Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 PM

13,577 posts, read 9,594,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
If you hung around a different crowd I will guarantee you this wouldn't be the case. I teach graduate students, most are between 22-28 years old. Almost none of my female students have the slightest desire to have children and very few, if any, have children. Sure, they want to find a BF, but they're not hung up on marriage and recoil from the idea of being saddled with kids. There is the occasional exception, as there is for all situations in life.

I think you'll find that the more highly educated a woman is, the less their desire to have kids. Marriage is fine, but kids? Not on the agenda, generally speaking.
We hired some of your female graduate students (well, not literally, or probably not literally) in our organization. Initially the high academic achievers will put schooling and career first - but only initially. By age 35, all of our female PhD engineers have several children. Some have managed to do this while maintaining an enviable publication record. Others have let their careers slide. But the common characteristic is that in their 30s, all become wives and mothers.

I often find myself scanning the room while sitting in a meeting. There might be 20 people around the table, ranging in age from 35 to 60. Not a one - except for me - is without a wedding ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,918,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
We hired some of your female graduate students (well, not literally, or probably not literally) in our organization. Initially the high academic achievers will put schooling and career first - but only initially. By age 35, all of our female PhD engineers have several children. Some have managed to do this while maintaining an enviable publication record. Others have let their careers slide. But the common characteristic is that in their 30s, all become wives and mothers.

I often find myself scanning the room while sitting in a meeting. There might be 20 people around the table, ranging in age from 35 to 60. Not a one - except for me - is without a wedding ring.
This checks out with my observations as well. Although, I personally have only lived in "provincial" locations, never somewhere cosmopolitan like San Francisco, New York, or Chicago.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,483,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
If you hung around a different crowd I will guarantee you this wouldn't be the case. I teach graduate students, most are between 22-28 years old. Almost none of my female students have the slightest desire to have children and very few, if any, have children. Sure, they want to find a BF, but they're not hung up on marriage and recoil from the idea of being saddled with kids. There is the occasional exception, as there is for all situations in life.

I think you'll find that the more highly educated a woman is, the less their desire to have kids. Marriage is fine, but kids? Not on the agenda, generally speaking.

Agree. ohio_peasant seems to live in a desperate housewives-suburbia-nightmare in where everyone is married and apparently happy. World is not like that at all.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Agree. ohio_peasant seems to live in a desperate housewives-suburbia-nightmare in where everyone is married and apparently happy. World is not like that at all.
My observation is that in most of America, people generally get married or at least engaged by aged 30. Now, many marriages and engagements do not end happily, but they still exist.

I cannot speak for the true urban centers, particularly Chicago, San Fran, and NYC, because I've never lived there or spent more than fleeting moments there.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,483,475 times
davros: it might have to do with where we live, then, our different vissions and experiences. In my experience is the complete opposite: no one is married in their early 30s.

I live here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buenos_Aires

Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,573,192 times
I've had a few long term relationships (1 year or longer). In my first couple I was young and dumb and had my heart broken as well as broke a heart. I definitely wasn't ready to get married in my late teens to early twenties though. I spent the next 5 years with a bit of dating, but mostly living by myself and working. I think the by myself time did really help when I met my fiance. I was a lot more self aware as well as having something to offer. I do believe certain people can marry early, but they have to be the right type of people.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
davros: it might have to do with where we live, then, our different vissions and experiences. In my experience is the complete opposite: no one is married in their early 30s.

I live here: Buenos Aires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, I think what I have experienced is what the majority of Americans have experienced.

I've never been outside the USA.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,452,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
A solitary life is viable for me.

It's been 9 years since my last "date" if you could call it that.

You can always do stuff with friends or family members even if you don't have a girlfriend.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yes, I am telling the truth. I haven't gone out with a woman in 9 years.

And I am finally happy with that, and satisfied with the solitary life.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:13 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,408,016 times
its something everyone does at some point in life. focus on "what they want" rather then what they could have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships