Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:12 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah that's called.....ummmmm.....FRIENDSHIP.

and friend zone occurs when one person has no intentions of being with them, but the other person still has feeling and keeps trying to "win the other person over"

that is the difference. it's not a friendship, it is a person with no self respect being taken advantage of by someone else.

Not sure how much more we can explain this to you or why it's so difficult to comprehend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:17 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
and friend zone occurs when one person has no intentions of being with them, but the other person still has feeling and keeps trying to "win the other person over"

that is the difference. it's not a friendship, it is a person with no self respect being taken advantage of by someone else.

Not sure how much more we can explain this to you or why it's so difficult to comprehend?
She was responding to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The idea of the friendzone implies that even though the woman rejects the man, she will be fine with the two of them being, or remaining friends, and so will the man.
If both of them are fine with friendship, they're friends. There's no zone.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:23 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
She was responding to this post:

If both of them are fine with friendship, they're friends. There's no zone.
There is a zone, if only because one (the man) would love to go beyond friendship while the other (the woman) has no desire to do that. She has friendzoned him.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
There is a zone, if only because one (the man) would love to go beyond friendship while the other (the woman) has no desire to do that. She has friendzoned him.
Actually, he has friendzoned himself. She's fine with the situation and not the one with the problem.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Actually, he has friendzoned himself. She's fine with the situation and not the one with the problem.
I don't see how you can say that; she has made the decision that he is friend only. I will say that what he should do is cut off the relationship altogether if he is not satisfied with the situation.

You can't make someone interested if she's not.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
That's the point. She hasn't done anything to him. She hasn't put him in a zone to be cruel or manipulative. She's just not that into him. If the guy is going to hang around with the hopes that something will change, he's the one who's put himself in a friendzone, not her.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:41 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
That's the point. She hasn't done anything to him. She hasn't put him in a zone to be cruel or manipulative. She's just not that into him. If the guy is going to hang around with the hopes that something will change, he's the one who's put himself in a friendzone, not her.
Which is why were calling it pathetic..

Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I'll say she put him in the zone, but he allowed it. And if he doesn't want to be there, he has to get out.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:59 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
I don't see how you can say that; she has made the decision that he is friend only. I will say that what he should do is cut off the relationship altogether if he is not satisfied with the situation.

Exactly. If she thought they were friends and he was settling for being friends but wanting more, that's no one's fault, but he is being deceptive by lingering around, hoping and wishing for more. She made her intentions clear, so it's probably best that he moves on. I don't know how successful people are at getting over their attraction to a friend and just keeping it as friends without some secret part of them hoping one day it will be more.

What I've noticed is that there seem to be no clean breaks. Back when I was younger and dating, if a guy was interested in me and didn't return the feelings, nothing else happened. We didn't resort to being friends as an alternative to dating. I don't recall "friendzoning" back then. You dated or you didn't, you didn't settle for friendship as second place to what you really wanted, which was a relationship. And when you broke up, you didn't remain friends because usually wounds were too raw for it to be healthy to go from dating to friends, that and not wanting to keep an ex around when you were looking for a new relationship. YMMV.

It's okay and sometimes even necessary to make a clean break, for your own wellbeing.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No. Someone doesn't find you romantically appealing, so instead of just dealing with the reality of that, some lameo came up with the "OMG I've been friendzoned!!" crapola.
It's more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

To piggyback off of burgler's post, I always thought the "friendzone" was a combination of a couple things. First, there's usually a guy or sometimes a girl who is friend's with someone, and that person has no intention of pursuing a romantic relationship with them, yet the 'rejected' party still has feelings for them.

But on the flip side, the guy/girl who doesn't have feelings for the friend, use that person's feelings to their advantage. They can use this friend as an 'emotional tampon', their opposite sex go-to friend for any problems, especially relationship issues. You've all heard the stories, the girl goes and cries to the guy (who secretly or not) likes her and complains to him about her boyfriend, guy troubles, etc, yet goes right back to said guy while he just listens and offers support. None of her other guy (or girl if we're talking about guys) friends will listen or give their time the same way the 'friendzoned' person will...and they know this.

And these 'friendzoned' guys are either naive and inexperienced and have a false sense of hope that one day their genuine behavior will lead to sex or a relationship or they allow themselves to be put through that because this is as close to a relationship they will get this person. Either way, it's pretty much their fault one way or another why they're in said situation and for continuing to be in that situation.

At least that's how I've defined this concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships