Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,125,464 times

Advertisements

It's unfair to ask for many of the benefits of a relationship without giving the other person any commitment. You're asking them to invest time, energy & their body into a situation which has no meaning & no future, and can come with quite a few emotional, physical & life-style risks if sex is a part of it.

This is like saying, "Where can I find a bank to just give me a million dollars to spend & not have to pay it back? I hate having to work for money, save it, and manage it. I just want to have it and spend it.". What bank would "invest" that money in you? You may say, "Oh, we're both having fun", but that's like telling the bank employees "Hey, you can spend the money with me."

You're pretty much offering a guarantee for a LOSS. That's not appealing to most women. This is also what is known as USING.

A woman who will play this game likely has low self-esteem, is deluding herself about the outcome of it (thinks it may turn into a relationship), and/or is deluding herself about her own emotional needs & ability to be hurt (which will arise eventually). There may be the occasional woman who just wants an FWB and really is able to keep detached, but I wouldn't know of any way to spot them from the majority who are not that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,332,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Okay, if you want a friend I'll be your friend, but we can't have sex.
Dang it....I never get to sleep with random women in other states who I haven't met and know little-to-nothing about. I am flattered by offer though. Thank you.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
It's unfair to ask for many of the benefits of a relationship without giving the other person any commitment. You're asking them to invest time, energy & their body into a situation which has no meaning & no future, and can come with quite a few emotional, physical & life-style risks if sex is a part of it.

This is like saying, "Where can I find a bank to just give me a million dollars to spend & not have to pay it back? I hate having to work for money, save it, and manage it. I just want to have it and spend it.". What bank would "invest" that money in you? You may say, "Oh, we're both having fun", but that's like telling the bank employees "Hey, you can spend the money with me."

You're pretty much offering a guarantee for a LOSS. That's not appealing to most women. This is also what is known as USING.

A woman who will play this game likely has low self-esteem, is deluding herself about the outcome of it (thinks it may turn into a relationship), and/or is deluding herself about her own emotional needs & ability to be hurt (which will arise eventually). There may be the occasional woman who just wants an FWB and really is able to keep detached, but I wouldn't know of any way to spot them from the majority who are not that way.
That is an ideally thorough explanation. Thank you. I like how you explained specifically the why of it. I think there are many people who don't know that....They just see something that seems like a positive...and think they'll go after the positive....

Last edited by Clintone; 06-25-2013 at 09:37 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 PM

78 posts, read 119,696 times
Go to New Jersey.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,967,369 times
I didn't think you had asperger's -- and your evidence is convincing, as well. I prefer not to say what I do think publicly, because it carries a stigma. But, no, you are not typical.

As for the question in your OP, I think you have learned the answer for yourself: People can become emotionally involved whether or not sex is involved. Sex may make it more likely.

I think what you should do, if you wish to proceed honorably, is work on being more persuasive when you tell women you are not interested in a relationship. Sure, there will always be someone who does not believe you. But I think if you work on how you communicate, you can get to the point where 99% understand easily that you are telling the truth.

Many women are interested in platonic friendship, or in casual sex. Finding activity partners who are comfortable keeping things at an acquaintance level may be a little more difficult, but not impossible. Improving your ability to get across exactly what you are and are not open to will maximise your ability to find it.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:59 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I didn't think you had asperger's -- and your evidence is convincing, as well. I prefer not to say what I do think publicly, because it carries a stigma. But, no, you are not typical.
I think this is pretty clear, which is why our advice probably will not make much sense to him.

So I will give my boilerplate answer to these types.

Stop treating people like they are programmable machines.
Stop overanalyzing every little thing.
Stop caring what other people think. Frankly, you probably barely register on their radar. .
Get out of your damn head.

There, pick one.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:13 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,584,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Dang it....I never get to sleep with random women in other states who I haven't met and know little-to-nothing about. I am flattered by offer though. Thank you.
you're welcome. so we can be friends, then?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:23 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,467,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
So, what's the best way to just hang out with as many women as possible? To women, how should a guy act, if he wants to be around you more/talk/do entertaining activities...but desires to avoid at all costs the emotional connections/maintenance work that seems required for relationships? Taking into account, that, in all likelihood, he will never want a committed relationship with anyone.
This has become a huge problem within our society, particularly among younger men socialized within the so-called "hook up culture." Many men (and some women) spend their early adult years in social networks where easy, meaningless sex is the norm. As a consequence, they enter later adulthood having never developed the skills, patience, or even the desire to forge meaningful connections with other human beings. They essentially want sex androids--i.e. people who will help them get their sexual needs met, whom they can then ignore afterwards. They do not understand that human relationships are reciprocal, that they require work, and that people have value beyond their immediate usefulness to us.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
you're welcome. so we can be friends, then?
Yep.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:51 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
This has become a huge problem within our society, particularly among younger men socialized within the so-called "hook up culture." Many men (and some women) spend their early adult years in social networks where easy, meaningless sex is the norm. As a consequence, they enter later adulthood having never developed the skills, patience, or even the desire to forge meaningful connections with other human beings. They essentially want sex androids--i.e. people who will help them get their sexual needs met, whom they can then ignore afterwards. They do not understand that human relationships are reciprocal, that they require work, and that people have value beyond their immediate usefulness to us.
Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships