Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:00 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
I'm 32 and never had a girlfriend. I just want to calmly live my life, work as much as possible, travel as much as possible, help my family as much as possible, take care of my dog. I don't want a woman to ruin such a good life.

My friends, however, always try to set me up. At weddings or parties, they frequently leave me alone with a single woman or make comments like "oh she has just broken up with her boyfriend." Congrats to them but why would I care?
At least your friends definitely care about and value you...I didn't have a 1st g/f until I was 31, but my friends/family could have cared less whether I found someone romantically or not, and so I had to do everything on my own, the hard way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
These days they are all getting married and turning into very, very boring people. It's marriage, babies, wedding dresses, family homes, ugh.
J/c, have you ever considered that while I understand that you are happy being alone currently, later on down the road in the future, you might potentially come to regret not having someone special in your life, who loves you and cares about you?

Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Not wanting my life turned upside down and not wanting to spend money on someone that will stab you in the back given the chance.
Ah, but please remember though, not all women are like that, not by a long shot...some women can be incredibly loving, affectionate, caring, and gentle

I mean if you were to actually meet the hypothetical girl of your dreams, wouldn't you at least be willing to give her a chance?

Old 06-17-2013, 03:17 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Ah, but please remember though, not all women are like that, not by a long shot...some women can be incredibly loving, affectionate, caring, and gentle

I mean if you were to actually meet the hypothetical girl of your dreams, wouldn't you at least be willing to give her a chance?

Weren't you paying attention? He has a plan that includes working a lot, traveling, taking care of his parents and playing with his dog. Who are we to tell a 32 year old man who has never had a girlfriend and was upset because he started to like someone once what to do or how he might be missing out?

Old 06-17-2013, 03:50 PM

677 posts, read 1,193,655 times
Quote:
J/c, have you ever considered that while I understand that you are happy being alone currently, later on down the road in the future, you might potentially come to regret not having someone special in your life, who loves you and cares about you?
Regret what? Living the high life?! His friends are just jealous.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Weren't you paying attention? He has a plan that includes working a lot, traveling, taking care of his parents and playing with his dog. Who are we to tell a 32 year old man who has never had a girlfriend and was upset because he started to like someone once what to do or how he might be missing out?
Whatever works best for the OP and makes him the most happy sounds great to me...if he is more happy being by himself and the other activities you had mentioned, all the more credit to him

At the same time though, right now in the present he is 32. But what happens when he is 45-50-65, etc.? When his parents and pet eventually pass on into the hereafter in the future, due the natural process of aging? Has he ever considered that it might eventually become really lonely, not to have a loving family of his own in his life? Everybody has a fundamental human need, to be loved and cared about...

Old 06-17-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Regret what? Living the high life?! His friends are just jealous.
I freely concede that an unhappy marriage where it is nothing but stress and conflict for both sides is not something that anyone should be actively wanting or aiming for. However, having the real love of a truly good, kindhearted, and loving woman can make a huge and incredibly powerful difference for the better, in someone's life If he was to find a compassionate, affectionate woman that genuinely cared very much for him and freely offered him her heart and love, would he really want to turn that kind of precious gift away?

Old 06-17-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Whatever works best for the OP and makes him the most happy sounds great to me...if he is more happy being by himself and the other activities you had mentioned, all the more credit to him

At the same time though, right now in the present he is 32. But what happens when he is 45-50-65, etc.? When his parents and pet eventually pass on into the hereafter in the future, due the natural process of aging? Has he ever considered that it might eventually become really lonely, not to have a loving family of his own in his life? Everybody has a fundamental human need, to be loved and cared about...

I actually agree with you, was being sarcastic, which doesn't translate well.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:36 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Your friends think they're helping you. Just thank them for their efforts and let them know you're a confirmed bachelor, not interested in a relationship.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Your friends think they're helping you. Just thank them for their efforts and let them know you're a confirmed bachelor, not interested in a relationship.
You know that in the 1950s the phrase "confirmed bachelor" was code for gay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships