Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 01:24 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times

Advertisements

All of them are happily married, today, except for the third guy who found out he was gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:56 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Lol, I was hardly playing with myself at that time. Playing with myself started years before I was a teen.

Anyways, the 80's was an epic decade for a kid. The music was great, the hair styles were ridiculous as the clothes, and the technology, well, was lacking compared to today. I can still remember using some of my older brothers 80's cologne for the young ladies (Drakkar Noir) my brother and his older friends called it "the panty dropper". Surely, you young ladies of the 80's remember that scent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Around here it was Polo. Instant flashbacks to 1987.
Funny you should mention these scents that were popular in the 80's. Not too long ago I was at the cologne counter at Macy's and noticed some of the new fragrences for men are simply recycled/relabeled scents that were popular in the 80's. One smelled exactly like Drakkar, the other was exactly like Gray Flannel. At least they aren't trying to re-package Old Spice and slap an $80 price tag on it.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:01 PM

523 posts, read 840,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Funny you should mention these scents that were popular in the 80's. Not too long ago I was at the cologne counter at Macy's and noticed some of the new fragrences for men are simply recycled/relabeled scents that were popular in the 80's. One smelled exactly like Drakkar, the other was exactly like Gray Flannel. At least they aren't trying to re-package Old Spice and slap an $80 price tag on it.
Loved Gray Flannel in the 80s. Dating was so different then but I think it was also because I was a lot younger. Pretty much every guy I dated back then I met at Burger King, Ha! Oh the good old days of meeting people in public and pay phones!

Old 06-26-2013, 03:23 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
And if we were in the 80s there would be no CD or anyone sharing thier stories online

My driving point is we are where we are and we have to take the bad as it is and appreiciate the good. Now if there was a genration I would want to live in it wouldn't be the 1980s it would be the 1920s in Paris, but that is another Post.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:26 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
I'd have to ask my mom

Old 06-26-2013, 05:12 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
I'm glad I was too young to date in the 80s, having to shag women who look like they have Don King in a scissor lock is deeply upsetting to me.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:35 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'm glad I was too young to date in the 80s, having to shag women who look like they have Don King in a scissor lock is deeply upsetting to me.
Excessive body hair doesn't work for many people

And on the other side too: Men with Kareem hair dos but not on their head

Old 06-26-2013, 05:55 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'm too young too. I was born late 70's. I was only 10 in 1987.

Lol..nice imaging.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:15 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,441 times
No matter what era, you will always have men who have little to no dating/relationship skills and are socially awkward. Some of these types post right here in this forum.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
i dated in the 80's, i had a car (indy pace car, with side pipes.) in the mid 80's with an 8 track tape player,,, i loved 70's classic rock,,,didnt like the "new" stuff like madonna,,

the internet and texting has revolutionalized communication,,
here's a typical request for a date in high school

i was 17, calling to ask out a 17 yr old girl, in the early 80's

at my house we had one phone wall mount rotary- short cord, so no privacy
so i go to call, and it was assumed most everyone ate suppa around 6pm, so it was rude calling 6-6'30

anyways,,,i nervously call, hoping SHE will answer,,,but usually i get her dad,,,,an overprotective dad,,,ummm,,is heather there?? "who is this"!!!?? i'm steve, and would like to talk with heather" She is studying, too busy to be on the phone" good-bye"
and there you have it.... and half the time, the father would never tell his daughter someone called
I'd see her at school, and she would say- you said you were going to call" i said i did.... she may or may not believe me,,
then we'd set a specific time,,,so she would know im calling

and even when you got a chance of talking, inquisitive parental ears were listening on both ends,,so we had to be very very careful what we say..

mothers were usually better than fathers,,,
and then there was the busy signal,,,one phone in the house,,,everyone used,,,

so much easier today...

when i was dating in the 90's with a computer, i couldnt believe how casual and easy the communications were,,,you could infer gently, without her getting offended, etc,

also keep in mind,,many girls werent allowed to date at all until they were 17-18, particularly a car date
and sometimes, the parents had to meet each other for it to even happen...

my son, now 21
grew up in the tech age....if he wanted a date for the weekend,,,he could send out 5 texts, to 5 different girls ,hinting for a date- no blunt rejections,,
and many times the girls would be texting him!!
what a different world!!
and he could show me pics of the girls texting,,

for those that think it was somehow better back then,,,no way!!!

you had generations of guys,,,focusing on that one call,,to ask her out,,thinking of the right words to say,,,getting nervous, and sweaty,,,as you call,,
and if you finally did reach her- she might say no because of a family obligation, etc, but it was still rejection,,,
much easier to see a text "im busy this weekend, have to go visit grandparents"

and if a parent was "expecting" a phone call from someone else-the phone was off-limits..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships