Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times

Advertisements

It is all about impulse control and self discipline. If you cannot control yourself enough to restrict your calories then you most likely will struggle with obesity for life. Many times there are other addictions going on as well (smoking, alcohol, etc).

Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
I think it is rather sad that the fat-shaming extends to those individuals who prefer to date overweight people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
There are plenty of chubby chasers out there...
Just wanted to point out the two comments, the latter of which certainly sounds stereotypical and shaming. Why can't someone love another person for who they are as a whole, not because they are over weight or in spite of it?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, no. It's pretty much the direct opposite. A (healthy) man naturally has more muscle v. fat than a (healthy) woman, which means men burn more calories just sitting there than women do. Men's hormones exist in ratios and interact in specific ways for the development of muscle with even minimal exertion. Men also don't experience extreme hormonal changes comparable to a menstrual period or pregnancy. In addition, men's bone density is greater/their bones weigh more, so a man carrying around a 150-lb. frame has automatic weight resistance (and more calorie burning) than a woman carrying around a 150-lb. frame.

In addition, men are not biologically set up to retain fat the way women are. Obviously we're not biologically set up to be obese, I'm not saying that. But the female body, from its very structure (muscle percentage) to the hormones involved, encourages the retention of weight on the assumption that at some point, the woman may need to carry a pregnancy and may be out of commission for a period of time afterward, hence making it harder for her to procure food.

It is much easier for a man to lose weight and "tone up" than it is for a woman to lose weight and "tone up."

Yet we're still the thinner sex...

We must be trying harder. Kind of puts the whole "women are fat because they're just not trying" theory in the pot!
Nah. You are trying harder, but its based on the fact that physical looks mean everything for a woman. THey only mean little for a man, when it comes to attracting the opposite sex. Perhaps if you had lil more to offer, this would be the case.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:39 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I was in really good shape in 2008. I had the athletic look and my muscles showed. Unfortunately I put on a lot of bad weight the next few years even though I was still going to the gym. I looked horrible and a lot of people(guys and girls) who haven't seen me for a long time asked why I became so fat. This hurt but I really needed those types of comments to lose some weight, otherwise I might have put on more weight and become even fatter!

Everyone is different with the way they react to rude comments but sometimes we need people to tell us the truth. Although some people could have said it in a nicer way I don't begrudge them for being blunt.
I suspect you may be in the minority there. Rude comments did not help me. They had the opposite effect. I had a mirror, I knew I was fat. Hell, I was obese. I had to get to the point where I said, for myself, enough is enough. The encouragement I have received from others has been so helpful and is a large reason I haven't given up. Negativity would only bring me down and probably would have led to me throwing in the towel.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Just wanted to point out the two comments, the latter of which certainly sounds stereotypical and shaming. Why can't someone love another person for who they are as a whole, not because they are over weight or in spite of it?
Why does it sound stereotypical and shaming? Physical appearance is part of the total package. Attraction has to start somewhere, more often than not, it starts with looks.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 AM

410 posts, read 515,267 times
If you're an athlete and she is obese, then I suggest you put her in jail.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:45 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
A tall woman who is strong and weighs 160 pounds or even more is NOT over weight. A woman needs a bit of body fat to be healthy and to produce estrogen...I hear of woman who want a "wash board" stomach...In nature the only time a woman would have such an abdomen is when there is a famine and they are about to starve to death.. A man with a washboard stomach is also half starved...These new ideas of body image are stupid...a little fat is normal and healthy and it is NOT attractive...a bony rake of a woman is unattractive.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
A tall woman who is strong and weighs 160 pounds or even more is NOT over weight. A woman needs a bit of body fat to be healthy and to produce estrogen...I hear of woman who want a "wash board" stomach...In nature the only time a woman would have such an abdomen is when there is a famine and they are about to starve to death.. A man with a washboard stomach is also half starved...These new ideas of body image are stupid...a little fat is normal and healthy and it is NOT attractive...a bony rake of a woman is unattractive.
washboard stomach on women

http://blog.nutrianswers.com/nutriti...011/12/abs.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/19...bd9beb3979.jpg

http://www.fitness.com/articles/uplo...ia_1598328.jpg

washboard stomach on men

http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/e...ch-800x800.jpg

http://flatstomachadvice.files.wordp...ch-in-days.jpg

Differences between curves and fat

http://wtfcontent.com/img/132310620469.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I consume 2000 calories a day every single day. I consider myself a semi professional athlete. Back in my college days, I ate 3000 calories a day. I had /have and will forever have washboard stomach, But I do NOT want a six pack on me. I like being tall, long, lean, toned, with nice natural curves. Swimsuit models and playboy playmates have the best bodies, in my most humble opinion. They do NOT starve themselves, almost every single one of them workout.

I don't starve myself and I love cooking and eating.

Please get your facts straight. I don't know if you were joking or you were actually serious.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-20-2013 at 08:58 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Nah. You are trying harder, but its based on the fact that physical looks mean everything for a woman. THey only mean little for a man, when it comes to attracting the opposite sex. Perhaps if you had lil more to offer, this would be the case.
I have quite a lot to offer and for the majority of my life I have been very thin. (By working at it, I might add.)

Having babies at 35 and 38 threw that off a bit but no matter, I'm working away once again to getting back to being thin.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Quote:
Depends on the age group, but you are understimating the importance of looks for men, they mean more than a little. While there are exceptions, in real life it is rare to see a striking woman with a man that is considerably less attractive than her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships