out job is very stressful sometimes. i already put in to other law enforcement agencies and they are very hard to get into.
Would I be completely stupid if i gave up my simple life for him?
Is he your supervisor? Unless there are policies specifically against dating amongst staff, I don't see why it should pose a problem. I've heard stories of those in law inforcement dating and even marrying each other. As long as you keep your professional life and personal life separate there shouldn't be a problem. Why is he even bringing up the idea and you two haven't even dated? He is jumping the gun, and what if this doesn't work out? You are left high and dry. Don't do it. The fact he is even asking you to leave your job is a red flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 07:30 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
I think you should go for it, as long as he is willing to sign a legal contract that he will support you until you find another job, at or above your current pay, whether or not things work out between you two.

Otherwise, it's too risky.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:37 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
It's been years since my boyfriend died. And I prayed to God a few months ago can he send me the perfect guy for me. Well i met this guy at work. We are both in law enforcement. He is a supervisor and everybody respects him because he treats everybody with respect. We both really like eachother alot. We are on different breaks. Most of the time I will come in for him if he calls me which is alot to help him out on his shifts and he always makes his way to visit me. He told he really liked but he cannot date me because he has alot of lose. If he loses his job he loses the custody of his kids. He told me if I was out of my uniform he would ask me out in a heartbeat. Once we are together it;s like nothing else matters around us. He is so kind.
I live a simple life i pay my own bills and do whatever i want on my off days but I don't like to get out much. We both understand out job is very stressful sometimes. i already put in to other law enforcement agencies and they are very hard to get into.
Oh yea, quit your job for the possibility of getting a date lol.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:56 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Yes. What are you nuts? Besides your financial goldmine of a job, you would toss all you worked for, your independence for a chance of something, but a promise of nothing?

Old 06-10-2013, 07:57 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Don't do it hun, you'll end up regretting it and resenting him.

I suggest you tell him you can't give up a career for someone you are not in a relationship with.

I thought you were going to say it was your husband or something! Not some guy you work with!

I agree with the others, at most, transfer, but don't give up your career/job.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:59 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'd say the fact you haven't even been out on a date yet is kind of a red flag!

Look, if you really want to see how serious he is you have to sit down with him and have a real conversation.

Put your cards on the table and tell him you are ready to tender your resignation if he is serious about you.

The minute you do this, he'll either panic and back pedal - or he'll be very excited and want to know when you are giving your notice.

Prepare yourself honey - I think he's going to back pedal
Back pedal nothing, he's going to use her, then dump her for the next broad who comes into the command. A real man wouldn't ask you to give up "your career, your financial freedom, your life" for a careless whisper.

What's the quickest way to get rid of someone in a command?
Answer: Tell them to resign and you'll take them out for a "happy meal at McDonalds" and some dessert at their apartment.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:04 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
No, not for someone you haven't even gone on a date with.
This!

Good grief, girl!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Back pedal nothing, he's going to use her, then dump her for the next broad who comes into the command. A real man wouldn't ask you to give up "your career, your financial freedom, your life" for a careless whisper.

What's the quickest way to get rid of someone in a command?
Answer: Tell them to resign and you'll take them out for a "happy meal at McDonalds" and some dessert at their apartment.
But he didn't ask her to. Read the OP again.

She is just thinking of doing it on her own!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:20 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times
OP is being very dramatic and I worry about whether or not you fully grieved the death of your previous, which I am very sorry about. It is very hard to lose someone we love.

However, I do worry you are so eager to fling yourself at this because you are praying for the perfect man.

I worry that you are praying for a man to begin with. This is a huge red flag to me that you need to concentrate more on personal growth and maybe you didn't grieve all the way. It is NOT bad to desire a relationship, but your wording makes it seem like you were quite desperate.

You should know not to dump your career for a man who you haven't been on one date with. I think if you are actually an adult (not 15) and not a troll, you know this to be the truth.

Really, ask yourself why you are doing this.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 PM

706 posts, read 1,204,980 times
Is there anyway you can transfer to another department?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships