Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
As much as I wanted to disagree you, I do notice that you used the word "most". As long as you are not bashing all the military men who served the country, I have no problems with ya.

I can ONLY talk about my own brother and my ex boyfriend. Both of them are from upper middle class. My brother chose the Marine over Medical school. He just wanted to serve the country. Just want to make it very clear.

Before you talk about "borderline brain washing", please watch this video. We don't like wars, civilians can express their opinions about soldiers all day long, they are entitled to their opinions. We as military family has to live in the fear every single day. We just want our brothers, sons, fathers to come home. That is all. Show some support and respect, that is all and ONLY thing we ask for.

The Best Surprise Military Homecomings: PART ONE - YouTube
Exactly. My brother is serving in the army as a doctor (after having done the civilian thing over 15 years after college). I don't support the war but do support the military.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:00 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,424 times
And the military pontification begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You do know that because of vets who have served through out our history, you are allowed and or privileged to think this way.....try saying something anti-government in the middle east.. see how fast your head gets separated from your neck...... and that isn't a joke...

Statements like these don't really have any historical basis. I lived in Europe before I had to move to the US when I was younger and the last time I checked, many European countries and the British Commonwealth states are all free democracies where civil liberties and rights are protected through some constitution or charter. The only difference is that veterans aren't idolized like they are in the states.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
One cool thing about my Navy boyfriend is that he is as politically freethinking as I am. No brainwashing, there.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:04 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post

Statements like these don't really have any historical basis. I lived in Europe before I had to move to the US when I was younger and the last time I checked, many European countries and the British Commonwealth states are all free democracies where civil liberties and rights are protected through some constitution or charter. The only difference is that veterans aren't idolized like they are in the states.
LOL... again.. reread what you quoted of mine....

I didn't mention anything about Europe, I said the middle east, but who's counting really......

Old 06-23-2013, 11:05 PM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
One cool thing about my Navy boyfriend is that he is as politically freethinking as I am. No brainwashing, there.
Exactly!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:06 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,302 times
A discharged veteran? Not a problem. I would never date a guy currently serving and I would have to know that they weren't getting out of the military just to join the police or become a fireman or find some other job likely to get them killed. My Dad served in the British military. I feared he wouldn't come home too many times to sign up for that. I went for long periods without seeing him and forgetting what he looked like and having to get his pictures out and feeling so guilty for it. I went on a date with a guy I met in a club from the US military. I didn't know he was military until we were on the date. I really liked him but I just couldn't do that.

I didn't date guys from my college. I didn't ask guys if they were in a frat during college.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
A discharged veteran? Not a problem. I would never date a guy currently serving and I would have to know that they weren't getting out of the military just to join the police or become a fireman or find some other job likely to get them killed. My Dad served in the British military. I feared he wouldn't come home too many times to sign up for that. I went for long periods without seeing him and forgetting what he looked like and having to get his pictures out and feeling so guilty for it. I went on a date with a guy I met in a club from the US military. I didn't know he was military until we were on the date. I really liked him but I just couldn't do that.

I didn't date guys from my college. I didn't ask guys if they were in a frat during college.
I am a person who never thought that I would be able to tolerate the typical military lifestyle. When I met a guy who serves, I was relieved to find out that he was a reservist...he is in a unique position due to his rate; a reservist who is actually employed full-time by the Navy, but it's not incredibly likely that we'll have to be apart for extended periods of time. He is currently cross-assigned to two units, which means he has to do a several week ADT in South Korea at one point during the year, and another in Singapore, but neither of those is a long-term thing. He did do a tour in Iraq, and has lived for up to six-month stretches in South Korea, but mostly, he's local.

I didn't think the military lifestyle would be for me, and to be honest, what he does is sort of a unique hybrid thing, so it's still not "typical." But as it turns out, I'd have been silly to sideline him because he's military. He's way too good of a match for me to have said, "Um, no, I just never saw myself as a military girlfriend/spouse, sorry." Although it's true, I never did.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:12 PM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post

Do you know what does it take to become a Recon marine?

Just for the record, my brother, the ex Recon Marine has rescued MANY hostages. I am his number one fan, my whole family are proud of him because he did make differences in other people's lives. Like I said earlier, we just want our soldiers to be safe. Show some respect and support, it is all we can hope for. Based on some comments on this thread, you can clearly see idolizing the soldiers is not reality.

oops, how can I possibly forget to add, my brother has dated many many many MANY beautiful ladies. So if one doesn't want to date a veteran, BIG F*ing Deal!

Surviving the Cut - Marine Recon Mission | US Marine Recon - YouTube

Old 06-23-2013, 11:18 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,424 times
Quote:
LOL... again.. reread what you quoted of mine....

I didn't mention anything about Europe, I said the middle east, but who's counting really......
Yes I know what you've said since I've heard it countless times before living here.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
I've got big ups for the military, might not always be 100% on board with the US policy at times, but I don't want this country to ever replay what we did to the soldiers coming home from Nam.

I think that hasn't happened for the most part, I think America learned it's lesson in that regards.....
Agreed. I do not support this war but support the military and the veterans. I work with the Legion and the stories I hear there and from my dad about Nam veterans were treated makes my blood boil. It was evil to treat them that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships