Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Mentally challenged? I've never worked these jobs, but the people I observe working at fast food joints don't appear to be mentally challenged in my estimation. I'm pretty sure some are Stoners. My martial arts instructor also worked part time at a restaurant. He was an athlete competing in MMA and I think Taekwondo. His goal in life was not making money.
This guy was. I realize corporate America isn't for everyone but still working at a menial job that teens do seems weird to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:27 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
I chose architecture as a profession, not because I wanted to get rich but because I wanted to do what I loved. It's near impossible to make a good living out of it in this economy BUT there's no way I could do anything else - it's who I am. There are more important things in life than money frankly.

And i'm only 34

Last edited by archineer; 06-16-2013 at 06:29 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 06:28 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You're an exception to the rule, I work with a lot of people that make 6 figures and they ain't working a straight 40.

It's cool that you were able to do that.

Just as a side note... it's sorta bad form to talk about money.... besides 1.1 isn't all that much... if you are looking for bragging rights....
Not bragging at all. Seriously there's always someone else with more, and more power to them if they come by it honestly. I'm just pointing out what can be done with the right attitude and a work ethic. I'm healthy, retired and my pension is more than I need for fun.

My issue is with our government giving unemployment to people who only work long enough to collect, and then go get another job until they can collect again. You make your own way in life. I have absolutely no problem with giving someone help to get on their feet. I've helped at my share of soup kitchens. But when someone plays the system and takes from everyone else because they don't want to be bothered to work, they'll get no respect from me.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
Why are you so arrogant you can't imagine that some people have different priorities than you? Why must you drop to your knees in the mudpuddle when someone has a different opinion than you? Why aare you so fragile?
I don't know you, and you know nothing about me, so your opinion is irrelevant to me. You can think what you want and I'll go on living.

This isn't a discussion about priorities. If someone wants to live their whole life working menial jobs, I have absolutely no problem with that. They're following their own drummer, and that's fine with me. If that makes them happy, I wish them nothing less in life, and I can fully respect that.

The OP noted that she deals with people who 'live off of unemployment' until that runs out, THEN they go and get a job to get more unemployment. If you consider leeches of society, living off of everyone else, as people with priorities to admire, you go with that. I however disagree.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:25 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
The thing is I understand when people work those jobs because they fall on hard times. There is no excuse not to better one's self. I once had a guy who was 50 and working as a KFC cook contact me on a dating site. I have a masters so what would I have in common with him? not like he was doing it temporary, he was doing it 20 years.

If he was doing it 20 years it does show he is not ambitious, but then again ambition can be a very negative human quality. Many "go getters" are not the kind of people you want to trust or spend much time with. The same quality that drives them to succeed can make them self absorbed and narcissistic. Actually staying at the same job 20 years shows stability and work ethic even if he does not have an impressive job. Also after 20 years I bet he makes more than you think he does, not 7.25 an hour. Also some restaurant work pays better than you think as well, not necessarily KFC however. Same goes for retail work, a lot of it is low wage but some retail workers make upwards of 20 dollars an hour. It all depends on where they work and how long they've been doing it.
You also mention education level, well you'd be surprised how many people with degrees are working in an "underemployment" situation. Depending on what part of the country your in, you may find college educated people working in places you would not expect. There are far more degrees out there than there are professional level employment opportunities. I will refer back to what I said in a previous post about the types of people who have good jobs. 1.Highly ambitious go getter types, 2. extremely intelligent and 3. those with influencial relatives that get them in. If you do not fit one of these catagories you will find a college degree was a waste of time. You will be likely working in a retail store or a factory like everyone else.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:30 PM

52,261 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If he was doing it 20 years it does show he is not ambitious, but then again ambition can be a very negative human quality. Many "go getters" are not the kind of people you want to trust or spend much time with. The same quality that drives them to succeed can make them self absorbed and narcissistic. Actually staying at the same job 20 years shows stability and work ethic even if he does not have an impressive job. Also after 20 years I bet he makes more than you think he does, not 7.25 an hour. Also some restaurant work pays better than you think as well, not necessarily KFC however. Same goes for retail work, a lot of it is low wage but some retail workers make upwards of 20 dollars an hour. It all depends on where they work and how long they've been doing it.
You also mention education level, well you'd be surprised how many people with degrees are working in an "underemployment" situation. Depending on what part of the country your in, you may find college educated people working in places you would not expect. There are far more degrees out there than there are professional level employment opportunities. I will refer back to what I said in a previous post about the types of people who have good jobs. 1.Highly ambitious go getter types, 2. extremely intelligent and 3. those with influencial relatives that get them in. If you do not fit one of these catagories you will find a college degree was a waste of time. You will be likely working in a retail store or a factory like everyone else.
Yes, there are a lot of highly educated barista's out there......... just a FYI... LOL

****ing people... with their degree's... think the world actually gives a shyt... the only thing in the world that seems to matter to people is how can you make them money.........

You follow what I'm saying.... how can you be exploited or how can this process make money...

Sounds bitter.. but it's the damn truth......

Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 PM

I realize many educated people work menial jobs but a cook at KFC for 20 years and part of that time was as a dishwasher? no we would have little in common.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:18 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
The thing is I understand when people work those jobs because they fall on hard times. There is no excuse not to better one's self. I once had a guy who was 50 and working as a KFC cook contact me on a dating site. I have a masters so what would I have in common with him? not like he was doing it temporary, he was doing it 20 years.
Quote:
I didn't say he was less than me, but we wouldn't work because we are different. The reason he is working in fast food is because he is mentally challenged as are probably most of those who do this job later in life. I worked these jobs myself only I was in college and they were a way to pay for school.
I fail to see how your masters degree should impact your decision to date him when you go on to say that he was mentally challenged which is the reason he worked at KFC for 20 years. So is it education that is the deal breaker? What if he had a masters degree and worked at KFC for twenty years as a manager? Would that influence your decision any differently?

Old 06-16-2013, 10:25 PM

Being a manager yes would make a difference. He was mentally challenged because he told me and he told me where he attended school (which is a school for special ed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships