Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 PM

217 posts, read 307,352 times

Advertisements

Although I didn't date in high school, I don't think that fact alone is too weird. I went to a Christian high school with a graduating class of 80, an obscure group of people where no one really dated or had sex. I was also very focused on my grades and hobbies at that time.

I remained a sort of reclusive person until about half-way through college. I had joined a fraternity sophomore year and I sort of got out of my shell by the time my junior year rolled around. I had become a heavy drinker and a bit of a cokehead, but at least I was gaining the confidence to want to try and finally get involved in the hookup culture and maybe find a girl to date. Finding a girlfriend, or at least getting laid, was my goal during the summer of 2011, when I had just turned 22 years old.

Long story short, I spent the last 2 years (I just turned 24) pathetically trying to pursue girls. I experienced
  • the friendzone
  • rejection from a coworker, which made work awkward for a couple months
  • drunkenly facebook messaging a girl I liked, completely embarassing myself and so she blocked me lol
  • bunch of failed attempts hooking up with girls because I was too anxious
  • times when I couldn't focus on homework because I was waiting for a girl to text me back
  • a time when I took a girl to my fraternity's formal and she was texting other guys the entire time (I seriously couldn't handle it, so I got blacked-out drunk to completely dull my emotional response)

and other pathetic stuff you'd expect from a pubescent high school kid. How can I help it? Having never even tried to flirt with girls until like age 21, I have the emotional maturity, relationship experience and dating experience as a 14-yr-old. A lot of my friends were lucky enough to have already started drinking, sleeping around and dating back in high school. I'm socially stunted with regards to the opposite sex and it's really taking it's toll on me.

Is it even possible to play catch-up at this point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,361 times
^^^^^^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw6ndZNLYUA

Last edited by AT-AT28; 06-12-2013 at 11:27 PM..

Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
You don't have as far to go to "catch up" as you think.

RELAX. Lots of people don't date in high school. And there are plenty of young 20-something virgins out there.

The thing you have to remember is to stop comparing yourself and your life to other people or images you see in the media.

Once you can really get that in life, YOU are the only person you have to be in competition with, you'll be so much further toward getting all the things you want than you can imagine right now

Old 06-12-2013, 11:11 PM

808 posts, read 1,877,633 times
Relax dude. I and several of my friends were in similar situations as yours once. It's not as uncommon as you think it is.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:21 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
And yet, even with your complete lack of experience, you feel free to lecture women in other threads about what they should do, think and feel regarding men?

What is that all about?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:06 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
and yet, even with your complete lack of experience, you feel free to lecture women in other threads about what they should do, think and feel regarding men?

What is that all about?
You must spread reputation around before you give it to Zentropa again.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:51 AM

354 posts, read 617,691 times
lay off the crack.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:42 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
If you want to be a player or sleep around, probably not. If you want a quality relationship, then yes.

It takes a while for people (that means both men and women) to learn how to stop being retarded, and when they do, there's more of a chance for you to have a quality relationship.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Lots of people don't date in HS and college. I've never heard of anyone worrying about "playing catch-up" before. Catch-up to what? You're not at all alone. You're comparing yourself to frat culture, not a smart move. Just relax, and get involved in activities with women. Get to know women as people. Join hiking groups or sports leagues, meet-ups, political action groups or enviro orgs, take a cooking class. Place yourself around women and interact with them in a low-key way until talking to them comes naturally and you're comfortable with them.

And stop drowning your awkwardness and sorrows in drugs and alcohol. That's not going to impress most women.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:08 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times
I hope you aren't still getting drunk and using drugs.

If you are, you need help.

Alcoholics Anonymous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships