Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:38 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times

Advertisements

Himain is right on point.

Yes, I've had friends who have done this, both male and female. Too many people define themselves by a relationship. It's usually the types that you here saying "we are one" and that sort of nonsense. When someone allows themself to get lost in a relationship they isolate themselves and in the process alienate friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 07:45 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I am the person who tends to turn my focal point to my SO when I am in a relationship. I don't abandon friendships or fall off the face of the earth, but I definitely don't seek out friends for socializing as often when I am in a relationship.
Very good, this is the way it should be. When in a serious relationship priorities must be rearranged, with the SO moved to the top of the list. Exception is a parent with dependent children. If not, trouble looms. If the SO knows or senses that you place more inportance on other things, with them down the list, that next sound you might hear will be the door slamming behind them as they walk out of your life.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
This occurs, inevitably, when your dating circle of "friends" is larger than your marital circle of friends: two different behaviors, two different groups of friends.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:04 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
Same here. I was always the single girl, who was left behind when all her friends found boyfriends and had to find new friends. So when those original friends were single and I wasn't, they got angry at me for not being around. How was I supposed to feel guilty about enjoying my wonderful partner just because they were suddenly single and wanted little to nothing to do with me while they had boyfriends?

Now that I'm older, I'm single again and most of my friends are married/engaged/etc., so it's hard for me to even get them to return phone calls half the time. I know where I stand at this point, so I'm looking forward to having someone reliable in my life again. Not that I don't love my friends, but I get tired of coming in last.
I've never looked at friendships that way. I know I'm busy, I know my friends are busy. I wouldn't expect myself to be placed ahead of SOs/spouses and family no matter how long our friendship has been.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 AM

788 posts, read 1,271,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I've never looked at friendships that way. I know I'm busy, I know my friends are busy. I wouldn't expect myself to be placed ahead of SOs/spouses and family no matter how long our friendship has been.
I don't expect to be placed ahead of SOs/spouses/family, but it would be nice to not always be an afterthought or to have my texts or phone calls within a few days rather than weeks. It'd even be nice to see my friends more than 3 or 4 times a year. But maybe I think that way because I am single with an ever-shrinking pool of reliable friends.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
i have a friend who was a long time single guy who met a girl and eventually married her. none of us have seen him since they started dating

another friend starting dating someone over a year ago. i think we have seen him twice since then rather then every week

i have also seen it happen where once the couple breaks up the friend comes back. or after the first couple months of a new relationship wear off they come back.
It's called a control freak. I feel sorry for the SO.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
I don't expect to be placed ahead of SOs/spouses/family, but it would be nice to not always be an afterthought or to have my texts or phone calls within a few days rather than weeks. It'd even be nice to see my friends more than 3 or 4 times a year. But maybe I think that way because I am single with an ever-shrinking pool of reliable friends.
I know that life is busy and actually getting together with friends lessens over time as other obligations come up, but to not even be able to return a text within a couple of days, that I don't get. No one is that busy.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's called a control freak. I feel sorry for the SO.
You know, I see a lot of guys leaping to the conclusion that it must be the evil woman mastermind preventing her SO from seeing his friends. While some women can be controlling, there are also many men who...gasp... want to spend that time with their SO, voluntarily, of their own free will.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You know, I see a lot of guys leaping to the conclusion that it must be the evil woman mastermind preventing her SO from seeing his friends. While some women can be controlling, there are also many men who...gasp... want to spend that time with their SO, voluntarily, of their own free will.
Pretty much a given, and common knowledge, that women form closer friendships with other women, than men do with men. Guys can usually take it or leave it regarding seeing their buddies, while women do need female companionship and "Girl talk."

Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Pretty much a given, and common knowledge, that women form closer friendships with other women, than men do with men. Guys can usually take it or leave it regarding seeing their buddies, while women do need female companionship and "Girl talk."
I need my girlfriends because they are the best drinking buddies I know. No man can keep up, so I have to keep them around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships