Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 AM

217 posts, read 306,857 times

Advertisements

I hear the following all the time from guys on the internet.

"Why am I having so much trouble with women? I'm 26 yrs old, have a good job making $65k/yr, I'm decent looking, I have hobbies. I even tried making an online dating profile and I only got 2 messages in the first month I was paying for the site."

Why do you think this is? Is dating actually harder for men these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,991,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post

"Why am I having so much trouble with women? I'm 26 yrs old, have a good job making $65k/yr, I'm decent looking, I have hobbies. I even tried making an online dating profile and I only got 2 messages in the first month I was paying for the site."

I think they're just the ones who have the problem and it seems bigger than it really is because they're the ones making the most noise.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,592,324 times
I think dating is harder for both men and women, today. There are more feminine men and more masculine women in the dating market today, than ever before. Thats the root of the problem.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:17 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,963,134 times
It depends on how often the guy approaches women since women will not approach men.

If he thinks online dating is going to work, he's in for a rude awakening.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,516,833 times
It's because people think that just doing things they are supposed to be doing in life should just guarantee them dates

Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,173,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
It's because people think that just doing things they are supposed to be doing in life should just guarantee them dates
Yep. They take a minimalist, entitled approach to it, and that isn't going to cut it. Millions of perfectly law-abiding, productive members of society to choose from. If you don't make yourself stand out in what you offer a potential partner, you're going to be lonely.

But hey, that would require some introspection, some courage and humility to see what we might be lacking or doing wrong, and some hard work at self-improvement.

I mean, do we really need to trot that Cracked link out again? The bottom line is that the world cares about what it gets from you. Offer something other than the bare minimum and your own expectations. Go for the 37 pieces of flair, not just the 15 required.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,766,074 times
The relationships come around when they gave up or stopped looking. In human nature it's hard for some.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
Quote:

Read this thread, it may give you a better understanding.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...out-looks.html

Old 06-12-2013, 10:29 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,589,494 times
Quote:

The problem is that they're the kind of guys who think dating is an equation, where salary plus looks plus hobbies should equal girlfriend. Unfortunately for them and perhaps ironically, having the type of personality that views the world that way very often equals no girlfriend.

These are also the kind of guys who are likely to express their frustrations on the internets. In my experience they're not as common in the general population as they are on forums like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
Yep, that's another good way to put it.

What gets you dates is being the type of guy women enjoy going on dates with. That doesn't always have as much to do with looks and salaries as some guys think. It has more to do with things like listening, conversation skills, and how you make her feel. Lots of guys who make good money in fields like engineering and computer science have all the social skills and emotional intelligence of a doorknob, which means they often don't get dates.

Last edited by nearnorth; 06-12-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,472,832 times
Quote:

If someone like this really is having trouble meeting women on dating sites (a claim of which I am skeptical), it may be because the male/female ratio on many dating sites if badly skewed. Even some of the largest, most popular sites can have male/female ratios as high as 5 to 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships