Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Missed Connections
I would be open to responding if I noticed them back 7 53.85%
Flattered but wouldn't respond back 2 15.38%
I would be creeped out and not flattered at all 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,961 times

Advertisements

I would find it hilarious, creepy, and strangely flattering if some eccentric, boy-crazy stranger thought that we "connected" over a possible 1.5 seconds of eye-contact in a checkout lane and thought that maybe--just maybe--I'd come across her (or apparently even his) written expression of total infatuation on Craigslist and respond in common interest.

And they call this a cruel world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I've been a 'missed connection' 3 times since I've moved to Boston. One of the guys I don't remember, but all three had what I was wearing and my tattoos/hair color in the description so I know it was me. The other two were from men FAR older than me and one described my chest in great detail and the other described my legs. It was really weird to me and made me very uncomfortable.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM

640 posts, read 717,535 times
Ostensibly, it should be flattering but in practice it ends up being pretty creepy...especially when one considers that the posts themselves are generally written at 3:00 am in some dimly lit room by a dysfunctional, drooling introvert dreaming of co-dependent Prince Charming...sign me up now!!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,921 times
I got one about me last week. But it was from an girl I met on cl a couple yrs ago. She just wanted to reconnect. We never really dated, just one date and hung out a little. Timing was bad, because I was moving. The missed connection ad didn't work so she texted and emailed. I went and looked for the ad. It said my name and "with cats". Jeeze..how embarrassing.

I also got one of my post on best of craigslist. But I won't say what one.

I have to say I'm a little offended, that she would think that I am such a loser to be trolling CL missed connections. But I didn't mind that she was looking for me. It's just odd that she did it that way.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,066,067 times
I would think it was creepy if I didn't like the guy, but if I didn't like him, I wouldn't be looking there for him. If I liked him, I'd be flattered.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:13 AM

239 posts, read 595,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Craigslist is a great place to find a chair, an apartment or some vintage records.

When it comes to anything remotely personal though, you'd be better off wandering down a dark alley at night wearing only diamonds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarin View Post
I am not sure if anyone reads those...I think it's not a good place to connect with someone.
I met one of my best friends off a "strictly platonic" CL ad. We've been friends for years, and he's one of the nicest people I know. And I briefly dated someone who put an ad on the "missed connections" for me. It didn't work out, but he wasn't a creep or anything.

Nice guy, but we were better off as friends.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,008 times
I would just occasionally punch in my city name, then about 6 years a woman posted an ad that was definitely for me. We lived in the same neighborhood and she wanted to know who the person she saw walking around was. We hung out a bit, then MySpace and Facebook. And I would see around from time to time and we would talk about whatever.

After that, I would obsessively punch in wherever I was to see if anybody else noticed me. Never happened again.

I am totally addicted to casual encounters. Once I was talking to someone and I could tell she was just playing around and I got the feeling I was talking to the same person as above. Never sent a pic, altered my writing style and also made up some story about being out of town. One of those ridiculously creepy ads I have had some success with about looking for a woman "in need."

Old 06-26-2013, 01:56 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
you missed the connection. It's over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships