Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 05:14 PM

135 posts, read 137,509 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a few threads here lately, and they inspired this question. It takes time to befriend people time that is much longer than cold approaching a woman and asking for their number after a small conversation. Enduring such a challenge obviously requires sacrifice and taking such route (if you're genuine) will limit the number of people a man meets. In addition, a man takes a big risk in something like this, because the last time I tried something like this, I ended up falling in love with a woman that was actually dating someone else, meanwhile. It was not easy to get over this and it was very bittersweet for me to be a good friend with a woman that I loved while watching her fall for and eventually marry another man. It took me a while to get over it, and it made me full of regret since she was single at the time we met.

Approaching women that you want to give a chance compared to falling in love with a friend and hoping she does the same are VERY different things and the latter is that much more difficult to deal with.

I guess what I am saying is, I don't know how to go into a friendship with a woman with the intent of eventually asking them out without taking the risk of falling in love with said friend before knowing whether or not they want to reciprocate that feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 05:19 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
You're falling in love too soon, probably out of emotional neediness. Get some help for that. But to answer your OP title question, it helps, especially for shy guys, to put themselves in contexts where they can get to know women and chat them up gradually. Cold approaches can work, but they're all a shot in the dark. You have no idea what someone's really like when you approach them in public, so you can't expect great results more than a fraction of the time.

Cold approaching isn't a challenge if you're used to being friendly with people anyway. Just start a conversation, and if the woman responds with interest, keep it going. If she's giving you positive signals, ask her if you can buy her coffee. There are some guys here who chat up women several times a day or week. It's not difficult if you get so it's natural and automatic.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:04 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,936 times
Why don't you just ask the woman on a date early on?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:06 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,576,238 times
No, friend zone doesn't work

Old 06-11-2013, 06:11 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,855 times
You're more likely to get a date just asking them out early on. Strangely, the best long term relationships I've seen came from friends though. Still, relying on something starting out of friendship is a long shot as most relationships don't start that way.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
The only way friends first can work, is if you are friends first.. not just a little p*ssy guy who is too afraid to ask out "the girl of his dreams".

Bunch of wimps.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Depends entirely on how the woman feels for you.

Honestly, if she's into you, you could ask her out 15 minutes after you meet her, or a year down the road and she'll still say yes.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:17 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Depends entirely on how the woman feels for you.

Honestly, if she's into you, you could ask her out 15 minutes after you meet her, or a year down the road and she'll still say yes.

That's not true, it is to a point but if the guy waits too long someone else can easily come along. I don't know how many times I've had women I was really attracted to but they blew me off, then I found new and better women.. and they decided to want me. Psh, not a chance.

People who hesitate are losers.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's not true, it is to a point but if the guy waits too long someone else can easily come along. I don't know how many times I've had women I was really attracted to but they blew me off, then I found new and better women.. and they decided to want me. Psh, not a chance.

harsh

Old 06-11-2013, 06:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

Maybe I'm just weird then. If I like a guy, I like him period. Of course, I don't have lines of men lining up trying to date me so there is zero chance of a guy 'missing out' on having me say yes to asking me out because someone else came along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships