Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:34 PM

855 posts, read 1,384,399 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is it the women on this forum that have issues when a man compliments them? I know some do and some don't but I believe this natural behaviour by men has gotten to the point of unfair scrutiny. Yes, some guys are real piggish dogs that can make a woman uncomfortable with just one word. I still question why an honest guy with manners can't compliment a woman without having to think too much about being punished for it? This has been discussed in other threads related to attraction, fetishes and dating in general. I can totally understand how some women want to be left alone and not bothered in any way shape or form. Sometimes I get the feeling that women don't know how to react in todays world when a guy politely compliments them. I know that there are real creeps who ruin it for all the guys though.

First lady I complimented was in line getting her morning drink fix. She smiled at me as we both made friendly eye contact. She had diamond-cut calves on beautiful legs with a killer body. That was my compliment to her, that's what I told her. She was immediately complimentary of me for noticing and told me I was a handsome guy at the same token. I was not one bit rude about it either and the conversation was pleasant.

Second pretty lady I saw at lunch walking to the bank. After holding the door open for her, I accidentally dropped my wallet and got the best view of her gorgeous french pedicured toes! I told her she had a nice pedi and her sandals made her feet look nice. She smiled, said thank-you and told me that I was the first guy all day who made her day that much better when I complimented her on her pedicure. Again, the conversation we had was pleasant.

Third woman was simply very well put together from head to toe. She had on a beautiful summer dress with flowers, her hair in a ponytail and flip-flops. I told her that the dress she was wearing was pretty and that it complimented her form very nicely. Wouldn't you know it, I almost got a date out of it of which she told me that she wished her husband paid attention to her like I did. Even told me I was a "real cutie" for noticing and wondered where I was all this time!

Again, did I just luck out with three lovely ladies who weren't creeped out by me or are the women on CD and in other cyberspace forums that much more uptight about compliments? In all three situations, I never came across as creepy, but respectful and polite. They all seemed to appreciate me taking a polite interest in their fashion sense and good looks, thankfully.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:38 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,855 times
I've never given a man a hard time for a compliment on a body part. I'd rather be complimented on an actual accomplishment give my legs have been the shape for 15 odd years and I didn't earn them. But I've never freaked out on a man for offering a compliment.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Maybe you just lucked out. Or maybe those women put a lot of emphasis on how they look. Not all women do.

When I get complimented on random body parts I may smile and say thank you but I'll try to get out of that situation quickly. I don't like being reduced down to a bunch of body parts, but that's a personal thing. I know a few women who put their entire self worth into what other people think they look like.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:49 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
Is it just me or is it the women on this forum that have issues when a man compliments them? I know some do and some don't but I believe this natural behaviour by men has gotten to the point of unfair scrutiny. Yes, some guys are real piggish dogs that can make a woman uncomfortable with just one word. I still question why an honest guy with manners can't compliment a woman without having to think too much about being punished for it? This has been discussed in other threads related to attraction, fetishes and dating in general. I can totally understand how some women want to be left alone and not bothered in any way shape or form. Sometimes I get the feeling that women don't know how to react in todays world when a guy politely compliments them. I know that there are real creeps who ruin it for all the guys though.

First lady I complimented was in line getting her morning drink fix. She smiled at me as we both made friendly eye contact. She had diamond-cut calves on beautiful legs with a killer body. That was my compliment to her, that's what I told her. She was immediately complimentary of me for noticing and told me I was a handsome guy at the same token. I was not one bit rude about it either and the conversation was pleasant.

Second pretty lady I saw at lunch walking to the bank. After holding the door open for her, I accidentally dropped my wallet and got the best view of her gorgeous french pedicured toes! I told her she had a nice pedi and her sandals made her feet look nice. She smiled, said thank-you and told me that I was the first guy all day who made her day that much better when I complimented her on her pedicure. Again, the conversation we had was pleasant.

Third woman was simply very well put together from head to toe. She had on a beautiful summer dress with flowers, her hair in a ponytail and flip-flops. I told her that the dress she was wearing was pretty and that it complimented her form very nicely. Wouldn't you know it, I almost got a date out of it of which she told me that she wished her husband paid attention to her like I did. Even told me I was a "real cutie" for noticing and wondered where I was all this time!

Again, did I just luck out with three lovely ladies who weren't creeped out by me or are the women on CD and in other cyberspace forums that much more uptight about compliments? In all three situations, I never came across as creepy, but respectful and polite. They all seemed to appreciate me taking a polite interest in their fashion sense and good looks, thankfully.
It's all in how you project the compliment.
Now to complete the experiment you need an unattractive guy to pay the same three women the same compliment verbatim.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:51 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Amazing what happens when you think of something more creative than "nice rack."

Old 06-17-2013, 03:54 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Amazing what happens when you think of something more creative than "nice rack."
........or "damn! those hot legs go right up and make an ass out of themselves!"

Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
lol! This is it. OP, I don't know where you got the idea that women here don't like men to compliment them (??). Telling a woman they're wearing a fabulous dress, or remarking on a nice nail job or pedi, or a great new haircut, or whatever, is one thing. "Gosh, ma'am, nice bazoongas!" is a different matter. I'm sure you can appreciate the subtle difference.

What if a woman walked up to you at the bank and told you those tight pants you were wearing that day really showed off your package well? It's one thing to say, "Hey, NICE. SUIT!", or to say your suit is well-tailored. But when it comes to complimenting more intimate details? "Nice tushie, sir, don't be hiding it under your sport coat, now!"

Get it? No? *sigh* ...I guess it's just different for guys.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:20 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Compliments are nice, but they do sometimes make me feel a bit uncomfortable. At work today, a guy who I had never seen before and never spoken to randomly told me that I'm very pretty. I said "thanks" because it was a nice compliment and I didn't feel like he was being creepy or anything, but I was still caught off guard.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Shortnblack, they were in a public place where there was no anonymity. They didn't necessarily like it (they may have, I just personally wouldn't jump to that conclusion if I were you). But IRL, with people all around us and our mothers' demands that we constantly be polite ringing in our ears, even when we're made uncomfortable, if we're not outright accosted we're going to smile politely and then get away fast.

Not saying every compliment is bad, but if you're noticing a dichotomy of RL v. on the internet, that's likely why.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:13 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
OP, I glad that you received great responses to your compliments. But when women receive compliments, the compliments are often followed by lewd comments and unwanted attention. And other times men simply think that its an "invitation" if we are overly appreciative of the attention. It really is a very fine line but I am glad that you received positive results from your observations and comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships