Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:08 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Which is why I call shenanigans on the OP. That whole post reeks of classism and socio-economic snottery that can only be fabricated.
I agree, it sounds like a way just to rag on people.

Another poster talked about education and the job availability in the US right now. It used to be good jobs were plentiful, those days are gone, and are gonna stay gone I don't think that were ever gonna get back to the lower employment number we used to have, a lot of jobs have been phased out, don't wanna get too far off track here. There is a paradigm shift happening in the country over the last 20 yrs or so. The days of just going to college and getting a degree in something like English studies or Art and getting a job are gone.

Unfortunately the sciences/tech and health care becoming more and more in demand and even that is getting shaky......

Back the 40's and having a low end job. I'm in my 40's have a very demanding job, I make good money, but the stress level is getting to me. The need to stay up on the latest technology constantly is grinding.

At times I seriously think about selling my house in So Cal, going to live somewhere much cheaper with less crowds, get myself a dumbed down job and just be more content.

So bottom line, don't always judge a book by it's cover, as in seeing some dude in his late 40's or 50's with a "low end" job.

His last job might have driven him there...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 02:16 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanNature View Post
I am doing some volunteer work helping people with their resumes. As a college educated upper middle class professional who spends most of my time socializing and/or working with people who work in so called professional occupations, seeing the working poor and their spotty job records has been quite the eye opening experience.

There seems to be quite a few Americans who are middle age who have never had a so called real career. I am just shocked at the number of resumes I see from people who move from job to job, employer to employer. Some people in their forties are into their 50th job since graduation from High School. For six months they will work as a prep cook at Perkins, then get canned, then sit on unemployment for a long time and then get a job at the loading dock at K Mart, then quit after a fight with the boss, then move on to a landscaping job, until they hurt their back. Out of work for a few months then on to the factory. You get the picture.

These are fathers, husbands and providers. They are in relationships with spouses or significant others and are usually able to attract women.

Anyone here in a relationship with someone like this? Nice guy, but just moves from one low wage job to the next?

Good lord.....

So many people who graduate from college are annoying as hell.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Good lord.....

So many people who graduate from college are annoying as hell.
Yeah, I agree......

Specially the ones with degrees in underwater basket weaving or some other boring nonsense........

Old 06-15-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, I agree......

Specially the ones with degrees in underwater basket weaving or some other boring nonsense........

Oh I know, they get a liberal arts degree and as soon as they graduate with their 25,000 a year job they look down on everyone without a degree and anyone in any type of physical labor.

"oh my god, he's so uneducated I could never date someone without a Bachelors"

"im college educated, i just can't possibly understand how someone works physical labor"

Many of the people in these jobs are doing better than the college educated..

It's even funnier that someone helps the poor and then comes online and talks crap about them.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Oh I know, they get a liberal arts degree and as soon as they graduate with their 25,000 a year job they look down on everyone without a degree and anyone in any type of physical labor.

"oh my god, he's so uneducated I could never date someone without a Bachelors"

"im college educated, i just can't possibly understand how someone works physical labor"

Many of the people in these jobs are doing better than the college educated..

It's even funnier that someone helps the poor and then comes online and talks crap about them.
Agreed.

Yeah, there are actually studies coming out that are sorta saying in an indirect way to not bother with big expensive colleges with less than useful degrees, more saying that tech schools and trades are the way to go, at least in terms of job security and decent money.

Heck... you need cabinetry work done or electrical work around the house done, they can't offshore that shyt to India.... at least the last time I looked...

LoL...

I've just dropped a thousand bucks recently on pluming repairs for the house.........

Old 06-15-2013, 02:43 PM

111 posts, read 659,971 times
So you would rather date someone who was going into their 50th dead end job since High School and making $7.91 an hour vs. someone who has some type of post High School Training, committed to their career, learning and growing in a profession and expanding their skills? OMG!

Old 06-15-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
So you would rather date someone who was going into their 50th dead end job since High School and making $7.91 an hour vs. someone who has some type of post High School Training, committed to their career, learning and growing in a profession and expanding their skills? OMG!
Who are you addressing this question to, if it was me, most certainly not date someone as you decribe, but you list extreme examples.... it's either upper middle classes professionals or complete deadbeats, and trust me there are plenty of normal people in between.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't date a girl with a bachelors degree if she had some complex that everyone without a degree is a Mod cut: Inappropriate language. Trust me, I've been out with girls like this and dropped them without even thinking twice about it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-16-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 02:55 PM

664 posts, read 1,036,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
As an over paid sales person I can tell you why very easily: sales people generate revenue in an easily quantifiable way. Distribution pays more than manufacturing. The highest quality item is worthless if it isn't easily bought in retail stores. Fair? Maybe, maybe not. But life isn't fair.
LOL My old man used to hire them. They would stuck up their nose to $150,000 per year. "Good lord, I cannot work for that".

Just stand there and look stupid then, cause you are sure good at that.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:57 PM

111 posts, read 659,971 times
Quote:
I wouldn't date a girl with a bachelors degree if she had some complex that everyone without a degree is a useless piece of sh*t. Trust me, I've been out with girls like this and dropped them without even thinking twice about it.
Actually I think some type of vocational training is a better choice today than college. I just like relationships with people who have post High School Training towards a career and thus make more than $7.64 an hour in their middle aged years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships