Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:54 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,941,029 times

Advertisements

Supposing I hadn't given up on dating, which I have, let's just go through this thought experiment ...

I think there's this young lady who works at a grocery store who has been smiling at me all the time. But I never really notice her. Today, I happened to notice her because I had to stand in line for a little while while she was working at another register from the one I was waiting in. And she gave me a very friendly smile when I happened to be looking her way. That reminded me of all the times I'd seen some woman smiling at me, but hadn't really noticed. Today seeing her smile at me brightly reminded me of all the instances I'd ignored in the past. And I was almost 100% positive this is the same woman as has smiled at me in the past. But her smiling so friendily at me embarrassed me, and so I said "hi" almost inaudibly, sheepishly smiled, and then looked away. So I didn't see whether she kept smiling at me or said "hi" back or not. I retreated into my shell like I usually do in situations like this.

I would rather never date again in my life. But it seems like every time I'm comfortable with that, some situation like this comes up, and I then get a desire to ask some girl out.

And before someone asks, yes, I do believe that she is "in my league" meaning she's someone who seems to be kind of nerdy, etc, like the librarian I was interested in before.

I'm going to ignore this this time, and try to never notice her again ...

But supposing I wanted to ask her out ... how would I proceed at this point ? I've never talked to her, and as I said, hardly ever even noticed her until today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times
Nononononoonono, don't ignore, it won't work for you. What worked for my friend, was waiting until the end of the shift.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:59 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,940 times
How about, "I keep seeing you in this store and I think you're really pretty. My name's George, what's yours?"

Old 06-21-2013, 04:59 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,191 times
Go into the store
Pick up some passion fruit
and some Hershey's Kisses
and some Hershey's Hugs
Then go through her lane

LOL

Just buy what you normally would, go through her lane and start with small talk. Whenever you go to the store, go to her lane, so you can build a base for small talk. When you are more at ease around her and she gets a feel for the kind of guy you are, then ask her out.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Nononononoonono, don't ignore, it won't work for you. What worked for my friend, was waiting until the end of the shift.
People work a lot of different shifts.

I think I'd better just find a different store to go to for a while. Their produce stinks anyways.

Who cares if I might have a chance or might not ? I'd rather remain single and free.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
How about, "I keep seeing you in this store and I think you're really pretty. My name's George, what's yours?"
Wouldn't just trying to say "hi" in some way and initiate some kind of meaningless conversation about weather or something be better ? Isn't it too early to cut to the chase ? Don't I have to wait for some kind of a sign that occurs while I talk to her about nothing ? And what would that be, her laughing & giggling or something ?

No, even if she were to say "yes", she would soon grow tired of me and find me a boring and unlovable person.

I'm not a good catch.

It's better to remain happily single.

Yes, making this thread has helped me confirm it. I need to stay single and happy. I don't want to go out with women and subject myself to judgment on the one hand or slavery on the other. I like to be free, unnnoticed by the general populace, and unjudged !

Old 06-21-2013, 05:12 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Great Healer, I would suggest you get a friend of yours to gather a little intel, see if she's really single, see if she's noticed you or not.

As I have posted many times on your threads, you can work out, run, whatever, till you are in excellent physical shape and this won't hurt your chances. You could get involved in a more serious career. You could move to a better place. Just sayin'.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Great Healer, I would suggest you get a friend of yours to gather a little intel, see if she's really single, see if she's noticed you or not.

As I have posted many times on your threads, you can work out, run, whatever, till you are in excellent physical shape and this won't hurt your chances. You could get involved in a more serious career. You could move to a better place. Just sayin'.
I don't have any friends.

If she's smiling at me as I am, why do I have to improve myself ? Either she likes me or she's just being friendly.

See, having to go through all this trouble, like recruiting friends to make sure she's single before making a fool of myself, and working out and changing my job and moving to a new place ... is one thing that really turns me off to the idea of dating.

Yes, the more and more I think about it and post in this thread, the more and more happy I am that I am completely solitary and completely independent.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:22 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I don't have any friends.

If she's smiling at me as I am, why do I have to improve myself ? Either she likes me or she's just being friendly.

See, having to go through all this trouble, like recruiting friends to make sure she's single before making a fool of myself, and working out and changing my job and moving to a new place ... is one thing that really turns me off to the idea of dating.

Yes, the more and more I think about it and post in this thread, the more and more happy I am that I am completely solitary and completely independent.

Then why did you ask if you were going to talk yourself out of asking her out within an hour or so?

Personally I think you should just walk up to her and tell you that you have seen her a few times and you would like to know if she would go for coffee with you after she gets off work.

Otherwise keep talking yourself out of asking anyone out if that is what you really want.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Then why did you ask if you were going to talk yourself out of asking her out within an hour or so?

Personally I think you should just walk up to her and tell you that you have seen her a few times and you would like to know if she would go for coffee with you after she gets off work.

Otherwise keep talking yourself out of asking anyone out if that is what you really want.
Yes, that is what I really want. It's just hard to ignore the damn biology.

Resistance Against DNA Tyranny !!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships