Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 07:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

not reversed it means that men are taking the higher ground which women have owned for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:52 PM

99 posts, read 190,093 times
I've never been asked on a date by a woman but have had numerous gay guys hit on me. As a straight man who gets very little attention from women but who's more secure than most guys in his sexuality, I'm actually flattered by the gay male attention. It's a reminder that at least some people are interested in you, even if it's not who you're interested in yourself. I've always been fairly shy and awkward with women, but that kind of thing doesn't matter as much to the gay guys, since there's no gender-specific expectation of being an initiator.

Last edited by pwumavs; 01-12-2014 at 10:29 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 09:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
my experience with women that ask is they are usually very very ambitious and trying way out of their league.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
my experience with women that ask is they are usually very very ambitious and trying way out of their league.
Nope.Nice try though.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:20 AM

348 posts, read 549,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Times have changed,and women do ask men out. And they plan dates.(Oh the horror.)

What I want to know what was your reactions to a woman asking a man out? Were you turned off? Scared? Flattered? Enjoyed it?
Like I assume it is when a guy asks a girl out…it depends.

In my experiences, women don't ask out per se, rather largely hint that they want to be asked out. One time a coworker and I were talking about some movie we both liked and she said "see, you and I should hang out". I took the hint. Another time a new girl to the company kept asking what bars were good in the area and telling me how much she loved happy hour. More recently, a former coworker kept saying things like "hey, I was watching a show last night that reminded me of you" and "Oh, I really love that bar" regarding a bar I had just been to. Combine that with a lot of other obvious signs of interest (body language, touching my arm at any opportunity, etc.), I would then ask them out. But this should kind of count as being asked out since they were dropping heavy hints

Anyway, I say it depends because there were three instances where it was weird. One was when a gf of a friend surprised me with trying to arrange a late night encounter (she was very promiscuous so I wasn't that flattered). She was very attractive, but I just didn't respond. Two other times were by girls I wasn't attracted to. One was cute, but weird (she sent me an email about me taking her out), other was not attractive to me (prob twice my size) who called me about something else but ended the call with "just so you know, whenever I need a date I'm calling you". It was doubly weird because she was the type of girl who always had a boyfriend, and I knew her current bf, and they were always the criminal type. In the last two instances I just completely ignored them. I know that sounds mean, but considering their personality types, it was the right move.

No matter what, I like to make the first move, even if it is being hinted at. Years ago I met a girl at a party. She was cute, smart, successful. I gave her my number for work reasons and told her to call me. She replied "you're the boy, you call me". I really liked that. Not only did it make clear that she was interested in me beyond a work relationship, but it made me feel like a man.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:28 AM

348 posts, read 549,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Question for the men and forgive me if I missed it earlier but did you like a girl for months, maybe years and yet were afraid to approach her? did she eventually approach you or did you get the nerve up?
I wouldn't say I was afraid to approach due to rejection, but more depending on the context.

One woman I met when I was new at a job and thought she was cute. Talked to her a few times and realized I liked her quirky personality too. I wanted to go out with her but 1) I had a gf at the time (relationship was ending, but still) 2) we worked together in an environment where if it went bad my job would end. As soon as I left that job I asked her out. We went out a few times, didn't pan out.

In another instance I met a girl who I thought was cute/cool. We became friends because we were both dating other people at the time. Even thought we both became single fairly soon thereafter, we were still friends for a while. We eventually hooked up a bunch of times and I guess you could say we dated.

Anyway, it sounds like you have a guy you're interested in and it seems like he isn't asking you out. It's very possible that he's waiting for a sign that you like him. Some guys need a lot of hints dropped to them. I am somewhat perceptive and alert, and even I need to be spoon fed sometimes

Old 01-13-2014, 01:38 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
I don't run after men. I don't ask them out. But I'm pretty traditional and have never really followed what's en vogue, esp. when it comes to relationships. And so far, it's always worked well for me and I don't have any regrets .

Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I swear, I have the WORST luck when it comes to guys. Most just politely declined though, only a few were outright mean.
As a guy if a girl asked me out and i was not interested i would just tell her I have a GF even though I do not. I do not see the point of being a D bad about it.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:57 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Fear of rejection is definitely a factor for many men it certainly was for me when I was younger and it would still be for me.if I was in the dating world today. If I was trying to date in today's world I would be rejected faster than a man applying for a server position at Hooters..

I do not know what it feels like to be rejected by a woman.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
As a guy if a girl asked me out and i was not interested i would just tell her I have a GF even though I do not. I do not see the point of being a D bad about it.
Because their self worth is based on how hot the women are who are attracted to them. if an ugly, fat chick hits on them, that's a direct insult to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships