Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:31 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times

Advertisements

You're hanging out with the wrong type of people.

I dance to the beat of a different drum, always have done. My friends are people who understand and respect that.

I will very often say No to organised activities. They still invite me, because occasionally I say "yes".

I'm like you, I cannot stand to be where I don't want to be, doing what I don't want to do. In my experience sacrificing your own preferences for someone elses always ends in tears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 PM

270 posts, read 387,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Who said anything about being half naked? You don't need to be half naked to go to a bar. You are setting up a strawman argument to justify not going out with your friends.

I know that you don't...but they always want to dress up half naked and how do I look next to them if I'm mostly covered up ...awkward.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:33 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Why are you equating being scantily clad with socializing? Don't you ever go to visit friends and sit around with a pot of tea catching up on news, or go out to lunch or a movie with a friend, or go hiking or take a walk in the park with friends? What do clubs, alcohol and beaches have to do with socializing? If you don't have friends who like to do the type of socializing you do, find some. Join a meet-up group, or start one.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:34 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
what are you asking? there are lots of people like that. yes, it will be harder to meet people the less you socialize so if meeting people is important to you you need to find some more social activities to incorporate.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:34 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyj19 View Post
for example , I'm planning on taking a class during the summer when initially I wasn't ..but I'm determined to advance in my degree...I told 3 of my friends and they all looked at me like I was nuts. I mean ..yeah ..but I do need to relax a little but isn't being driven a good thing?

Look...it's your life. The main thing to ask yourself is this; are YOU happy? Can you look yourself in the mirror and say you are happy and/or content with what you are doing right now? If so, what other people say doesnt matter. If wortking towards your goals makes you happy, so be it.

People will always tell you how you should live your life. Example..Im a non drinker, and for some reason this just brings out all kinds of uncalled for comments from my friends. They tell me im no fun, I need to loosen up, blah blah. Funny thing is, ive got one of the greatest sense of humor among a lot of my friends, AND i love doing things and trying things, etc. I JUST DONT LIKE TO DRINK! Because of that, something must be 'wrong' with me, and that's all they focus on sometimes in spite of everything else about me. This just annoy's the sh*t outta me.

I mean, I dont go around preaching to THEM about the fact that they DO like to drink. I could care less.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:35 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
for example , I'm planning on taking a class during the summer when initially I wasn't ..but I'm determined to advance in my degree...I told 3 of my friends and they all looked at me like I was nuts.
Nothing wrong with taking classes in the summer.
Quote:
I mean ..yeah ..but I do need to relax a little but isn't being driven a good thing?
being driven is actually a great thing. Too many people aren't, but even you just said it. You need to relax some, too.

So does your boyfriend.
Quote:
My bf is like "hey let's go see some male strippers"..ehhhh really not my thing ... "hey let's go to the beach"..ehhhh don't like to wear a bathing suit and I hate sand ....
Your boyfriend is asking you to do things with him, to spend some time with her and not all of it with your school work. Although I don't understand the male strippers thing, he's asking you to stop with the school work so much and spend some down time with him.

But you don't.

So how long until he finds someone who will?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why are you equating being scantily clad with socializing? Don't you ever go to visit friends and sit around with a pot of tea catching up on news, or go out to lunch or a movie with a friend, or go hiking or take a walk in the park with friends? What do clubs, alcohol and beaches have to do with socializing?
This is their area of enjoyment .. not mine. I PREFER just going out to catch up and catch a movie ...but not every friend is interested in what I like

Old 06-14-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Nothing wrong with taking classes in the summer.

being driven is actually a great thing. Too many people aren't, but even you just said it. You need to relax some, too.

So does your boyfriend.

Your boyfriend is asking you to do things with him, to spend some time with her and not all of it with your school work. Although I don't understand the male strippers thing, he's asking you to stop with the school work so much and spend some down time with him.

But you don't.

So how long until he finds someone who will?

sorry I meant Best friend ..no boyfriend here

Old 06-14-2013, 02:38 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Is there something wrong with not wanting to be half naked in clubs or parading around in tiny bikini if you don't feel like it? Do people find it odd if your dedicated to your craft and personal life as opposed to living it up all the time? Mind you I'm not a teenager ..but I think I'm entitled to be my own person.

I'm a workaholic and a schoolaholic -- is that even a word?lol Anyway, people have a hard time understanding when you are dedicated to a goal--future Registered Dietician. I don't have much of a social life but I'm fine with that. I rarely drink don't smoke and I'm pretty quiet person. I have friends, family members and colleagues who insist that I work too hard and don't play enough. How do you make people understand that you're good with where you're at without coming off like a b****??

Why worry with what others think about you? Does it really matter in the entire scope of your life?

You don't make them understand, you live your life, ignore their snide comments and move forward to attain the goals you have set for youself and leave them behind if need be. If the topic comes up again tell them your lifestyle is not up for discussion and not open for opinions then change the subject. If they insist on continueing to badger you about it get up and leave and tell them exactly WHY you are leaving. Then go and have a nice peaceful afternoon studying or walking in the park or doing whatever it is you do fully clothed or wearing a modest swimsuit.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
what are you asking? there are lots of people like that. yes, it will be harder to meet people the less you socialize so if meeting people is important to you you need to find some more social activities to incorporate.
I'm asking how do I make the people closest to me understand that this is who I am ..without coming off as some kind of hermit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships