Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 01:29 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have to deal with a relationship with someone who works as a teacher? Or else, someone whose work involves managing or guiding people much younger than themselves?

How do you deal with this issue?

They work so long around younger people, and naturally they begin to think that they know best. But they don't realize that in the classroom of the world, they are really no better than anyone else, regardless of how well they work in their profession.

I feel sorry for them (in some cases). They are in for some major obstacles or difficulties if they don't have a balanced relationship with people outside their work life. But they need to be brought down from their imaginary high towers, at the same time.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 01:32 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Write an F on their forehead.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:36 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone here have to deal with a relationship with someone who works as a teacher? Or else, someone whose work involves managing or guiding people much younger than themselves?

How do you deal with this issue?

They work so long around younger people, and naturally they begin to think that they know best. But they don't realize that in the classroom of the world, they are really no better than anyone else, regardless of how well they work in their profession.

I feel sorry for them (in some cases). They are in for some major obstacles or difficulties if they don't have a balanced relationship with people outside their work life. But they need to be brought down from their imaginary high towers, at the same time.

What do you think?
Are you in a relationship with a teacher?

Old 06-29-2013, 01:39 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
One of my male friends met a teacher on Match.com and ended up marrying her. Honestly I cannot stand being around her, she is so smug and superior. He has changed too. When we used to go out by ourselves for happy hour or dinner he was a great conversationalist. Now he just talks and talks (about himself and his family mostly) and never leaves room for me to say anything!

But she is the only teacher I know who does this, so it could be that she is just a narcissist, and he talks too much because he never gets a chance at home.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:40 PM

173 posts, read 209,244 times
LOL

Got another for you Froggie.

It's "our" lucky day! HAHAHA

Van Halen - Hot For Teacher (HQ music video) - YouTube

Old 06-29-2013, 01:42 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
I'm a teacher but my interactions with people aren't the way you describe at all. My teaching philosophy and the way I run my classroom is not run the way you describe the profession either so maybe that's the difference.

Perhaps it's not a condition of the profession but rather the personality of the individual you are seeing? Your mate sounds like they may be a little controlling and/or have low self esteem if they talk down to you or treat you poorly. I think that is what needs to be addressed here, not the fact that this person is a teacher.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:43 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
pretty simple, don't date teachers
if its something that bothers you THAT much its an incompatibility. stop trying to force things

Old 06-29-2013, 01:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
You sound resentful of your partner. That probably has to do with something more complex than her work.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:50 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I'm a teacher but my interactions with people aren't the way you describe at all. My teaching philosophy and the way I run my classroom is not run the way you describe the profession either so maybe that's the difference.

Perhaps it's not a condition of the profession but rather the personality of the individual you are seeing? Your mate sounds like they may be a little controlling and/or have low self esteem if they talk down to you or treat you poorly. I think that is what needs to be addressed here, not the fact that this person is a teacher.
Good post Sixy.

I was a type of teacher and most can turn it off when they want. I think many need a break and are glad to turn it off.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:53 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I find myself doing "history lessons" fairly often in one my other lives. Pisses people off but they need to know the "why" sometimes of the way things are.

As a husband, sometimes. But remember we're both teachers. As a parent? That's your job. Including with your now adult children occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships