Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:37 AM

16,401 posts, read 30,807,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
The ultimate 50th Anniversary Doctor Who would be if they remade "The Evil of the Daleks" finding people who could play the parts of Patrick Troughton, Victoria Watling, and Frazer Hines like they redid the original Kirk, Spock, etc for Star Trek, and remake the best Dalek ever created, the original Emperor Dalek. And play a tape of Peter Hawkins' Dalek voices in the remake, which are the best Dalek voices ever.

Talking to people who know what the heck any of what I just wrote means would be kind of cool.

Exterminate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,669,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Exterminate
Lol.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,277,882 times
Many people confuse open minded intellectualism with nerdiness, especially younger people. There is nothing wrong with having obscure interests and hobbies, although they may get you labeled 'nerd' in your early twenties. The good news, at least in my experience, is that as women mature they begin to appreciate 'nerdiness' quite a bit more.

I have a crap ton of 'nerd cred'. I have authored publications on phenomena that most other academics in my field have never heard of, I have built lasers in my basement, and I have over a thousand books on ancient and medieval history in my library. In my living room I have high res scanning electron microscope images of quantum dots that I took myself as a graduate student, and the shower curtain in my basement has a depiction of the metabolic pathways of nitrogen that I had to have custom made.

When I was in my early twenties I had to hide my nerdiness in order to avoid scaring away dates. When a girl asked "What is that picture on your wall?" I would bite my tongue and just say it was abstract art rather than a SEM image, and I had to build an impenetrable wall between my work friends and my social circle, because I knew that the two groups would not mix at all.

These days the women I date are much more comfortable with my own nerdiness as well as the nerdiness of the people I work with. I don't make my girlfriend read my scientific articles, but she seems to enjoy touring my labs and learning about what I do, and she loves my "artwork". She also tends to describe my more eccentric colleagues as "interesting" rather than "weirdos".

In other words, don't limit yourself to a narrow scope of women that you think might be attracted to nerds. If you meet other basic criteria for attractiveness (can carry on a conversation, take care of yourself, have a sense of humor, etc) your nerdiness is not really that much of a hindrance, and it will become even less of a hindrance as you get older.

Being "girly" is a different issue entirely and I think it is very much separate from being a nerd. Many of the nerdiest people I know do plenty of 'masculine' things like play sports, work on motorcycles, and go fishing.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,578,024 times
Quote:
How does a person find women who isn't interested in cool guys and tough guys ?
Women who like nerds seem to be everywhere these days, if by nerd you mean "intelligent, thoughtful guy" and not "guy with zero interpersonal skills."

Women who like "girly men" may be harder to find, but that depends largely on what exactly you mean by "girly man." If you mean, "Man who isn't obsessed with body building and sports," there are lots of women into that. If you mean "Man who is so feminine that he literally seems like a girl," probably less so.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:34 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,914,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Women who like nerds seem to be everywhere these days, if by nerd you mean "intelligent, thoughtful guy" and not "guy with zero interpersonal skills."

Women who like "girly men" may be harder to find, but that depends largely on what exactly you mean by "girly man." If you mean, "Man who isn't obsessed with body building and sports," there are lots of women into that. If you mean "Man who is so feminine that he literally seems like a girl," probably less so.
No, I'm not so feminine that I seem like a girl. But I'm definitely the opposite of a macho man who likes making displays of upper body strength, working on cars, showing off in sports, body building, and the like. For a male my size, I have well below average upper body strength, and that includes when I was working out and extremely fit (which I am not any more).

By nerd I mean has nerdy interests such as birds and "non cool" music, and is essentially the opposite of the cool, smooth guy. Yeah, my interpersonal skills are well below average. However, people do seem to like me for the most part, so I don't have "zero interpersonal skills". Mostly I'm avoidant / socially anxious if not schizotypal (i.e. does not desire social interaction).

Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,578,024 times
Quote:
No, I'm not so feminine that I seem like a girl. But I'm definitely the opposite of a macho man who likes making displays of upper body strength, working on cars, showing off in sports, body building, and the like. For a male my size, I have well below average upper body strength, and that includes when I was working out and extremely fit (which I am not any more).

By nerd I mean has nerdy interests such as birds and "non cool" music, and is essentially the opposite of the cool, smooth guy. Yeah, my interpersonal skills are well below average. However, people do seem to like me for the most part, so I don't have "zero interpersonal skills". Mostly I'm avoidant / socially anxious if not schizotypal (i.e. does not desire social interaction).
If that's the case, some of those people are female, right?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM

16,401 posts, read 30,807,449 times
All women want a nerdy guy til they actually meet a nerdy guy. What they actually want is a cool, good looking guy who is just really into something. In real life, Leonard from Big Bang theory is not going to get penny

Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Your antisocial and you want a nerdy girl. Hmm shouldn't be hard honestly. Go to the bowling alley, library, discovery store, museums, science groups, horticulture groups, forums of the topics that you like. Don't worry women like girly men. My dad was in the service but was the best with nurturing children. So it can be good.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
All women want a nerdy guy til they actually meet a nerdy guy. What they actually want is a cool, good looking guy who is just really into something. In real life, Leonard from Big Bang theory is not going to get penny
That's not true. I have a friend that looks like a model and tall. She dated many nerds.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:45 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,914,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
If that's the case, some of those people are female, right?
I don't know a lot of women. Those that I do know are all married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships